• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

650w for 5850 crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that's one of the recommended ones. go for it

Cool. I guess I'm not sure if the 650 would be fine or if I should get the 750 Corsair (same price just not modular) for running 5850 xfire and providing a stable overclock with four hard drives. Seems like I might be pushing the limits.

The 650W would be fine, but just get the 750W to be safe as can be.

Oh one other thing I saw in another one of your threads is trying to get your ram stable at 1200Mhz. Dont bother. You only see performance increases in synthetic benchmarks really. Not worth the hassle or the voltage you will need to put through them to reach it. :)

The 650W would be fine, but just get the 750W to be safe as can be.

Oh one other thing I saw in another one of your threads is trying to get your ram stable at 1200Mhz. Dont bother. You only see performance increases in synthetic benchmarks really. Not worth the hassle or the voltage you will need to put through them to reach it. :)

Yeah thats what I was leaning towards. I figure the non-modular cables are not that big of a deal vs the higher amps and wattage. I'll tuck them away somewhere.

As for my memory, your probably right. I was able to boot at 1100, but Prime95 would fail. I'll just stick with sub 900~1000Mhz. I can't wait to run DDR3 2000 ;-)

Chaos,

Many times you'll see that Corsair TX750 for about the same price at the 650. Look around.

I know they are the same price. Difference is the 650 is modular. Im just going to grab the TX750 because modular probably isnt that big of a deal, rather have the higher amperage and wattage.

I know they are the same price. Difference is the 650 is modular. Im just going to grab the TX750 because modular probably isnt that big of a deal, rather have the higher amperage and wattage.

With SLI, you'll use all your big cables anyhow. Won't be much of anything left to tuck away.

With SLI, you'll use all your big cables anyhow. Won't be much of anything left to tuck away.

True. I was more concerned with tucking away two of the four PCI-E cables and a lot of the molex and sata power. Shouldnt be a huge issue. Maybe I'll just get a better case?

ya thats a great buy, corsair has always been pretty competitive with their 'sales' on their PSUs, part of the reason I use them for all my rigs. the 520W and 750W ones are just an excellent price for 'budget' folding rigs and rock solid to boot.

Back