• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6Gb marvell controller vs 3Gb intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snoker

I recently purchased a Samsung 850 pro 500Gb and I was really disappointed after installing it and doing it a benchmark. I was getting results nowhere near what it was supposed to so I started googling and I realized the marvel controller was to blame.

My motherboard is an asus-p7p55d-e and I'm running a cleanly new installed windows 10 in the SSD. I also installed the 91XX drivers, wich apparently didn't come with windows 10 by default, and AHCI setting is set.

I have run the benchmar several times and the results seem consistent, so here they are:

Sata 6Gb marvell:
Untitled.png

Sata 3Gb:
Untitled2.png

I guess my question is, is there a way to get better results with the 6Gb controller? I read that marvell's controller has problems getting over 400MB/s in SSD's, but my results are not even close to that.

I know is a bit of an old motherboard, but it is what I have :eh?:
Thanks for your time

Welcome to third party controllers, I always suggest using the native controller.

No, Marvell controllers simply don't work as well as Intel.

Yep. In order to get the most out of that SSD, you need a board with NATIVE SATA 6Gbps ports. Though I am surprised the Marvell is that bad if its 6Gbps...

That's my point. I mean, I have updated the controller, tried both 6Gb ports, change cable making sure it was a 6Gb one.... I understand that is not going to be as good as a native port, but those results are completely ridiculous.
I really don't understand what's going on

That's my point. I mean, I have updated the controller, tried both 6Gb ports, change cable making sure it was a 6Gb one.... I understand that is not going to be as good as a native port, but those results are completely ridiculous.
I really don't understand what's going on

As I said, that's typical of what I've seen from Marvell SATA III and an SSD...

With an older board like that it is probably also true the Marvel 6gb controller represented a transition technology that was not yet mature. That's why Asus put the Marvel chip on there. There was not yet an Intel 6gb controller available.

Not really as it would be too expensive to be worth it. Cheap controllers are still worse than Intel 3Gbps as they're usually based on similar chips to older Marvell.
I don't know why all care about ATTO results or other sequential tests. SSD is fast because of access time and random operations ... or all are moving really large files all the time and need 550MB/s+ sequential bandwidth. Intel SATA II is performing good and most users won't see any difference comparing to SATA III ( out of benchmarks ) because most operations are not sequential but random and barely any SSD is keeping constant 200MB/s+ in random operations.

Last edited:
Back