• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

500W enough for 4890 and Phenom II X4??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rmushoffa

Hello guys, I wonder if my rig is enough using Cooler Master 500W?? My specs:

Phenom II X4 955 BE (not overclocked)
M4A77TD PRO
XFX 4890 1GB
2 Hard disks
3 12mm fan
CPU cooler: Zerotherm Nirvana NV120
1 Optical drive

thx

Hello guys, I wonder if my rig is enough using Cooler Master 500W?? My specs:

Phenom II X4 955 BE (not overclocked)
M4A77TD PRO
XFX 4890 1GB
2 Hard disks
3 12mm fan
CPU cooler: Zerotherm Nirvana NV120
1 Optical drive

thx

rmushoffa,

That 4890 needs 2 - 6 pin connectors. I don't think any Coolermaster 500Ws have that. Check it first. It's time for a better power supply for that 4890.

Well yes, it has only 1 6-pin connector, so the rest i took from 2-sata power connection, is it okay with the connection??

Well yes, it has only 1 6-pin connector, so the rest i took from 2-sata power connection, is it okay with the connection??

You can try it but not recommended. That Coolermaster is really about a 400w - 425w power supply, 30 amps (360w) on the 2 12v rails or 15 amps each regardless of what the label says. With the required 2 - 6 pin connectors for that 4890, not a good idea.

The spec for my PSU is 36A (360W), 22A and 25A for 3.3V & 5V (165)respectively...and say it has 80% efficiency... I already counted and the result was 347 for recommended PSU wattage, but i wonder why my screen it's like refreshing or blinking but really fast...is it caused by the lack of power??

The spec for my PSU is 36A (360W), 22A and 25A for 3.3V & 5V (165)respectively...and say it has 80% efficiency... I already counted and the result was 347 for recommended PSU wattage, but i wonder why my screen it's like refreshing or blinking but really fast...is it caused by the lack of power??

See post #4.

Unless it's failing, that PSU should be fine. What type of monitor is it?

Why get a new power supply just for a missing connector?

An adapter (that comes with all PCI-E powered video cards?) will be perfectly fine.

500W is more than enough.

I already counted and the result was 347 for recommended PSU wattage
Power rating is on the output side (how well it can convert wall power to power your computer can use). A 500W power supply at 80% efficiency will draw 625W from the wall to supply 500W at maximum load.

but i wonder why my screen it's like refreshing or blinking but really fast...is it caused by the lack of power??
No, and the screen is not even connected to the power supply.

Is it LCD or CRT?

Got a SilverStone Strider ST50F recently, cheap as chips and will do what you need. In one of the reviews they managed a peak output of over 600W. Should do the trick for you should you be on a budget. It's also a very nice and quiet power supply, and semi modular while you're at it. Plenty of connectors.

Back