• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2G/3G question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I have a T-Mobile G1 phone. It works on the Rogers Network as it is unlocked they are operating in Band V (850).
According to the specs of the phone
# Service Provider: T-Mobile
# Operating System: Other
# Screen Size: 3.25 inches
# Screen Details: 320x480, 65k-color capacitive TFT LCD touch screen
# Camera: Yes
# Megapixels: 3.1 MP
# 802.11x: Yes
# Bluetooth: Yes
# Web Browser: Yes
# Network: GSM, UMTS
# Bands: 850, 900, 1800, 1900, 2100, 1700
# High-Speed Data: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA
# Special Features: Music

This is within spec. I want to bring this phone over to Telus. The problem comes in that Telus used to us the CDMA until this past november and still does on their 2G network.
However they are also supposed to be operating int he band V (850) frequency.

I went into the store and they told me it would not work on their network, but I am wondering if this is actually the case due to the network being so new. Theoretically it would seem to me that if the phone supports band 850 and the network is 850, popping in the sim card should be good to go.

(I would have tested this already but i dont have a telus sim card yet).

If I am missunderstanding can someone shed some light on the situation?

well you could try getting a telus prepaid sim card to test. If you go to the store they might be willing to give you one free with a couple of dollars on it.

ya i never thought of the prepaid sim card idea. Its worth looking into to test it out. Thanks for the suggestion

CDMA does not work with GSM based devices and vice-versa.

Its like trying to play Playstation3 game in an Xbox360.

Wait nevermind I misread - how is "Telus" using SIM Cards on a CDMA network for their 2G/EDGE Service but GSM on their 3G network? That doesn't make any sense?

Last edited:
i dont really know. That was just what i understood out of the conversation with the Telus person, unless they are maintaining two seperate networks until everyone is all switched over.

I know that currently i have an cdma phone that is working on their network but i also know they have the 3g+ sim card network. Dont know much more then that to be honest

Back