• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

75hz 1440p or 100hz 1440p Ultra Wide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainwater

I am currently using a 27" 144hz 1440p display. I've had it for about 2 weeks and Frys gives you the option to upgrade in under 30. So well I paid 485$ for this monitor and do not care one bit about g-sync as I have not experienced any screen tearing, my gameplay is rather amazing. But I very much so want a 34" ultra wide display. The ROG Swift and the Predator are about 1,200$ and 100hz. I personally think 100hz is perfect. I switched from a 1070 to a 1080 and really don't see much of a difference at all. But I do think the difference from 75 fps to 100 is probably a pretty noticeable jump. Oh ya sorry, Acer makes an xr series that is not g-sync and it's 75hz @ 1440p 34" Ultra Wide. for 850$ So I'm trying to gather some opinions on the difference. I play mainly fast paced shooters, that's about it. I wasn't aware of this monitor when I ordered my 1080 hybrid or I probably would have stuck with the 1070 and got the 75hz but now that I have the 1080 at the moment I can't confortably afford the 1200$ Would it be a wiser choice to keep the 27" @ 144hz or go with 75hz at 34"? Really I shouldn't even ask that question tbh I'm getting one of the 34" displays regardless. But It's hard for me to get an idea of how much of a difference the fps is from 75 to 100

I'd go 75hz 2560x1440. With widescreen, sometimes titles are not supported at that odd resolution and can be distorted.

Ya I know some games don't support it, mainly I'm just worried about 75 fps being adequate enough for fast paced shooters in a multiplayer setting.

You bought an ASUS MG when you should have bought a PG. G-Sync is what you want. If you play fast shooters, you want that 144Hz. But more than that, you want G-Sync. It's so worth it. The input lag with G-sync almost completely disappears. I play overwatch @ around 140FPS with Gsync on and it's spectacular.

You are much, much better off with a 16:9 144Hz+ Gsync monitor than anything else. Sure, ultrawides are nice, but you won't get the same performance, and some games behave screwy on ultrawide displays.

My vote is totally behind 144Hz+ Gsync. I have the dell S2716DG which I bought after a lot of research. It has one of the lowest input lags and response times on the market. I'm getting twice the kills and half the deaths per round in overwatch vs my old 60Hz IPS display.

The mg279 is 144hz 1440p the only difference is no g-sync. I have never noticed anything that would make me want to pay 250 more for the pg278-279 at 144hz you do not need g-sync at all only time you need g-sync is if your display is much slower than your card. If your card is giving you 125 fps and your monitor is 144hz no lag no tearing if this was a 1080p monitor with my gtx 1080 ya maybe g-sync cuz some games id be running 200fps. But bf1 infinite warfare titanfall 2 110-140 overwatch 130-150 No thanks I'm not paying 729$ for this exact same display plus g-sync if I spend that much I'm either getting the z35 Predator or x34 or rog swift 34" if I stay at 27" I'm staying with my 489$ 144hz 1440p with smooth as hell gaming

- - - Updated - - -

But if I were to spend 700 on a 27" monitor you are correct the dell at best buy for 699 would be my choice as well but this monitor is 144hz ips at this speed g-sync isnt needed

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I am mistaken I did see that dell today and I liked it but it wasn't IPS not this one anyway the pg279 165hz g-sync would be the one but like i said there's no reason that I've yet to notice

Actually I am mistaken I did see that dell today and I liked it but it wasn't IPS not this one anyway the pg279 165hz g-sync would be the one but like i said there's no reason that I've yet to notice

That's not true. G sync is for more than "this is slower than that". It's about input lag and responsiveness as much as its about framerate.

I've played overwatch at 144FPS with Vsync and at 140FPS (my monitor's Gsync cap) with Gsync and the responsiveness difference is noticeable.

Ok well I'm not gonna argue with you about something I haven't tried. I've had the monitor 9 days and have 30 to return it. On black Friday or Cyber Monday I will be getting a new monitor but I never use v-sync. And I don't know anyone who does. V-sync is garbage. There is no lag with v-sync off at 144hz. I mean what literally at most a tenth of a millisecond. There are very very few ppl who are going to agree with you on a 144hz monitor. pg279-799$ mg279-489$ G-sync isn't going to make you a better gamer bro. Sorry to tell you. I believe that your kills went up and deaths went down going from your old monitor to your new but with v-sync off you're not going to "get more kills and die less" with your monitor opposed to mine. Won't happen. Anyway as I said at 27" unless there is a killer deal on a Swift or a Predator I will stick with what I have or get one of the 34" models. Or possibly even the z35 if there's an amazing deal on that. I was more concerned about upgrading my gpu at the moment than I was with paying 250 extra for g-sync that day. Payday is every 2 weeks. I got this display to hold me over because Frys is the best store on the planet. They will price match every company you can imagine and their 30 day return policy is the best I've seen. I can walk in on the 29th day of onership on this monitor and say I don't like it I want something else and they will say ok.

There is no monitor out there with 1/10th of a millisecond input lag. IMO the best of the best are around 1ms. Also, like you said, you haven't tried it. I stand by my belief that Gsync and high refresh have made me a better gamer. G sync is about more that just stopping tearing, it's about getting your inputs on-screen faster.
Nobody can tell you what product is right for you or your budget as well as you can. If you are happy with what you have, who am I to tell you otherwise? Enjoy your monitor. :)

BTW I hope you don't really starve your GF's kids to upgrade your PC. You already have a very high end gaming machine anyways. :D

Side Note- are you aware of the VRM problem on EVGA 1070/1080s? There have been some explosions/fires on overclocked cards. EVGA has a program where you can email them and they will send you thermal pads and heatsinks for the VRMs on your card so it never bursts into flames. This is a pretty common problem and can happen months after you start using the card.

The Hybrid on average runs 8-10c warmer than the msi/corair seahawk and the gigabyte extreme waterforce because the copper plate also cools the vram. And on the front there is a reference type fan cooling the vrm. I had the 1080ftw and took it back to frys and did research and ordered this from amazon. I was going to get the gigabyte but I made sure the hybrid did not have this problem. It's only the axc 3.0 cooled and ftw but ya I double and triple checked and watched the gamers nexus video with the long haired dude rips the hybrid apart and thoroughly breaks doen the entire design thank you tho

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, and it was only 50$ more than the regular ftw. The msi seahawk is 25$ more than mine and it's a reference pcb. Even the gigabyte was more money. This was the lowest priced hybrid and probably the best. I love evga tho. But this year the gigabyte extrme gaming waterforce is probably the better hybrid it's very nice but its like 779$

The Hybrid on average runs 8-10c warmer than the msi/corair seahawk and the gigabyte extreme waterforce because the copper plate also cools the vram. And on the front there is a reference type fan cooling the vrm. I had the 1080ftw and took it back to frys and did research and ordered this from amazon. I was going to get the gigabyte but I made sure the hybrid did not have this problem. It's only the axc 3.0 cooled and ftw but ya I double and triple checked and watched the gamers nexus video with the long haired dude rips the hybrid apart and thoroughly breaks doen the entire design thank you tho

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, and it was only 50$ more than the regular ftw. The msi seahawk is 25$ more than mine and it's a reference pcb. Even the gigabyte was more money. This was the lowest priced hybrid and probably the best. I love evga tho. But this year the gigabyte extrme gaming waterforce is probably the better hybrid it's very nice but its like 779$

If you think that's bad, hop onto newegg.ca or canadacomputers.com and look at the prices we pay up here. It's not like we have higher wages than the US for the most part and our taxes are higher... We get totally screwed.

Back when the recession happened in 2008, there was a pretty long while where the US dollar was tanking and we were getting American prices up here. That was a great time. Now we're at a point where $1 US is like $1.38 Canadian and that's just obscene. Everything's stupidly expensive here, and it's worse than just the exchange rate. Your federal gov't subsidizes your food prices. Ours doesn't. A little bunch of asparagus is almost six dollars up here dude. It's mental. When I was a kid you could pick up a giant boston lettuce for like fourteen cents. Things have gone down the crapper. I've seen lemons, freaking lemons, for well over a dollar EACH. For a lemon. Like what the hell... Oh and a pack of 25 cigs is now nearly $15. Budweiser tall boys are $2.20.... each.

Last edited:
Anyway I don't like to argue man it's not worth my time. I just got into this PC gaming thing literally this year. I've already built 2 pc's and sold them and went overboard with this one. I'm 33 and I've never been more passionate about anything in my life than I am about building PC's idk what it is i'm in love with every aspect of it. And It's become an addiction and my gf tells me I have a severe sickness. So there's no doubt it, I will end up getting g-sync I just couldn't afford it that day and I honestly don't feel like I need it at 144hz but I will get it anyway because when it comes to this stuff I just want the newest and best. And I've yet to meet someone who's defended g-sync as much as you have so trust me I hope it's really that much better. Because i'm so pleased already with mine so if it can really make my experience that much better I can't wait. But I will tho. Just another week or two. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

You can't order from America?

Nobody's arguing with anybody. We're having a conversation.

Yes I can order from the US and then I have to get gutted by the exchange rate, import fees, taxes... it ends up costing more. It's really ridiculous.
Also Canada customs and border patrol likes to think there are drugs in everything and they open packages and then they don't re-pack them properly because they're (can't say what I'm thinking on forums) . You should have seen what they did to the surface skimmer I ordered from California for my fish tank.

Wow that's ridiculous. Ya my Dad at the fault of his own really, but having never been in trouble in his entire life. At 62 years old not thinking anything of it. Driving to Alaska to see my lil brother and his two kids. My dad's first grandson. Was taking him a shotgun that my dads great grandfather had passed down thru generatiions finally down to him. He was taking it to Alaska crossed the Canada border and also had his personal firearm on him got arrested and spent a week in jail up there and spent 15 grand on attornys and fines and all that crap. That just happened this last summer. Canada is serious about that stuff anything entering their country they rip apart.

Back