• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2000 All The Way!!! (Well Mostly)!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Win2K is my prefered choice. Easy and quick install and it works.
Have XP installed as Dual boot..... last log on can't remember.

Playing Anarchy Online on the XP boot is very jerky whereas on W2K it's smooth. Just 1 of the things that bugs me.

XP may go on the Wife's m/c, ... maybe.

gahdzila said:

OT - quick question. Some of you have mentioned that you dual boot with 98se for gaming. I'm a gamer, and everything I've played so far does just dandy on 2k. Am I missing something? Why is 98se better for gaming?

Lot of old windows9x based games dont run on 2K (NOR XP, despite the "run as" thing). certain examples are
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
MTG:Shandalar
Rainbow Six
Rainbow Six:Rogue Spear
a few other small freeware/shareware games that were fun as h*** but wont run on anything but 9x ;)

And yes XP does have its place... for those that dont know much about computers/windows XP is most 'friendly'.

mapleleaf1981 said:
as far as im aware win2k doesnt support "real dos based games"??????????????????
Yes I beleive that is the limitation of it. I also have had problems with some console emulators on 2k (not very often though).

I was stuck on ME for a while, as my Netgear MA101 refuses to work properly under XP - when 2000 came and rescused me from rediculous amounts of CPU loud when doing barely anything!

Now the healing begins...

ThePerfectCore said:
Some people would agree, other's wouldn't. I prefer 2000, I still don't understand what it is about XP that has so many people turned on to it.

It's good foru n00bs, all you have to do is install it and thats all, it installs the drivers andeverything for you, good for people who doon't know much about that stuff.

DDR-PIII said:

It's good foru n00bs, all you have to do is install it and thats all, it installs the drivers andeverything for you, good for people who doon't know much about that stuff.

because the harder it is to use an OS, the better :rolleyes:

To me, XP is win2k except prettier .:D

2k is THE most stable O/S that I have ever used, including linux.

It runs on my Dual p3 system non-stop and never hickups.

I run Xpro on my Main machine because it looks purty and has some stuff that I like that 2k does not have. But 2k is still my favorite ;)

I like the stability of W2k.
I've been using it for just over a year now I think and have had no problems other than ones that have been documented (ntkrnl corrupt anyone?)
I just recently installed XP Home on my gf's family computer and so far I kinda like it.
Not as much as 2k, but I don't mind the look at all.
Now I just need to figure out how to remove the IE icon from the profiles of any of the kids that decide they want to visit naughty sites ;)
Btw...what is Cleartype?

ManOman said:
I like the stability of W2k.
I've been using it for just over a year now I think and have had no problems other than ones that have been documented (ntkrnl corrupt anyone?)
I just recently installed XP Home on my gf's family computer and so far I kinda like it.
Not as much as 2k, but I don't mind the look at all.
Now I just need to figure out how to remove the IE icon from the profiles of any of the kids that decide they want to visit naughty sites ;)
Btw...what is Cleartype?

My current win2k install has lasted over 3 years, and several additions/subtractions/modifications of hardware/reconfigurations/etc.

It's still dead stable and fast, and best of all, I didn't have to call up M$ when I swapped hardware once too many times, nor did I have to notify them when I originally installed it. :D

Cleartype is the transparent icon text blocks that XP has.. it's also known as the drop-shadow effect of the icon's text. In 2k, you can emulate this with the smallest performance hit using one of many freeware applications, if you care to. Personally, I have trouble reading some icons in cleartype mode, so I prefer the solid backgrounds.

When I have to deal with Windows, I prefer 2000 over XP by a wide margin. There's nothing really wrong with XP, but I always have to either fix or deal with explorer errors, error-reporting, lost storage space for restore points, activation requests, inability to cope with frequent hardware changes, and a bloated GUI.

Actually, I'm kinda turning away from 2000 as well, ever since I experienced a epiphany and sudden sense of enlightenment while using Gentoo Linux.

IMHO W2k Sp3 is the most stable OS produced by M$. I do have XP Pro installed on a couple machines only because I can get them from the company store for $30 each... I think 2k cost $50 :p

XP will not touch my main system ...its fine for my wife though lol!

Back