• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5950x Thermals Too Hot - Advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdexter

Hi Folks,

Im running a 5950x on an ASUS ROG Dark Hero, I have an Arctic Freezer AIO 360 with a total of 11 fans, the systems always runs very cool.

The introduction of the 5950x and temps well things have changed, she runs around 50 degrees whilst idling or doing mundane tasks, I have overclocked but I use the ALL CORES + the PBO as described by a few videos and posts:

I have made my own settings from that but I am no expert and would like some help in ways I can reduce the Temps, I have made a gallery in IMGUR of all my BIOS settings.

Dark Hero x570 Motherboard with BIOS 3101 My Settings 5950x - overclocking post - Imgur

I would like for some feedback based on my settings and any suggestions please to reduce thermals, thanks in advance!

Can you please just tell us what your temps are under all core load and what program constitutes said load (cinebench, prime95, etc)?

What program are you using to monitor Temps with. HWInfo64 is what we have been recommending for Ryzen. Also make sure you have the latest version switching up to the 5800X from the 3900X in my sig showed error reporting from my monitoring apps.

Upload your pics to the forums, I'm uploading your 1st page, do the rest. Also lower the core voltage, that should help with temps.

dark.jpeg

Could you specify which cinebench, 85c doesn't sound to bad for R20 (or 23 presumably) given the heavy use of AVX. Granted my 3700x reaches 72.6C on R20, but it has a much lower power draw, half the cores, and is under a custom loop. It's still 7nm even though it's only Zen2 so power / thermals should be similar, although if anything Zen3 has been using a bit more voltage so higher temps are to be expected. My idle temps bounce between 40c and 50c. I don't think anything is wrong here to be honest. Load temps are much more important than idle temps. Also if your coming from a different CPU brand or generation, it's important to note that different CPUs measure temperature differently so there is no apples to apples comparison.

If you decide to undervolt make sure to use some sort of benchmark as a frame of reference and review this article https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3494-amd-ryzen-3000-undervolting-offset-override.

I'm running a Noctua DH-15 with my 5950x. It idles at 35 and goes to 85 on R23 multi-core with PBO enabled.

Back