• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 3570k stable @ 4.7GHz... Highest to push or should I delid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mixin12s

Registered
Got my i5 3570k to 4.7 on a Corsair H55 cooler that I replaced the 1600rpm fan with a 2k rpm one off my air cooler. Any higher and I get bsod's during testing no matter how high I seem to go with the voltage... had it up to 1.45 on the voltage at one point just to see if core temp would shut her down before it crashed and it still bsod'd before temps were an issue. I know delidding if temps are stable ivy bridge can go up to 1.5 something volts... just don't know if delidding would give me enough room to give it the voltage to get to 4.8 or more? Also wondering if delidding means you got to jury rig the cpu somehow to get it to stay in place like I read on one forum. Anyone got any advice to offer... or just feel like tellin me to stop bein greedy and take what I got.. feel free. :) Here's all my settings currently.

Specs: i5 3570k w/ corsair h55 cooler; 8Gb ddr3 2400MHz Kingston Beast; ASRock Extreme3 z77 mobo; Msi PE Nvidia 670; 2x 120Gb OCZ SSD; Rosewill 630W PSU;

Attachments

• overclock.jpg
    overclock.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,653
Ok, at 4.7ghz 1.285v, your vcore is not an issue in itself, but your max temp is too high for comfort at 95c. Going higher in vcore as it sits is not recommended due to temperature. And that is what delidding is about; lowering temps to allow for higher OC, or getting you some distance from TJMAX.

If you are willing to take the risk, look over the delidding methods (I did the razorblade method, but will be using the hammer/vise method on my brother's build as it looks safer) and decide if you can really do this. I have seen good chips turned into smoking ruin from delidding, and others drop 20c+ as mine did. Assuming a successful delid and using Liquid Ultra, your temps are going to drop but that heat is going to shed into your AIO water and that is only a single 120 RAD. Can you get a second fan on it? (push/pull).

So look over delidding videos, read the threads and decide if it is for you.

If you do a delid, I would then first do a 12 hr prime at the settings you have now and make sure it is stable with no WHEA errors in the Windows Kernel logs. Once you pass that, you will know if you have some room, temperature wise, to go higher in OC. Set it to 4.8 and attempt to boot. If it's a no go, go up .05 in vcore until it is stable, then start another Prime run, watching those max temps. 12 hours will give you a good idea if it is stable. But I just don't know if the H55 is going to be enough cooler.

I had to give my proc 1.33v static vcore to get 4.7 stable, and it jumped to 1.423 on offset to make 4.8 stable, but I am on a 360 rad with 4 high pressure fans to get that heat removed and my max temps hover around 70c on Prime.

Last edited:
I would consider to leave well alone as some members on here just struggle to break 4.2 to 4.4 OC on that CPU! Plus 4.7 is a real bonus on a IB Chip there is a member on the next thread he's struggling to run @ Stock. But as i say most of the time its your choice. AJ.

Last edited:
If you are going to stick with that CPU cooler and overclock I would be very tempted, your peak temperatures are fairly high (my CPU stays at 60-65C under load, I prefer keeping them comfortably below 80C). With summer coming ambient temperatures are likely to increase and push up your CPU temperatures further - unless using AC, of course.

I think the main issue after delidding will then be your CPU cooler being inadequate, I am very doubtful it will be able to handle anywhere near 1.5Vcore as it can be beaten by high end air coolers.

I think I'm good unless I get a better cooler then. As far as the temps go, they're only that high from stress testing. The worst games I ever run use 100% of one core and the temps stay well below 80. At worst I think with bf3 using all 4 cores I'd have to turn it down, but I pay attention to all that enough I know what games I got to watch and don't. I also have coretemp set to shut it down 15C before tjmax.

...and on second thought I think I will back it down to 4.6 just to be safe, and turn the voltage back down a bit. Haven't had the chip all that long and from hearing that others are being lucky to get 4.2-4.4 I guess I probably shouldn't test the waters. Also don't have a cooler that's got a light to indicate a working pump, hoping coretemp saves me if it ever goes out. Maybe down the road I'll invest in a better one. Just was making the switch to water and didn't know what was needed or how much I trusted it yet. Thanks for all the input. :)

Last edited:
What might be a good idea is you post all your Bios settings for others that are trying to OC there set as a rough guide!! AJ.

Well that was initially what I posted the ss with the overclocking utility for as far as voltages... but here you go. Not in the pics but all the plane limits and my RAM settings I left on auto.

I did just use the default asrock advanced turbo 30 profile in the bios to enabled... and then it set 4.7 for me. Being I ran 4.6 stable before and couldn't get 4.8 I decided to try it.. it wouldn't boot without bsod'ing on me without turning the cpu voltage up to a fixed 1.285 and the cpu-pll voltage down to 1.701.. then it passed stability testing and everything fine. It has crashed on me twice since then while gaming in stereo 3d since then, but I attribute that to coretemp shutting it down on me which is why I'm going to back it off to 4.6 as there were no blue screens and no windows recovered messages. It should be noted when I ran the benchmark I did do high stability testing mode and not highest. As I said I don't stress my pc beyond my games, and the games while using 100% of one or two cores need the stability, don't raise the temps near as high as the stress tests... so I didn't see a need to test my own personal system further.

For those with ASRock Motherboards:
The only settings I changed manually off what the asrock bios gave me after turning on advanced turbo 30 and disabling the load optimized cpu oc setting and load optimized gpu oc setting (the 2 entries right below it), were:
Spread Sprectrum: Disabled
GT overclocking support: disabled
CPU Voltage Mode: Fixed - 1.285v
cpu-pll voltage down to 1.701 (as I read on other threads that helps with stability and temps).
igpu voltage: minus whatever I got it minused hoping it'd help with temps, as I have the igpu disabled in device manager.

You can see the voltages, multiplier, and baseclock settings all better in the oc utility ss I posted above. Just posted these for the rest of the settings I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_20130408_004927.jpg
    IMG_20130408_004927.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 1,454
  • IMG_20130408_005017.jpg
    IMG_20130408_005017.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 1,454
Last edited:
One other thing about the summer temps... was wondering with water cooling how safe it is to have the computer on sleep mode or on if I'm sleeping, etc. now? ....also My case has a feature that allows it to turn itself on periodically for a few minutes to keep the case dehumidified... how safe that feature would be with the water cooler? Being I live right by Lake Michigan in summer humidity here is awful.

Sleep mode sometimes is not a good idea as i have heard about some problems. So the best method is to switch it off and turn it back on later. But its up to you as i say. AJ.

Just wanted to post an update for those tryin to overclock theirs... I did leave mine at 4.7GHz. Now that the thermal paste has set in more I am able to run the same intel burn test as shown above about 10C cooler than at the time of the original post. I also backed the fixed cpu voltage down to 1.280v from 1.285... still just as stable though.

Last edited:
Back