• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3060 Ti bios flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Masterjuggler

Hey guys, new to the forum. I have an Asus Dual OC 3060 Ti with a dual bios. It has a power limit of 200W with a +8% limit to 218W. As far as I can tell the only difference between the stock bioses is a slight fan curve, so I'm looking to flash a bios from another card with a higher power limit.

Specifically I'd like to flash the bios from the Strix OC to my Dual OC with nvflash. The Strix has the same number of 8-pins (2) but 3 fans instead of 2.

I'm definitely not hitting a power limit wall because I'm using the entire 216W available to me, at 67C under load.

have a few questions before I do anything though, because this is my first time attempting a bios flash:

1) My card has a hardware switch to select the bios. If I corrupt one, can I flip the switch back to the good one, boot, flip the switch again while booted, and flash over the corrupt bios? Or can the switch not be moved when booted?

2) Does it matter if I flash a bios from a card that has a different number of 8-pin power connectors or a different number of fans?

Welcome to the Forum :). As far as changing the switch while powered I do not know(I would not suggest it as the bios loads on boot. Changing the switch I do not think will do anything unless you reboot.). I would however be very careful of what bios you flash. Things like the memory configuration etc are going to be important. As far as the number of fans I dont think this would matter unless the fans are controlled individually.

Z

I don't know why I thought my card has two 8-pins, it only has one. Thought about it after posting and cracked open my computer. So I probably can't safely raise the power limit anyway lol.

In any case, the fans are independently controlled actually, you can set each fan's speed individually. I honestly have no idea why that would ever be useful. Nor do I have any idea why this card has a dual bios in the first place considering the single 8-pin connector and our inability to edit an encrypted bios.

A couple of things, when you switch the BIOS you do need to power off before it will switch.
I have two different 3060 ti here one with a low power setting of a few percent and the other with 30% power increase. One stops at 2130 and the other 2145. IMO without the ability to add a bit of voltage, the added limit doesn't give much more headroom.

I get that you can't switch what bios is being used when you're booted into the system, I was wondering if you're able to flash over a corrupt bios by booting with the good one, then hitting the switch and flashing again. I could swear I saw a der8auer video where he mentioned that a while ago, can't find it though.

It's a moot point anyway due to the single 8-pin connector I forgot I had. It's interesting to hear about the two 3060's with different power targets though. I might be able to push mine slightly higher if I raised the voltage a bit, but right now I have it maxed at 2055 MHz.

I'd love to know why Asus went to the trouble of adding dual bios to this card. Seems rather pointless lol.

The BIOS is simply a switch for 'quiet' and 'performance' for the fans, I believe. It doesn't touch the clocks.. You're able to switch to a quiet mode without using software. :)

You can try adding voltage... so long as you aren't hitting the power limit and throttling already, that's all you can do!

Back