• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5870 or 24" LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am currently running an 8800gt on a 1080p monitor. It depends on the game, Dirt 2, amazingly runs well at that res on high settings. GRID chokes, gotta turn it down. But resolution isn't everything either, the vibrant colors are amazing so even though yes I have to down resolutions the games and dvds in general look SOOOOOOOO much better.

Its really up to you. We just gave you our suggestions. If you get the 5870. The monitor you have and the resolution it supports will make that card severely bottlenecked. So its a waste of money really until you hit a res of 1920x1080 or so.

On the other hand, if you get a 24" monitor, your 8800gt will not like that very much.

So.....your choice. You have the needed information from everyone already! GL!
Thanks, and I'm very sorry for being closed to options and/or an azz.
I should had make things clear from the start.

I think I'll be going for the LCD screen.

Any chance you could snag the LCD and maybe pick up another 8800GT on the cheap for some SLI action?

If it's one or the other, I'd also pick up the LCD.

Cant SLI on that board (or Crossfire), single PCIe x16 slot... :(

Im also now worried about the PSU...(see my edit above Douken)

Thanks, and I'm very sorry for being closed to options and/or an azz.
I should had make things clear from the start.

I think I'll be going for the LCD screen.

You can always buy a graphics card later on. The screen will most likely have a longer useful lifespan and the 8800GT will do for now.

personally, I'd go ahead with the LCD. Still waiting on the 5870s to drop to their ACTUAL price. I cant justify paying 450ish for a new 5870.

I'd go for the monitor. It will last you a while and you'll be spending about half as much money so you'll be able to upgrade your card sooner rather than later. In my mind you'll be better off with the 8800 + new monitor than you would be with the 5870 + old monitor.

Why is it all black/White for you? I'm pretty sure almost everyone would have chosen a 4870& & 22" screen if that option existed).

Anyway, I would go for a a good 24" (non TN) for sure if I had to chose between both choices.

Problem is, you can't really get a IPS for $400.

Btw, if you do plan on getting good, accurate colours, do get a calibrator too.

IMO i would go with a 32" Lcd instead. Yeah the resolution isn't going to be 1900X but ****.. Do you REALLY need it?

Like someone mentioned, get both a monitor and a card. You could get a decent 24" like this, and a 5770, with the plan to add another 5770 down the road. You then have a setup that surpasses the 5850, and even the 5870 in some apps, while drawing less power than a single 5870. And you have your monitor. I upgraded from a 17" to a 22" wide-screen, its almost a spiritual experience...

To me, the 5870 is kind of pointless. Maybe more justifiable since the price increase of the 5850, but at the original MSRP of $259, I would be at odds with the person who spends $100 more on the 5870. There really isn't a sizable enough difference to make it worth the extra coin.

LogicBuy

I have a 24 inch asus TN panel that does 1920x1080. Its a fantastic monitor. I still have yet buy into the hate on TN panels.

Got two Benq g2400w (tn) myself, so no hate intended. It's just that if I could, I would probably have bought high quality IPS screens.

24" is generally considered as the best screen size for a desktop configuration, and is so considered as a longterm upgrade.
If you already have the perfect size, you only want to upgrade it to something with more performances/quality. So why not directly take a high quality screen?

I'd say go for the monitor. You'll be very very happy with the extra monitor real estate. Plus a 8800 isnt to bad..

Back