• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC Phenom II X4 940

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LibertyGT

Im a huge god damn noob at overclocking the cpu. I overclocked my GPU , it's rather easy with msi afterburner. But i just installed AMD Overdrive and i'm so lost... i have no idea what the hell am i supposed to do to overclock this rat.
My pc specs are the following:
Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GT 730 2GB
4GB RAM DDR2
Floston FL500 500W PSU
ASRock N68C-S UCC
Please help , i just need a straight forward tutorial , just tell me what buttons to press and how much to overclock , i dont want it to overheat and cause me frame drops or shut down the pc , or even burn. I don't know the limits of this . Please <3

Honestly you're not likely to get much of an OC with that motherboard and you don't mention a cooler for your CPU. There's a guide in my signature for PhenomII and Thuban. Have a read and maybe you can go into bios and bump the multiplier up on or two places without heat problems. The guide will tell you how to make changes and test for heat. Stay below 55c for good measure

Well den.... i guess i need better cooling? My cpu right now is at 54c , just browsing the internet.
Thanks for the clarification and for reading my post :) really fast response.
Have a great day sir.

As Johan45 said, CPU cooling needs to be improved. But as he pointed out, it's not the only issue. The low-end motherboard is the other one. I wouldn't spend money on better cooling unless you first upgrade the motherboard.

I know , i was done with upgrading this pc a while ago anyway . I've been planning to buy a new one for months . I just wanted to pull out all the juice possible of this pc before i buy a new one. Now i'm just waiting black friday . Thank you guys for your time , i really appreciate it :)

Well it's black friday , i doubt i find any hardware components on sale :) I guess i'll have to buy a pre-built one. If i find the main components at least (GPU&CPU) i'll buy the rest of the components full price even if they aren't on sale. I just want those 2 on sale , they are the most expensive ones.

Reason I ask is because pre-built computers usually aren't overclockable. They don't usually put oveclocking controls in the motherboard's bios. They don't want you messing with them.

uh... that doesn't sound good.
well i'll see what i can find, if the pc is good enough then i'll live without overclocking

Back