• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600K OC problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wromthrax

Hi all, it would be great if somebody can point me in the right direction regarding few problems I'm facing recently with my OC.

My configuration is as follows:
- Intel i7 2600K
- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (recently updated BIOS)
- 16GB kit, HyperX Genesis 1600MHz DD3 (http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3K4_16GX.pdf)
- SeaSonic 620W PSU
- Noctua NH-C14

For about 3 years now I've been running at 4.5GHz successfully, by changing CPU ratio to 45, leaving RAM settings to their defaults (1333MHz, auto timings), -0.005 offset CPU voltage, LLC medium, PLL auto, EIST/C1E enabled, rest on auto. As of recently I've been getting 0x101 BSOD errors, usually when gaming. At first I tried to correct this by increasing offset voltage in small increments but this did not help (maybe I should have continued further though..).

Finally I decided to use another OC guide and fixed my CPU voltage to 1.35V, disabled C1E/EIST, set RAM manually to 1600MHz and 1.65V with 9-9-9-27 timings (1T and 2T for command rate didn't make much difference). Everything seemed fine to being, ran IBT on Standard setting and it passed, temps were getting to ~83C during IBT test, ~60ishC when gaming and 40-50C when idle. Note that my case is in pretty bad spot as I replaced my desk and it's not getting good airflow currently. The 34C+ temps outside don't help either :).

Today I decided to try IBT on Very High and sometime on 2nd pass I got BSOD with 0x124 code. I was considering raising my CPU voltage higher but I'm not sure if this is the right/safe option now. With the new OC I also didn't like that fact that the CPU is constantly running at 4.5 GHz even when idle and the temps are not that great, raising voltage more would make things worse I guess.

Decided to try something else, loaded defaults and just set my RAM to proper values (either loading XMP profile or manually 1600/1.65/9-9-9-27 (1T/2T)).
Problem with this is that every time i adjust RAM the CPU is locked to 3.8 GHZ even when idle and CPU voltage ~1.32V, CPU-Z is showing 16-59 as ratio range?!

All of this leads me to these two questions:
- what would be the best way to go back to 4.5GHz (or close) and 1600MHz RAM, avoid 0x101/0x124 BSODs, ideally to have EIST/C1E enabled and CPU down clocked when not under load, what settings I need to adjust?
- why does the CPU ratio gets stuck to 38x every time I change my RAM settings even w/o touching CPU settings?

Any help appriciated, thanks.

Try 44x with 1.35V, it simply sounds like heat instability to me.

Looks like an electronmigrstion. The reason it's stuck at 3.8 cause u disabled c1 state. I have 2500k on asus p8z68 deluxe gen3 stable @ 4.7 ghz and 1.346 vcore under load. It's offset too. I wouldn't mess with ram voltage. U want it at 1.5 V u can bump it a little bit if u oc ram but otherwise no real world performance.

Thanks for the replies ;)

Ran memtest and passed.

Currently running on stock settings to see if anything else may be causing problems so far no issues.

Memtest needs to be run for several complete passes in order to really check the RAM. Like at least 4 passes. That is the kind of thing to do overnight. Let it grind away while you sleep.

I'm thinking you need to start from scratch with the overclock. Because of electron migration over time it may not clock quite as high as it used to.

Back