• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.3 volts on KT7-R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colin

Arctic Silver Senior
Recently I noticed HMOverclocker’s post indicating his Duron was running on 2.3 volts on a KT7-R. He was kind enough to email the links describing the mod. They are posted below.

The basics are a couple of 47k ohm trimmers connected between pin 7 and ground, and pin 10 and ground, of the IC that controls the processors voltage. I mounted mine on a small piece of breadboard stuck to the bottom of my case with Velcro. The whole project took under 20 minutes. To make the soldering easier, I would recommend using a third hand device to hold a pre-tinned lead to the IC leg.

Turn the trimmers to full resistance and boot the PC. Running VIA’s Hardware Monitor, slowly dial the pin 7 trimmer until you get maximum voltage. Mine peaked at 2.11 volts. Then slowly dial the pin 10 trimmer until the screen blanks and then back it off a bit. Your machine may reboot if you go to far. Pin 7 sends the voltage to the CPU, pin 10 sets the maximum voltage. Once the trimmer for pin10 has been set for maximum voltage you can then dial the pin 7 trimmer up for more voltage. I understand that 2.5 volts is about the maximum but have not read of anyone going past 2.3 volts for operation. Note that if you are air cooled you could overheat your CPU real fast. Be careful or your CPU could end up a crispy critter!

The 1st Phase of Voltage Mod with the vcore maxed out at 2.12v:

The 2nd Phase of Votage Mod with the vcore maxed out at 2.30v:

I’ll let you know when the water cooling gear is installed. 2.1 volts idles at 51 degrees with a FOP 32. Ouch!

Colin

So, you actually solder straight onto the legs??? This is great, I did the mod before and pulled the little bobble off the motherboard. Finally! more Volts!

Yeah I pulled a pad of one of my motherboards too. I was in a hurry and forgot to turn down the butane setting on my iron. It’s a lot easier to solder directly to the IC leg. Just be sure to get in and out fast so you don’t torch your IC.

Colin

I did this mod last night. It works fine, however I did not gain any speed. My Duron 700 was running @1008 mhz @ 1,9v core. After the first voltage mod I got up to1100 (10x110)@2.1V.
The second one did not push it any further.
I use prime's self test to check stability, and my duron has round off errors above 1100mhz no matter what voltage. I think the Duron core is maxed out close to 1150mhz @ normal temps.

I guess you guys have already seen that high core voltage really reduces avalible fsb speed on the KT7. This is cus the reference voltage for the fsb signal is linked to the vcore.

upping vcore throws off the signal reference for the fsb and therefore makes is less stable.

I can do 124mhz fsb @ 1,7V but only 105mhz@2,1. However upping the I/O voltage helps fsb speeds @ high vcore, I can run 110mhz fsb@2,1v by using I/O voltage of 3,8v (NOT recommended).

I think the first mod is a good thing since I gained extra 100mhz, sad thing though that it reduced my fsb.

The second mod is not wort doing in my opinion cus of two reasons.

you might gain few mhz by running 2,2+ voltage, but increased heat both on cpu and mobo will shorten both cpu and mobo life. (my temps went from 37C@2,1 to 43@2,2)

If you manage to gain mhz by running 2,2V you are probably using higher multiplyer and slower fsb speed so performance increse will not be much by any standards.

Thanks for this great tip. I am happy I tried ;)

Back