• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6400+ OC Help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaz_girl

Registered
I've just upgraded from the 6000+ which I had OC'd to 3450MHz stable 24/7, and 3525MHz but not 100% stable, to the 6400+ and I'm having problems OC'ng it.....

OK so basics first I guess:

I got the m2n32sli and BIOS v.1201, water cooling not the best but good enough...

Theres no problem with the CPU install all ok there.

So I tried OC'ng it by the following method:

x16 multi at stock volts, 5MHz CPU Freq increments at stock volts, got it to 220MHz x 16 = 3520MHz all ok... and stable..

Increasing it to 225MHz x 16 for 3600MHz and problems start, it boots ok to Windows but then I start getting little error messages and problems.... "Windows Sidebar Stopped responding and needs to close", "Windows Module Installer stopped working" etc, running 3dmark06 gives a BSOD on the cpu test, with "IRQ not less or equal" stop message....

So I thought OK I need to increase CPU voltage for stability from the stock voltage...so I made incremental voltage increases until I got to 1.525v but it still didn't help.....

So next I tried to reduce the HT speed by lowering the HT Multi, but this is where the real problem starts, when I changed the HT multi to x4 in the BIOS both CPU-Z and Everest Ultimate both confirm that theres no change to the HT speed it stays at 1125MHz, so it seems that the BIOS is a bit screwy....

When I had the 6000+ installed the BIOS HT settings worked OK, but its not doing anything now with the 6400+ installed...

Anyway I next thought it may be my RAM holding me back.

The SPD profiles for the RAM say its rated for

High Performance: ddr 400MHz/ddr2 800MHz at 4-4-4-12 2T at 2.2v

and

High Frequency: ddr 500MHz / 1000MHz DDR2 at 5-5-5-15 2T at 2.3v.

So I've had my RAM at 4-4-4-12 2T and 2.3v so its OC'd to 880MHz at 3520MHz, and 900MHz at 3600MHz.....so I tried loosening the timings to the high frequency memory profile to see if it would give more headroom for the OC, but it seems that my RAM doesn't like the high frequency profile for some reason as it made matters worst....

As I can't lower the HT Multi I can't lower the CPU multi and try a higher CPU Freq to get the OC any higher....

My temps are fine at the increased voltages but I don't know what else I can try now... I'm thinking of trying a lower RAM divisor and sticking it on to ddr2-667 instead of ddr2-800 to see if that helps....

I'm also thinking of re-flashing the BIOS in case its gotten corrupted at some point, but was wondering if this is a common problem with the BIOS or if it is corrupted somehow.....can anyone with the M2N32SLI and 1201 BIOS advise if their BIOS has similar problems with the HT Multi settings...

Sorry for the length but wanted to give you as much info as possible, if theres anything else you need to know thats not in my sig or in the message let me know....BTW: my sig still has the 6000+ listed I havn't updated it yet, all other details are the same...

So right now I've got it at:

220x16 = 3520MHz
Stock Vcore = 1.4v
DDR2-800 RAM Divider
2.3v RAM Voltage
4-4-4-12 2T
x5 HT Multi
Idle temp = 37-40C
Load temp = 48-50C

This is only 70 MHz more CPU speed than what I had on the 6000+ so I'm not really happy with this....

I'd be really grateful for any help you can offer....

Thanks

Kaz
-x-

Back