• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800ultra 109c temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pretty sure it's just poor design of the cooler not managing the heat correctly. I put a 1200cm fan blowing directly on the ambient heat area out the back pushing major air through it and now Im looking at 70c load temps steady and 49c ambient.

I don't think the heatsink is too bad or the paste was on wrong, I just think that the cooler has too much venting in it instead of getting rid of the latent heat. Slowly gets hotter and hotter heating itself instead of just pushing out the air like it should. Guess I'm going to have to shell out some cash for a new cooler that isn't trash and find a way to place my spot cool to be more efficient.

Temps still seem a bit high for the massive amount of currernt airflow it's getting though, you think I would be better off RMAing it first before purchasing aftermarket cooling?

The 8800GTX/Ultra cooler are as good as they get for GFX cards. You issue are completely case air flow related. Your drop from 109C to 70C (which is good) loaded shows that clearly.

I would bet you have more case fans exhausting air out of the case than bring fresh air into the case and/or to little make up air vents.

When you get into a situation like that, which is pretty damn common, you pull the static air pressure inside the sealed up case (sealed as in side covers on) lower than out side of the case. If that negative internal pressure differential gets to high the GPU cooler fans air flow will drop severally or even stall as case vent make up air tries to come into the case through the GPU coolers air discharge out of the PCIe mount bracket.

Viper

VJ, why do I need 1000cfm from a huge fan to get to "standard" load temperatures? Even when the side is off and I bring in "slight" air from the front and keep the pressure nominal, I am seeing 87c load temps that continue to rise. It is only with massive air movement where I get rid of ALL of the hot air do I see any real difference in temperature change.

I don't understand why my 2900XT ran cooler than the 8800ultra at "higher" clocks and much higher power draw in the same exact system.

VJ, why do I need 1000cfm from a huge fan to get to "standard" load temperatures? Even when the side is off and I bring in "slight" air from the front and keep the pressure nominal, I am seeing 87c load temps that continue to rise. It is only with massive air movement where I get rid of ALL of the hot air do I see any real difference in temperature change.

I don't understand why my 2900XT ran cooler than the 8800ultra at "higher" clocks and much higher power draw in the same exact system.

Okay so you are saying with the case side cover off, but no big fan blowing into the case, you are still
getting those ridicules temps??? 4 things then:

(1) Something blocking air flow through the coolers heatsink fins (you would be amazed at the crap I have
pulled out of stock coolers even on low hour cards)
(2) Bad GPU temp card sensor giving false high reading (really doubt it).
(3) Bad cooler. The GTX/Ultra cooler uses an AL/CU Hybrid cooler with an aluminum heatsink base and
fins bonded (riveted I believe) to a copper plate that contacts the GPU IHS plus a heatpipe. You cooler
could have a bad thermal Interface between the alumimum heatsink base and the copper IHS contact
plate and/or a heatpipe with no "juice" in it. It is very possible this is where the root cause lies.
(4) Extremely high heat dissipation GPU.

My bet is on the cooler. Back when I could air cool modded cards I used AL/CU hybrid coolers. Every
once in a while I would get one that had a poor thermal interface between the aluminum heatsink and the
copper insert in it's base and the GPU temps would be way higher than normal.

If the 2900XT cooled normally in the same PCIe slot as the 8800 Ultra isn't then you most likely need to
RMA the card. The Ultra should easily run cooler than a Thermo-Nuclear 2900XT in the same setup.

Viper

Last edited:
Thanks VJ, that is what I assumed also. There just seems to be a ridiculous amont of heat coming from every corner of the card without a huge fan blowing on it.

It's fine when it just sits there, but if I bring it up to any type of load, it just gets hotter and hotter and hotter, even with the side of the case off. Once I take off the load, it never cools down unless the big fan is on it.

I feel safe with my decision now to RMA, I figured just the same that if the 2900XT was fine (although loud fan) then the 8800Ultra should have been the same or better given the amount of power the 2900XT uses.

Thanks VJ, that is what I assumed also. There just seems to be a ridiculous amont of heat coming from every corner of the card without a huge fan blowing on it.

It's fine when it just sits there, but if I bring it up to any type of load, it just gets hotter and hotter and hotter, even with the side of the case off. Once I take off the load, it never cools down unless the big fan is on it.

I feel safe with my decision now to RMA, I figured just the same that if the 2900XT was fine (although loud fan) then the 8800Ultra should have been the same or better given the amount of power the 2900XT uses.

I would bet the card just has a bad cooler. It is rare but it does happen on occasion.

Viper

Ambient is 53c after rewiring and redirecting fans el maxi.

And actually, ambient temp was even 50-53 with the big fan blowing on it too and the side off. Can't really get much better airflow than that.

Your case temp is over 50c? Either thats wrong or you have an oven going. My case temps never go over 38c and thats when its hot in the room.

Your case temp is over 50c? Either thats wrong or you have an oven going. My case temps never go over 38c and thats when its hot in the room.

Video card ambient temperature.

Case ambient is 36c.

The card is on a UPS truck back to newegg. I have a new card coming and if it encounters the same issues, I also have a HR-03 coming.

Last edited:
vixro...

my card runs about 60 idle and 70s up to 80 under load at stock too as are many many others.... case open or not

one thing i noticed is that when you replaced the tim on the gpu you left the seemingly torn ram thermal pads in place and i assume just re attached it like that? ive been reading alot of people have to replace the thermal pads when they do this or else the ram doesnt make proper contact with the heatsink thus artifacting. maybe this is the cause of your new artifacting?

one thing i noticed is that when you replaced the tim on the gpu you left the seemingly torn ram thermal pads in place and i assume just re attached it like that? ive been reading alot of people have to replace the thermal pads when they do this or else the ram doesnt make proper contact with the heatsink thus artifacting. maybe this is the cause of your new artifacting?
I was about to say that but you beat me to it.
If you're memory ships are not being cooled, they're going to die pretty fast.

Memory is not that sensitive to heat, but once it gets hot enough, the damage is done.

vixro...

my card runs about 60 idle and 70s up to 80 under load at stock too as are many many others.... case open or not

Thanks for the reply, I found that the new "artifacting" was actually due to a couple bad downloaded textures. After reinstalling the game (a full web install took an entire night) the problems went away. it was only within Guild Wars that I had this problem, which is why I was a bit curious.

The temperatures were close to 68-71c idle and over 90-upwards of 100 on load (even with the side off) unless the very large fan was blowing on it.

When the very large fan was blowing on it, I still saw close to 90c temperatures which is ridiculous and the reasoning behind sending it back.

Like I said, we shall see when the new one comes and along with the alternate cooler what kind of "damage" I can do to those temperatures. As for the thermal pads, that's how they were when the card was taken apart and that's how they were when it went back for the RMA. I'm back on the 2900XT right now, which idles around 60c (at 2d clocks) and 85c at full load.

Makes me wonder why the thermonuclear 2900XT has the same temps if not lower at times than the 8800Ultra, which was the reason for the RMA.

update on mine. I added a 120mm fan directly above the video card and at the lowest RPM, idle temp is around 50*C and load temp running atitools is 65*C

Raising rpm speed to "hurricane in a box" speed lowers idle temp to around 45* and load to 57*c.

yup I think something is definately up with the card. Just for the hell of it, I tried to find out at what point mine locked up during the ATI stress test and it was rock solid all the way up to this point (core clock). This was at 80*C core temp according to Riva. The heat sink was really hot too.

ATI_Crash.jpg

My guess is that if your heat sink isn't hot to the touch, there's something up with the temp sensor.

yup I think something is definately up with the card. Just for the hell of it, I tried to find out at what point mine locked up during the ATI stress test and it was rock solid all the way up to this point (core clock). This was at 80*C core temp according to Riva. The heat sink was really hot too.

My guess is that if your heat sink isn't hot to the touch, there's something up with the temp sensor.

DO NOT use ATItool's find max clocks! It buggier than an ant farm and doesn't even give you the correct
running clocks for starters.

741/1130 are impossible running clocks for an 8800 cards as their clock generartors can not step on those.
741/1130 set would have been 729rop/1134memory. Their isn't an Ultra made that won't run 1152 memory
right out of the box but it would be an extremely rare Ultra that could run a729rop clock stock.

Viper

so just use it to stress test the card and use riva to OC?

Or is there something better to stress test the card and let me monitor the temp?

Back