• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8700k memory controller failing? XMP no longer possible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Good day folks,

Need some assistance, feel like I've done all I can.
Had a couple of BSODs over the last week, nothing outrageous just a couple of times in the middle of a glitchy game (Snowrunner) so assumed it was that.

Updated my headset software and did a Windows update, and it failed to post at the previous bios settings, 5ghz cpu with 3200mhz XMP memory.
Saw there was a bios update and flashed that, same issue, so flashed back, same issue. On latest bios again, tried a fresh Windows install same issue.

• 8700k 5ghz 1.28v
  • 2x 16Gb GSkill Trident Z 3200mhz CL14
  • Asus Maximus Hero X Wi-Fi
  • Corsair HX1000i

I can get the memory kit to run at around 2800mhz with 1.35-1.4v but previously it was rock solid 1.35v at 3200mhz.
I've tried another memory kit (Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz 2x 8gb) again same problem won't run XMP, it won't even post, it just seems to hang pre-POST with the error on the board usually B1.

Also not sure if it's an error in CPUID but if I put the sticks in slots 1&3 it still says dual channel, I thought only 2&4 were possible for dual channel?

Does this suggest a failing memory kit(s), a motherboard issue, or a processor issue?
How do I go about diagnosing it so I can be sure to replace the right hardware?

I don't have another processor/motherboard sitting around unfortunately to test.

EDIT - All my testing has been done at stock speeds for the cpu, no more overclock. Just trying to get the xmp profiles at stock 8700k speeds.

Last edited:
1. The first step I would take in trouble shooting this is clearing the CMOS. As you have mentioned you did a few BIOS flashed I'm sure you've tried this already.

2. Using your G.Skill memory try running a single stick in slot A2 and see if you can run it at SPD settings. Then try the same stick in the other 3 slots with the same settings. (This could rule out or confirm a motherboard issue)

3. 1&3 and 2&4 should both be able to run dual channel.

4. Finally, try running memtest to determine if your ram is bad. Fortunately G.Skill offers lifetime warranty in the event they are bad.

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, I have tried cmos clearing many times.
I do recall from various testing that one stick in dimm2 would allow XMP profile, however I should test this again just to be 100%. I swapped so many sticks around yesterday.

I did a memtest on both sticks in dual channel 2&4 and it found 400+ errors. So I am guessing that this must mean the memory is damaged or failed somehow, it was working fine though.
Does memtest errors mean that it must be the memory sticks, there is no other explanation?

I'm no memory expert but if you are running it at stock settings then errors would indicate the stick(s) are bad.

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed, I have tried cmos clearing many times.
I do recall from various testing that one stick in dimm2 would allow XMP profile, however I should test this again just to be 100%. I swapped so many sticks around yesterday.

I did a memtest on both sticks in dual channel 2&4 and it found 400+ errors. So I am guessing that this must mean the memory is damaged or failed somehow, it was working fine though.
Does memtest errors mean that it must be the memory sticks, there is no other explanation?

Did you check each stick individually with memtest86? And you would need to check your motherboard manual to see which is the proper slot to use when only using a single stick. It is unusual for two sticks to go bad at the same time. Errors likely mean you have a bad RAM stick rather than a bad memory controller but the latter is possible, I suppose. Have you been running the RAM in an overclocked mode?

I'd be inclined to say bad stick of ram, but not on two different sets.

You may have two separate issues going on.
BSOD's from glitchy game, and a windows update that may have patched one of Intel's flaws and forced you out of XMP.
Did your fresh install include the same last update ?
Might want to try another fresh install without it and see if you keep your XMP.

Some more testing updates.

Either stick in dimm slot 2 results in instant errors and memtest86 fails the test early due to the number of failures.
Either stick in slot 1 results in a system that struggles to post, once it does post it seems to be able to pass memtest though.
Either stick in slot 3 or 4 posts and passes memtest fine and XMP profile 3200mhz is available and seemingly working fine.
Both sticks in slot 3 and 4 together also seems to work, 3200mhz XMP but only single channel, didn't do a complete memtest but left it for a few mins and saw no immediate errors so thought I'd try and get into Windows, which is does. Will play a game or something just to test it out and see if I can get a BSOD.

Assuming I don't based on the tests and my comments above is there a way to be sure if it's a motherboard or processor issue?

Current Windows install includes latest updates, chipset, drivers, BIOS etc.

My guess is on the motherboard. Motherboard ram slot failures are more likely and the fact that 3&4 are fine are another indicator.

I agree with Blaylock. High probability it's the motherboard. Besides, you got to start somewhere with an RMA and the motherboard is the most likely culprit. CPU failures are relatively rare. But did you check for bent socket pins yet?

I haven't pulled the cpu out of the socket yet, is it possible to bend a pin randomly in socket after several months of use?
Kind of wish there was something decent to upgrade to, I've had this processor/motherboard three years in November and would happily upgrade if it was worthwhile. 10900k doesn't seem a particiarly big step.

RMA from here is a nightmare. I bought it locally in UAE and companies here don't really understand refund/customer service. I doubt the warranty is valid now.
Weird issue though, at least I'm glad I was able to eliminate the RAM sticks, thanks for your help gentlemen.

I was just about to suggest re-seating the CPU. Sometimes odd memory issues come from mounting pressure in LGA. Also just to clarify (I know you cleared the CMOS) but all the testing has been done with the CPU at stock settings? I get it on the wanting to wait to upgrade, would be nice if you could make it to DDR5.

Camping a bit on what Zerileous mentioned, try loosing the cooler mounting bolts a bit so as to reduce the pressure on the socket. We've seen instances where excessive cooler mounting pressure distorts the socket and produces poor contact with the socket pads on the underside of the CPU. Also, check for thermal paste contamination of the socket/CPU contacts. Either of these issues can develop over time with PCB fatigue and paste pumping from heating and cooling cycles. The latter especially if an excessive amount of thermal paste was applied in the first place.

Well removed and loosened the AIO X52 Kraken block to make sure it wasn't press down too hard, it was certainly a lot tighter than I remember doing it up. Still not able to enable dual channel.
But currently, back at my 5ghz overclock with XMP memory settings in single channel mode.

This will just have to do for now, hopefully next gen Intel will be worth upgrading, DDR5/PCIE4.0 etc.

Have you considered RMA for the motherboard? Is it still under warranty? You're going to take somewhat of a performance hit running in single channel.

It would also might be smart to pick up a cheap used Celeron or Pentium off ebay to test for the problem being with the board or the IMC.

Last edited:
Back