• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8e or a 3.0c?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chocobo

Which one should i get? because i heard that the 2.8e when it is 3.6+ it out performs the northwood by alot.

I wouldn't mind getting a 2.8E and cranking that bad boy up to 250-260fsb, but I hear that you need a beefy power supply for it. I only have a 350watt :(

Chocobo, you will need more than a 380. I had a antec 350w and it would choke when overclocking my 2.8e . I had a antec 430 truepower that I installed and it seems to be holding up ok but I am going to replace it with something bigger when my funds allow.

Dave

You'll need more power, and heavy cooling if you don't have it yet. The gains for a prescott happen at the higher 3GHz range however little is noticable. What you will see is higher temps and a hotter room. Right now the prescott is not worth it, however fun the tinker with if you're that type of guy. Just right now .09nm has no advantage, not faster, not cooler, not more efficient.

Mr. $T$ said:
You'll need more power, and heavy cooling if you don't have it yet. The gains for a prescott happen at the higher 3GHz range however little is noticable. What you will see is higher temps and a hotter room. Right now the prescott is not worth it, however fun the tinker with if you're that type of guy. Just right now .09nm has no advantage, not faster, not cooler, not more efficient.

You think i should wait for the new steppings to come out?

Chocobo said:

You think i should wait for the new steppings to come out?

Just like what batboy said, I think they are right around the corner. However vendors need to move their old stock out, before anything new will be shipped. So maybe a few weeks/month before you see them after release.

Chocobo said:
So are the new steppings out yet?
yes but in small amounts.its the MO stepping and a few threads here about them.

im waiting on my parts to get here to run my rig but trust me ive put many,many hours in researching and here is what ive found.
this is whats needed to make a prescott a worthwhile ocer.

strong voltage regulation on the mobo.
mobo cooling on north bridge and mosfets
HD psu - i went fortron 530wt
better than average cooling on the cpu. i went decent cooling for now until a month or so till i can afford my phase change cooling.

basically the better you can supply amps to the chip and keep it cool the better it oc's.
by cooling i mean h20 or better.it doesnt seem to be voltage limited but heat limited.thats a good thing if your willing to pay for good cooling as the oc possabilities is out standing.

Well what do you mean by the mosfets? like the cooling on the max3 with the otes? cause i have a max3. Ok so i need a better PSU and i have a pelt. Will all this do?

Chocobo said:
Well what do you mean by the mosfets? like the cooling on the max3 with the otes? cause i have a max3. Ok so i need a better PSU and i have a pelt. Will all this do?
hope you have a seperate psu for the pelt.
i dont knowmuch about the max3 but id guess its upto the job.
i prefer str8 ramsinks on my mosfets.
cooling with the pelt should be great with the prescott.

Back