• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Mysterious Fake Processors Surface

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
Mysterious Fake Processors Surface
by splat

A few forum members are reporting they received fake processors from Newegg.

Some of our forum members are reporting that they purchased Intel i7 920 processors from Newegg, but what they received was anything but a usable processor. The box looks real enough until you look closely and notice things like spelling errors and fake security tape. Some people think these might have been meant for display purposes in a retail store and were shipped on error. Head on in to our forum for a closer look.

box-225x300.jpg

Click here to continue reading.​

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited:
I don't think they shipped display boxes by mistake, mainly because of the apparent Engrish/typos on the box.

Everything on that box screams "Chinese Counterfeit" to me for some reason, kind of reminds me of when I made the mistake of ordering a PSP Battery off of eBay that turned out to be poisonenous and potentially combustible.

Solution to this not happening again.

ah, Guys,
you didn't see this on the updated statement from NewEgg??

Newegg is aware of a shipping error that occurred with certain recent orders of the Intel Core i7-920 CPU. After investigating the issue internally it appears one of our long term partners mistakenly shipped a small number of demo boxes instead of functional units. Our customer service team has already begun proactively reaching out to the affected customers. In line with our commitment to ensure total customer satisfaction, we are doing everything in our power to resolve the issue as soon as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers."

Seems it was a simple **** up in shipping. But Still why would anyone need 300 mock ups of Intel Core i7 920's. I can see a brick & mortar store ordering this. But not NewEgg. As for them, I lay fault on not tracking their inventory via the Product code, or batch #. If there was automated electronic tracking done. Red Flags would of went off when you had 300 pieces with the same Product code, and Batch Numbers. If this was in place at NewEgg, the exposure to sending out multiple pieces with the same batch, and Product code would have been limited to one:grouphug:

Since they won't overclock, we don't have to worry about the accelerator getting stuck and crashing our computers :p

I think the reply from NewEgg is a good smokescreen to cover up for the fact that one of their suppliers pulled a fast one on them.

Perhaps the fakes were made to fool the X-Ray scans after they switched them for real boxes?

Back