• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

600.00 and what too build..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A single 8800GT would have destroyed that score for less money, plus you could have saved some money on a non-sli motherboard. SLI/crossfire are rarely worth it unless you are really pushing the limits of speed or you already have one card and want to add a second for more speed. (SLI/crossfire are designed for people who want the very best of the best and for whom no single card solution is sufficiently fast, and who are willing to pay a very large premium for it.)

While Intel is definitely faster at the high end, AMD still gives you more bang for your buck in the ranges where they are producing competitive chips. Since you aren't aiming for the top of the market anyways, AMD is a good choice I think.

When I build my rig it will be a single mid-high end nVidia card (ATI is too slow in Linux), probably something like an 8800GT. I'll probably go with AMD, but I'm toying with the Intel idea. Intel is generally overpriced for the performance though.

i agree with above

you have just waisted nearly £600 on a rubbish system
all them components are goona need upgrading as the games coming out are so powerful you need one of the best video cards to run them aswell as other factors of course.

for that price you could of got a

E8400 cpu £145
pk5-e motherboard £90
2gb pc2-8500 dominator £80
hyper psu £40
8800gt or 8800gts g92 of course £170
raptor £100

would of been a kick *** system

oh well nevermind

i agree with above

you have just waisted nearly £600 on a rubbish system
all them components are goona need upgrading as the games coming out are so powerful you need one of the best video cards to run them aswell as other factors of course.

for that price you could of got a

E8400 cpu £145
pk5-e motherboard £90
2gb pc2-8500 dominator £80
hyper psu £40
8800gt or 8800gts g92 of course £170
raptor £100

would of been a kick *** system

oh well nevermind

Last time I checked £625 doesn't equal $600. Try again.

MRD, I totally agree with your points...
Antipacker, I, really thank you for your kind comments... Rubbish?

In retrospec, I WASN'T aiming for a Sky-high 3DMark score..
I wanted something in SLI/Crossfire that would FIT with-in My budget...
I considered very strongy on the Nivida Series 8XXX cards, more so than ATI...

I'm also very aware that Intel is kicking serious butt on AMD ATM, though I feel My choice of CPU, is more than enough for My needs and games.. plus plently of Overclock ability..
As far as the cards go, well, I can ALWAYS upgrade the cards...To the 3*** series as More cash comes availible..
Or part out My "other" junk here, get the cash, get better card(s), (I got lotsa goodies)..
The thing is, This is My first jump into SLI/crossfire, I didn't want too spend moocho cash on something I felt I wasn't happy with..
Though, I AM satisifed I've built another cool system.. By myself..
I know the proof is in the pudding, so let Me go get this Crysis demo and post My Frame rates and see if it's "acceptable" ....
I nkow that I should of held off Purchasing these cards as Lil Buddy, and others chimed in that Maybe a Single card would of gave Me More *bang* for My dollars..
I'll agree, My bad, I got anxious.. Lordy won a Lottery ticket, Had too be fast on the draw or I'd be looking at a New Living room couch instead.....or something too that effect, the price you pay too be Married.. ;)
Let go do this, brb... I've got acouple BIOS OC'ing questions too ask..
Peace out, LD
:)

that thermaltake psu probably isn't that bad. powering CFed cards though? hmmm....
i would have gone for a 2x2gig ram kit as they're the same price and leaves you two slots. 4x1 isn't bad though. as far as the specific cards, meh. you already know that though. IMO, having crossfire for the heck of it isn't worth the lower performance.

you definitely have a capable system though. enjoy!

If you are running over 1024x768 with no AA then the 2600XTs are the much better buy. The guy that posted earlier showing the bench mark with the 7600GS leading.. failed to show that at HD levels the 2600s scored 3 times the 7600s in the same test.

Well for the video cards you bought 2 $80 cards. For a total of $160 I don't think you did that bad. $160 is a lot less than $200 for an 8800GT. You almost could have gotten a 9600GT but I don't think your score is that far off from what you would get with that since your processor isn't flying at 4.0ghz.

1) 600 pounds is 1200 dollars roughly (actually probably more, the US dollar is very weak now). So those systems cannot be compared. I would agree that his system would be horrible for 600 pounds, but he paid less than half that.

2) It's a solid mid range gamer system, and not bad for it's price. AMD cpu's are good cpu's in the low-mid range and are price competitive with or cheaper than intels. If you want absolute top of the line, get Intel, but in that range, I'd probably go AMD too.

3) Going with 2 vid cards over one is the only mistake I think you made. Dropping one also allows you to get a cheaper power supply, a cheaper motherboard, and costs less energy to run. However, it's not a total disaster, just not really the most efficient way of approaching it.

DjRussel...
that thermaltake psu probably isn't that bad. powering CFed cards though? hmmm....
Remeber DJ these cards are powered through the PCI-16 bus.. NO external power wires/supply, needed, which is *why* I went with this setup, have you priced a pretty good PSU these days, if you want SLI/Crossfire cert'ed PSU's? $$$$$$
I've got My lights/fans/everything running and then played the Demo...
That folks was the deciding desicion..
Well I DL'ed the demo..
I cannot give you FPS, (which key displays that?)
Though yes I can report, I went though the Trailer part, then into the game, ALL settings Medium, NO AA.. (otherwize meaning, I didn't touch a thing)..
Game is VERY playable..
Only noticable negitive effect is "flickering" on way,way background Items like trees etc,, (like 100 yards)..
Other that that, no jerkyness, gameplay is pretty smooth..
Pretty cool trailer though it was AWESOME!
LD

Well, your system will certainly beat mine. =P (Athlon XP 3200+ and a GeForce 6800GT... yeah I know I need to upgrade...) Soon...

I've waited this long though, maybe I'll hold out for a Nehalem... those will be sweet... not to mention making AMD chips a lot cheaper.

Thanks Lilbuddy..
Here are the results...

Min FPS: 13.12 at frame 1948, Max FPS: 26.72 at frame 1546
Average Tri/Sec: 16716068, Tri/Frame: 750984
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: 1.22
TimeDemo Play Ended, (3 Runs Performed)
==============================================================

Completed All Tests

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

2/5/2008 10:31:28 AM - Vista 64

Run #1- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 22.255
Second Run,,,

Min FPS: 15.64 at frame 1950, Max FPS: 49.92 at frame 1638
Average Tri/Sec: 21879460, Tri/Frame: 748954
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: 1.22
TimeDemo Play Ended, (3 Runs Performed)
==============================================================

Completed All Tests

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

2/5/2008 10:40:16 AM - Vista 64

Run #1- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Custom ~~ Overall Average FPS: 29.16
I'll be back later, gotta go do some business..

Last edited:
If you run it on high settings it will be more comparable to others since that is what most others run it on.

Back