• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800FSB CPU on a 533FSB Board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hosic

Registered
Well, i ordered a new CPU today. I previously had a p4 2.4ghz w/533fsb(front side bus) and today i ordered a p4 2.6 800fsb with hyper threading. What im wondering is my motherboard supports hyper threading, but only has 533fsb. I realized being its a faster processor that it will be faster, but even though its gonna be running the hyper threading, would there be a even larger difference if i had 800fsb also? (compared to 533)

Pretty much asking if its worth buying a new motherboard that has 800fsb.

If it helps, this is the motherboard i have right now that the 800fsb cpu will run on(if it will safely) till i get a different motherboard.
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=159

Any recommendations of awesome motherboards to buy that are around 100 bucks ot less? I dont wanna spend too much on this computer i really use just for gaming. (when im home)
I might mention, i have a buddy that has this matsonic motherboard and he would trade my board for his. I just dont feel right trading my 150 dollar motherboard for a 60 dollar one. Yet it may be a worth it board?

Thanks for reading my long post and hope to get some help.

Last edited:
Well, you could of gotten a 2.66 533mhz p4 for cheaper. Plus, that one is seriously gonna be at like 2ghz since your missing so much fsb. It loses almost all of its advantages. Therefore, I would DEFINENTLY spend th emoney on a new mobo.

well this is not about that but,

hey could you help me, how do you tell how many posts you have done? cause i want a custom avatar?

oh yeah it will help, but it might not even work right, like TheFrag said you will get a slower speed than it says on the box. and you dont have to spend 300$ just to get a good mobo, hell i am geting the abit NF7, and that is a great ocer. the NF7 is like $69.99 at newegg.com
i am so syked

gaming wise. this mobo is awesome. like i said, my roommate is running a IS7 with a GF4MX440 128mb, although some of the games arent as smooth, games such as NFS:underground doesnt skip around like my barton w/ a 5600ultra. if you have money, spend a bit more on teh "G" model, or a IC7.

i also heard the asus P4S800 is pretty good. (my roommate had this too)

Yeah, im reading up on the P4S800($70) actually. Kinda stuck between that or the MSI 865PE Neo2-PLS($90).
I received my 800fsb cpu today so im stuck stairing at it till i get a 800fsb motherboard. Just gotta deside what one under 95 bucks and get rid of my soyo dragon platinum ultra.

Also gotta give props to this site. Im new too overclocking and ive been reading up on stuff about OCin for the past 3 hours. I pretty much came here looking for motherboard help and now i stand here ready for trial and error :)

I really like that duct to the CPU idea also.

ive alwasy been a msi fan, but havent had much luck withthe deltaL series. i know their expensive boards though. i dont know much about their P4 boards though, but i know their amd boards are pretty good overclockers. the P4s800 just lacks firewire and stuff, i dont know if thats necessary for you. but the is7 has firewire and all those goodies. you should just sell your soyo dragon and buy a newer board. 800fsb HT goes a LONG way..haha.

This site is great. i read the new articles and stuff everyday. the people here are great too. a lot of help.

yea, the duct works wonders. but i dont think its worth the noise/cooling trade off. (i use to have my sk7 with a Tornado 80mm hooked up to it) it looks pretty cool though. and it impresses people. but i doubt youll need it for the P4's. they have excellent heat dispation, etc.

The P4S800 is an SiS 648 chipset, and as such junk. Avoid it like the plague.

MSI makes good looking boards with nice feature sets at an attractive price, but are junk also. The MSI 865 chipset boards are especially lame.

The suggestion above of the IS7 Abit is spot on. These are dynamite boards, and inexpensive. They are the only choice if you are pinching pennies. The only better option is the Asus P4P800, which gets you better quality control and on-board sound, albeit at a higher price. Both the Asus and Abit are high performance units with all the features you would expect, constant bios updates, and extrememly good performance and overclocking characteristics.

SiS 648 POS?? (Piece Of ****)

larva said:
The P4S800 is an SiS 648 chipset, and as such junk. Avoid it like the plague.

So larva, why are the SiS 648 chipsets junk?? Does the same go for the 648F chipset? Please elaborate; is it because there poor overclockers or is it when compared with Intel chipsets the Intel chipsets far surpass SiS 648 in all the tests? Since I'm an avid PC game player would the Intel chipset offer me better performance in that regard?? Is AGP 8X performance better on the Intel boards??? Thanks!!!

Last edited:
SiS 648 POS (Piece Of S...)??

I'm posting larva's response which he sent me in a PM so that others like myself can be informed!!!

Re: SiS 648 POS?? (Piece Of ****)
What is you like about the SiS? It's cheap. Trust me they would charge more for it it was worth it.

The 648 was a modified version of the long-lived and successful 645 series. The 645 was a good chipset, save one fatal flaw for overdockers-it gets unstable above 150fsb. Other than that it was a good chipset, very nearly the equal of 845pe in terms of speed.

Because larger numbers existed, 648 was invented. 8X AGP replaced 4X AGP, a pointless move that accomplished nothing. In the bargain nearly everything that was good about 645 was lost. Stability and bios bugs were a huge problem for 648 owners, to the point that hardly anyone cared that the 645's practilcal fsb limit of 150MHz lived on intact. So in generaly 648 boards have nothing to offer.

In the meantime Intel totally redefined excellence (again) with their 865 and 875 chipsets. 845 was excellent also, but limited by the bandwidth of its single channel DDR architecture. 865/875 brings 60% greater bandiwdth, at worst no worse latency, and preserves all the other great things about the earlier Intel chipsets. For this excellence they charge money. Pay it.

648 was actually long ago replaced by the decent dual channel 655 chipset, which hasn't been popular long-term. 655 is a good performer but limited to ~175fsb in practice. With the release of the 800fsb chips revised versions of both, 648FX and 655FX, were released, and they allow 200/800fsb operation. But being just revised versions of fsb-limited chips you can forget about 300fsb speeds that i865/875 so often produces.

648FX only lives on to make up a low-low end chipset for SiS's (very dollar conscious) lineup. It is simply the worst of the 533fsb chipsets, in updated 800fsb form. Its single channel DDR architecurture places it a an extreme performance disadvantage at any given clock rate, and high clock rates aren't likely due to fsb constraints. In other words, it's not nearly as good as inexpensive i865pe boards, but at least it costs 80% as much.

Don`t be so tight ! If you ahve to wait a little while to get the $ to get the IC7 then wait ,you are waiting already. It will be worth it believe me.I am waiting until Friday to get a new IC7 with a 2.6 800fsb . I let my son talk me into trading him my IC7 2.8 800fsb for this thing.Can`t hardly wait ,they are one of the best mobo`s I have built in a long time.

Back