• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k vcore problem with hwmonitor, cpuz....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

corbela

HI,

I started to monitor my vcore voltages. In bios it shows that it is 1.25V but in stress test such as aida64 it rises up to 1.38V. When stress test stops it will go down to 0,8V approximately. My temps are a bit high, in occt max is 78(peaks) while usually staying at 65+- 5C. Before I overclock I would like to know a reason for this unusual vcore reading.

Thanks!

Thanks! I have i7-6700K, 16g ddr4, msi gtx 1070, asus z170 pro, fractal r5.

I've been solving this and it seems that I have turbo boost enabled. Otherwise cpuz could not shoe 4200Mhz in load? This turbo boost should automatically set vcore higher? Is this true? Games are not not crashing or anything. This is just a bit confusing and at the same time a learning process:)

Hi,

Your temps are good. 78C peaks in OCCT is in fact very good. As long as the peaks don't reach 85-90, there is really nothing to worry.

Regarding voltage. The behavior is also normal. 6700Ks do have variable voltage and when in BIOS the proc is ran at 4.0Ghz, with its VID (default) voltage. When stressing, turbo is activated and proc is ran at 4.2Ghz requiring a bit more of voltage. When there is no use, speedstep enters in action and reduces the frequency up to 0.8Ghz and also voltage accordingly.

Once this is said, the asus motherboards tend to give a bit more vcore than what is really needed, specially in AUTO mode. Try setting ADAPTATIVE vcore voltage in BIOS and you will see further gains. .. and then you will start feeling the need to overclock and undervolt further, but that is then more of a hobby and not really a 'problem'...

Hi,

Thank you FTC for you overall answer! Never really overclocked before and all this kind of information is very useful.

Actually on all motherboards when you leave the Bios at default setting the VID (Voltage Identification) set by the individual CPU sets the voltage to the Vcore dynamically under load also no load according to Intel's testing of the CPU. When folks clock to 4.2GHz you can just leave the voltage on Automatic set by Intel and it will work fine with a i7 6700k. If you what to use all the power saving features with Intel while overclocking beyond 4.2GHz, just use Adaptive offset for increased Vcore. Adaptive offset works off the VID of the CPU.

Look at the version of cpu-z you're using. Some of the ROG and MSI versions are showing core vid not core voltage. The regular version and the g1 gaming version I found list core voltage.

Back