• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8GHz P4C Vcore Too High?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gentleman

My 2.8C is running on an IC7 MB. I have it running at 1.6V @ 3.5GHz. I would like to speed it up a bit more. My question is upto what voltage should I increase the Vcore to? Is 1.8V too high?

Thx

Yes, 1.8v is way too high. Generally I tell people no more than 1.65v or 1.7v at most for long term usage. However, before you raise vcore, you need to post load temps. What type of cooling do you have. Increasing vcore anymore than what you have will require better than average cooling. You already have a good overclock. If you need 1.6v to be stable, I doubt you're going to get much more out of that system.

I'd say that you're getting close to them limit if you go up to 1.65V or so on air, unless you're archilochus and have 36°C load temps. My computer starts to approach 60°C when I go to 1.63V.

Gentleman said:
My 2.8C is running on an IC7 MB. I have it running at 1.6V @ 3.5GHz. I would like to speed it up a bit more. My question is upto what voltage should I increase the Vcore to? Is 1.8V too high?

Thx

Just for 1 round of adrenaline rush to see what your 2.8C is capable of...heck y not....My advice to you is just for first and last try and you should not necessarily stay at 1.8Vcore for your everyday use but just for the fun of it is somewhat priceless.......

Like the above post stick with 1.6-1.7Vcore for everyday use.........

Vflux

mtb856 said:
I'd say that you're getting close to them limit if you go up to 1.65V or so on air, unless you're archilochus and have 36°C load temps. My computer starts to approach 60°C when I go to 1.63V.

60C load temps for a northy?! My Prescott doesn't even reach that on good air when Overvolting to 1.525V!!! Maybe you need to reseat your CPU/HSF or refresh the TIM...

Could be... I've kind of been wondering about my temps since I have a slk-948 w/ AS5 . I don't run my computer that hot though. When it's oc'ed to my sig it runs at 52°C load during the summer, it's only when I upped the vcore one day that it climbed that high.
Still, 52°C is a little high considering what I have on it... I might try taking it off and seeing if it changes.

Oh I am using watercooling. Right now its about 40C under load. I can get to like 47C on a really hot day. But yah I think I will stick with 1.7V as my max. Thx for all the response.

Back