• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3d Mark 2001 good enough to test system stability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wilson

Registered
Hi,

i was wondering if the 3d Mark 2001's loop test is taxing enough for a pc to test its reliability not to mention its speed?

thanks.

wilson said:
Hi,

i was wondering if the 3d Mark 2001's loop test is taxing enough for a pc to test its reliability not to mention its speed?

thanks.

If you can loop it for 3 or 4 hours and it doesn't crash you have an extremely stable system.:cool:

Nope

Prime95 = good CPU, NB, RAM tester. Gets them nice and hot and does exceedingly complex calculations. Many "stable" systems crash out in Prime95. A good stability test is 12 hours of it :cool:

3dmark 2001 will run fine until forever at 340/500MHz on my Geforce 4 mx440, but in Half-life on large maps the game bombs out in about 15 minutes or so.

L337 M33P said:
Nope

Prime95 = good CPU, NB, RAM tester. Gets them nice and hot and does exceedingly complex calculations. Many "stable" systems crash out in Prime95. A good stability test is 12 hours of it :cool:

3dmark 2001 will run fine until forever at 340/500MHz on my Geforce 4 mx440, but in Half-life on large maps the game bombs out in about 15 minutes or so.

Prime95 is good but not as good as 3DMark2001. Prime only stresses the CPU. It does not work the video or memory much. That's why high CPU core clocks make a difference and high FSB's do not in Prime95. It's all CPU.

Forever, huh? Right!:rolleyes: I think your 3D window has lost focus! ROFLMFAO...

I use them both as I've had Prime stable and not 3DMark and vice versa. 3DMark, I find, gets things warmer because my vc runs hot (oc 8500le). Between the 2 tests though, the guys are right. If you can both loop 3DMark for a few hours and Prime (stress test) for 12 hours then it should be very stable.

Psyko

Back