• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5870 or 24" LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Douken

I have a dilemma on my hands...

Im spending some money and in the end, as in life, you cannot get everything, so... to make the long story short I can choose either of these but not both.

ATi 5870

or

Samsung 24" LCD

My current PC has 8800gt 512mb and 17" flat screen CRT

[EDIT] (Because... I dunno...)

I am getting an i5 750 and 4gb of ram

Last edited:
How about a new monitor first? 17" with a 5870 would be kind of overkill.. by a lot...

Get a new monitor and save up for a new video card after that. Although, since a 5870 runs about $410 right now, I think you could just get a 4870 and a 24" as well..

5870 or 24" LCD (other options don't exist)

And I mainly want to play GTA IV. BTW, I've been in 15-17" monitors since Windows 3.1 so it's not like Im suffering or something.

a 5870 wont help your framerates much if you are pairing it with a 4000+. you need a quadcore or at lest tricore cpu @ fast speeds to get decent performance in GTA IV.

Since you don't mind small screen, 4:3 aspect ratio, flickering, eye sore, large space and relatively low res, I suggest you stick with your 17" CRT. Viewing angles, colour reproduction and FPS (75 if I'm not mistaken) are better with CRTs in general. If you are using one of those legendary CRTs, I consider getting a cheap TN 24" a downgrade.

well how do you like your 8800gt as of now ?? if you can live with your card def get a new monitor .. im sure you will love it once you get it ..

big monitors are awesome

5870 or 24" LCD (other options don't exist)

And I mainly want to play GTA IV. BTW, I've been in 15-17" monitors since Windows 3.1 so it's not like Im suffering or something.

The screen will last you a while so it's best to go with that and then upgrade your rig later down the line. Just don't expect to run GTA IV at its native res for the time being.

a 5870 wont help your framerates much if you are pairing it with a 4000+. you need a quadcore or at lest tricore cpu @ fast speeds to get decent performance in GTA IV.

And who said I'll be pairing it with my current 4000+? It's gonna be i5 750 with 4GB ddr3 1600.

I'm getting mixed comments with the screenie winning.

I got the dilema since I thought, well, I want the fastest card to be future proof till I can get new stuff again... but then I thought... a 5870 with 1152x864 @ 75Hz res is not doing any justice... but then again an 8800gt with 512mb running 1900 reses...

Last edited:
You are going to bottle neck that CPU like a taking a Los Angeles expressway down to one lane if you get a 5870. On the other hand your 8800 is going to struggle @ 1920x1080/1200. Not to mention I wouldn't run a 5870 off a 470w psu, that could lead to problems as well. If you dont mind playing your games at medium settings and possibly having to drop the res a little bit, just go for the monitor.

If not, save the $400, match it with another 4-500 and build a new rig :)

If it were me, I'd get the monitor. I had to make that choice and while yes the 8800gt sometimes struggles, you can play some games still at 1080, and still turn down some of the eye candy.

Why is it all black/White for you? I'm pretty sure almost everyone would have chosen a 4870& & 22" screen if that option existed).

Anyway, I would go for a a good 24" (non TN) for sure if I had to chose between both choices.

Get the screen. However your 8800gt will cry for mercy at 1920x1200. Dont expect to play the newest games at the highest detail levels or with AA though.

You are going to bottle neck that CPU like a taking a Los Angeles expressway down to one lane if you get a 5870. On the other hand your 8800 is going to struggle @ 1920x1080/1200. Not to mention I wouldn't run a 5870 off a 470w psu, that could lead to problems as well. If you dont mind playing your games at medium settings and possibly having to drop the res a little bit, just go for the monitor.

If not, save the $400, match it with another 4-500 and build a new rig :)

What CPU are you refering to? I don't think a Lynnfield 750 would be bottle-necking that. Also I believe my 470W PSU would run the intended setup just fine.

But ok, I'll make things more clear

I have $1,000 in my hands right now. Im getting an i5 750 Quad with 4gb ddr3 a mobo and some aftermarket cooler for the cpu. So I get some $430 to spend on either a 5870, because Im not buying anything but that, or a new LCD screen because this is what I have. I thank you all for all the recommendations so far.

Last edited:
Its really up to you. We just gave you our suggestions. If you get the 5870. The monitor you have and the resolution it supports will make that card severely bottlenecked. So its a waste of money really until you hit a res of 1920x1080 or so.

On the other hand, if you get a 24" monitor, your 8800gt will not like that very much.

So.....your choice. You have the needed information from everyone already! GL!

What CPU are you refering to? I don't think a Lynnfield 750 would be bottle-necking that. Also I believe my 470W PSU would run the intended setup just fine.
BEfore your prior post and subsequent edit of the OP, you didnt mention you were getting an i7. ;)

EDIT: As far as the PSU... well, 470W, even with a PCPnC PSU, that is pushing it for my tastes. Especially with both overclocked... I would run that with anything less than 35A on 12v rail overclocked personally.

Last edited:
Back