• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4.3Gig P4 seen as 31MHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
batboy said:
Gotta love this forum. I was playing around this last weekend with my newly installed AA8XE and was hitting 4.5 to 4.6 gig. I remembered seeing this post a while back and revisted it to see if y'all had found a solution yet.

I too was running into the same problems above 4.4 gig with Sandra and PCmark2004 like others mentioned in this thread. The benchmark would run through at high speed, but give me super low scores.

I have SP1, but not SP2. So, does installing SP2 definitely fix this bug when running above 4.4 gig?

I have no problems at all!

I just installed my gskill ram and now im running at 4512 mhz on my 3.2E 478 mobo fully stable.

282 FSB ahhahahahaah
Timmings are still TIGHT
CORSAIR SUCKS!
haha
Still testing!
I will be posting pics later , right now though i am getting
28SEC super PI Patched
13152 MIPS in sandra

Stay tuned!

batboy said:
I have SP1, but not SP2. So, does installing SP2 definitely fix this bug when running above 4.4 gig?
Yes it deffinatly fixes it.

Turbo said:
Good idea to cool your mosfets, I know I have 2x 80mm fans blowing fresh air on my mosfets and memory (I use 2 GB). My EE @ 4.4 Ghz @ 1.875V is drawing close to 200W's of power.
I felt i had to cool them. They were too hot to touch. so i moved an 80mm fan to blow over them. SInce my memory uses TCCD chips it doesnt get very hot running 5/4. but may switch it out for BH-5 to do some more benchies.
BTW got second place oveall with approved drivers for my 9800pro in 3D03 Score linky also does 30sec unpatched in pi. alittle slow for me but hey not bad either way.

d]g[ts said:
Yes it deffinatly fixes it.

I felt i had to cool them. They were too hot to touch. so i moved an 80mm fan to blow over them. SInce my memory uses TCCD chips it doesnt get very hot running 5/4. but may switch it out for BH-5 to do some more benchies.
BTW got second place oveall with approved drivers for my 9800pro in 3D03 Score linky also does 30sec unpatched in pi. alittle slow for me but hey not bad either way.

Seems like my mobo is the culprit for not getting to 4500mhz stable.
I can bench no problem but i think the 478 boards are limited to 6500mb on bandwidth, this is why intel switched to DDR 2
Right now im at 277 FSB im at 2.5-3-3-5 for timmings which is tight at this speed.
Anything higher i have problems no matter what, if i relax the timming to CAS 3 4-4-8 still have problems. But seems to run stable no problem at cas 2.5 3-3-5 at 277fsb 5:4 ratio.

I will be upgradeing to a Nforce 4 board sometime in 3-4 months once AMD releases the new chips that support SSE3 , i should get an easy 7-8mb bandwidth with my GSKILL..

overall im happy.

batboy said:
Gotta love this forum. I was playing around this last weekend with my newly installed AA8XE and was hitting 4.5 to 4.6 gig. I remembered seeing this post a while back and revisted it to see if y'all had found a solution yet.

I too was running into the same problems above 4.4 gig with Sandra and PCmark2004 like others mentioned in this thread. The benchmark would run through at high speed, but give me super low scores.

Well this is the best i think i can get. The mobo is definitly keeping me back

however i am happy to say i have 80039 in aquamark 3d!
4.jpg

AZNCOOLED said:
Thats an expensive processor you got there. I got into a FX55 awhile back and to me it was not worth the money compared to my P4 running at 4140mhz of course it was a C not an E.
I paid 50 bucks after selling my C for my processor upgrade and im chugging along in my pressy at 4.4 and couldnt be happier

Yes it is quite expensive, but I simply love it. I first upgraded from a 3.2C @ 4.2 Ghz to a 3.2EE that wouldn't oc to more than around 4 Ghz, then to this 3.4EE. I have also played around with a FX-53 system for a while, and also have a Prescott system running at home. The EE @ 4.4 Ghz is really a nice cpu, and the system is rock stable, even with 2 GB of memory. Personally I would even prefer the 3.2 Prescott over the FX-53 any day (and I'm really not biased, I so wanted an FX-55 system with SLI graphics for gaming) but the P4 EE really feels so much faster at everything I do, except benchmarks.

But the Prescott really is very good value for money, I'm also very happy with the [email protected] system I built for my son. I'm sure I'd be very happy with a pressy running at 4.4 Ghz as well :)

d]g[ts said:
ram set at 2.75 in bios, as my PQI's dont have much love for voltage. Your processor is same stepping as mine according to your thread. SL7E5 Has a pack date of 11/18/04 if it matters.

try putting the vdimm up to 2.85 ive gotten alot of extra juice from my early run pqi 3200turbo the tccd chips they were using when they first hit give me gains up to 2.9 on my a64 rig.

also if you get some of the ocz bga sinks theyll fit on all the mosfets on your board and help out considerably.

hawtrawkr said:
try putting the vdimm up to 2.85 ive gotten alot of extra juice from my early run pqi 3200turbo the tccd chips they were using when they first hit give me gains up to 2.9 on my a64 rig.

also if you get some of the ocz bga sinks theyll fit on all the mosfets on your board and help out considerably.

I have the IC7 Max 3 they dont seem to be hot? If they are they are actively cooled arent they??

AZNCOOLED said:
Seems like my mobo is the culprit for not getting to 4500mhz stable.
I can bench no problem but i think the 478 boards are limited to 6500mb on bandwidth, this is why intel switched to DDR 2
Right now im at 277 FSB im at 2.5-3-3-5 for timmings which is tight at this speed.
Anything higher i have problems no matter what, if i relax the timming to CAS 3 4-4-8 still have problems. But seems to run stable no problem at cas 2.5 3-3-5 at 277fsb 5:4 ratio.

I will be upgradeing to a Nforce 4 board sometime in 3-4 months once AMD releases the new chips that support SSE3 , i should get an easy 7-8mb bandwidth with my GSKILL..

overall im happy.

maybe your having a problem with the nb what kind of coolign do you have on that?

reason i ask is that on my max3 i had to throw water on it to get it over 280mhz stable but both my p4c800e could do well into the 280s before i had to beef up the cooling on them and they were passively cooled :-/

you may also have a problem where your mosfets and caps are getting to hot and not putting out clean power to the cpu.

AZNCOOLED said:
I have the IC7 Max 3 they dont seem to be hot? If they are they are actively cooled arent they??

otes really doesnt do much as far as cooling the fets and caps goes it was more of a gimmick than a true solution to heat problem.

a average 80mm fan suspended over the main power providing components around the cpu will easily outperform the otes system on the max3 adding sinks to the fets will take the temps down even more.

hawtrawkr said:
otes really doesnt do much as far as cooling the fets and caps goes it was more of a gimmick than a true solution to heat problem.

a average 80mm fan suspended over the main power providing components around the cpu will easily outperform the otes system on the max3 adding sinks to the fets will take the temps down even more.

I think im not going to mess with it for 1-3 fsb more.
Just not worth it in my oppion . I think i would rather watercool my video card next but that would require a seperate watercooling solution ,
you know any good ones?

Well after loosing a hard disk. I was out for a while trying to save what i could from it. turns out i had to start over anyway saving very little. :bang head Well after a quick reinstall ( goes very quick at 4500MHz) I'm back up and running, and trying to go a tad higher. Had to bump voltage again, but 4600 is nice. doing some stressing and all seems good. BTW that is unpatched PI
clipboard020ko.jpg

hawtrawkr said:
try putting the vdimm up to 2.85 ive gotten alot of extra juice from my early run pqi 3200turbo the tccd chips they were using when they first hit give me gains up to 2.9 on my a64 rig
this only netted me another 5 MHZ. Had to drop it down to 5/4 again since FSB went a tad higher.

d]g[ts said:
Well after loosing a hard disk. I was out for a while trying to save what i could from it. turns out i had to start over anyway saving very little. :bang head Well after a quick reinstall ( goes very quick at 4500MHz) I'm back up and running, and trying to go a tad higher. Had to bump voltage again, but 4600 is nice. doing some stressing and all seems good. BTW that is unpatched PI
clipboard020ko.jpg

this only netted me another 5 MHZ. Had to drop it down to 5/4 again since FSB went a tad higher.

What are your ram timmings and is your board modded?
Seems like my IC7 Max 3 is holding me back

Back