• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200MHz -----> 300MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FuzzyBallz said:
FYI for all the people who keep on saying dump the installation CD. Not all ISPs provide static always on DSL or Cable, at least not w/ the standard plan. In large cities, ISPs offer dial-up DSL as the default plan.

Yeah I work for an ISP and can attest to that. But that crap is getting phased out, so in 3 months I doubt you will see any new users (at least in the west) with the dial on demand dsl stuff.

I used my cable modem on a Pentium 133...It only got 100kB/s compared to my now 200 kB/s, but I think my service upgraded...

I used to use my cable on a P2 300 back in the day...of course it was a top of the line computer that I paid $3,000 for at the time. This was before Win 98 was available in stores (just as OEM Upgrades), and started that baby out on cable when it was the brand new stuff.

Now i've seen two cable companies come and go (TCI, AT&T, and now its Comcast). And i'll say, I have more problems weekly with Comcast then I did in the previous 5 years with TCI and AT&T combined! Im contemplating moving to DSL just to get rid of em, heh.

As the others have mentioned, it shouldn't be necessary to upgrade for internet access. 200 MHz CPU may be too slow to run their bloated software, but who needs it anyway?

But just so your friend knows all of his options, there is a good chance that he can upgrade from a P1 200 to a 500 MHz K6-2. That's assuming it is an MMX P1. Take a look at this sticky, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112907

Newegg has K6-2 500's for $17.00. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...343&manufactory=1028&DEPA=0&sortby=14&order=1
It would be a noticeable improvement in speed. A 500 MHz CPU with enough memory will run Windows 2000/XP very well.

Make sure he gets a router with a hardware firewall. Adding a software firewall would eat resources. That system with a few trojans ect will really bog down. Make sure you add mommory to the system.

bs I run Cable on my Cyrix 166, dont worry with enough troubleshooting you should have no problems with the internet, and please do yourself a favor and stay away from those stupid ad populated programs from ISP's.

That 200 will be fine, if anyone complains about speed just go buy an amd K6-2 for $10, throw it in there, set the fsb for 66mhz (it's probrably already set there), set the multiplier at 2, and the chip will bump that up to a 6X, and bang, you've got a 400 MHz machine. Did that upgrade for my old family computer a P 133.

by oo_7
LOL, i work for a company that recycles old PCs, and we get loads of PCs from the old 486 to P3 1Ghz... I could always send u an old Pentium 133 cpu if u want

wow, you would not believe how much crap I'd have in my house if I worked there!, actually most of you could agree with that!

I had my Cable connection working on a 486 @ 100 mhz running windows 3.1, just for the hell of it, you can do it on the 200!

lol u guys are still chatting? he either overclocked/got a new pc or u helped him when u said dont bother installing the cd. He hasn't replied in a while :D

i know he hasn't replied but wanted to add one thing - if connecting modem directly to the NIC doesn't work, he should consider going through a router - they can be set-up to practically any broadband settings nowadays. another thing, jimmystaggert, check dsl reports forums:

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

that should provide you with more information about exact settings and such, if needed.

My 333Mhz iMac is still chugging away after 5 1/2 years of abuse. It does do the internet kinda slowly though compared to my 2Ghz duron.

Back