• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 Memory Kit Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
These things are overclocking beasts. I just read this one and the Tech Power Up review. You both got nice high OC's out of the kits.

I could say something about the TPU review, but I don't want to comment on it here. Those who are into DDR5 OC probably know what I mean.

Just a quick info:
6800MT/s can make most ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI motherboards with the Z790 chipset.
7200MT/s can make most ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI motherboards with the Z790 chipset.
7600MT/s can make most more expensive ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI motherboards with the Z790 chipset.
7800MT/s can make only a few ASUS or MSI motherboards with the Z790 chipset.
8000MT/s+ can make literally 3-4 ASUS and MSI motherboards. Listed on QVL for DDR5-8000 kits is almost only ASUS Apex.

Little update:
Newer beta BIOS and 8266 CL36-47-47 1.55V
8266_2.jpg

For some reason, on this BIOS SPD reading doesn't work in CPU-Z or AIDA64.

All other results are the same as at 8000MT/s.

It could be a bit better, but probably not on this motherboard. It's not fully tuned, but mainly because the motherboard has some weird limits on some timings and some settings cause it not to boot at all (the same at lower frequencies). Also, some ratios don't work. It's expected, but MSI could lock not working ratios as ASUS does. I mentioned it in another thread, but 8400 and 8600 are not even trying to train. 8533 is trying but fails. At least this new BIOS adds one more ratio, so it's still good :) Results are similar at 8000 CL34 as at a lower clock can set tighter timings.
Either way, the G.Skill 6800MT/s kit is excellent, and with prices going down, it's for sure a great option for all overclockers and gamers :thup:

Last edited:
Looks like Earthdog needs to use his fancy contacts to procure you a motherboard for memory testing. ;)

Sub 50ns.... :attn:

He tries, but motherboard vendors don't really send much this generation. The same story for all, even the largest websites. All offer mainly mid-shelf models. On the other hand, there are maybe 1-2 better motherboards for RAM OC than the MSI I used, so the choice is very limited.

Back