• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a 100CFM, 120mm fan that is 30-36DB NO MORE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooah

anyone know of a 120mm fan that blows 100CFM of air and is no louder then 30-36DB. I want one to try on my VGA Silencer heatsink, but I want to move some serious air. However, it can't be a jet engine on there so no more then 36DB.

So far i've found a few 120mm 86-90cfm in the DB range, but i'd like to see 100+ CFM.

If you know of one and where it is, please post a link. I've googled but haven't quite found any.

Thanks

So far best i've found is:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e_Code=M&Product_Code=100978&Category_Code=NA

ENERMAX 120mm UC-12FAB
120mm
Speed: 2300rpm
Airflow: 94.92 CFM
Noise: 30.10BA
Voltage: 12V
rated Current: 0.20A
Input Power 2.4W

Last edited:
right now I have 6 case fans that move 37cfm of air at 32DB (does not include Zalman 7000CU or the 2 fans on the Antec True550w PSU). My plan is to put a 100CFM 120mm fan on the heatsink of the VGA Silencer to really move some air and keep the 9800 Pro cool. The **** stock unit moves 5CFM of air, so i'm talkin a big change. Would I hear the air being moved even with 6 case fans at 32DB each?

other option is 2x60mm fans as someone else has already done in the cooling forum (modded VGA silencer i think its under). But i really want to move some air, so a single 120 is probably the best way to go.

Also, the fan i'm thinking of has an adustment controller so I could turn the fan down alittle if its really whaling away.

Last edited:
hooah said:
ri
other option is 2x60mm fans as someone else has already done in the cooling forum (modded VGA silencer i think its under). But i really want to move some air, so a single 120 is probably the best way to go.

Also, the fan i'm thinking of has an adustment controller so I could turn the fan down alittle if its really whaling away.

wouldn't you get 4x60mm in the space of a single 120mm?

ps commiserations on your team's loss....

hmmm thats strange. Even the enermax website says 30.10DB at 94CFM and 24.6DB at 63CFM. But the review says estimated 44DB! I'll look for more reviews tomorrow, but 44DB would be way to loud, unless my curernt 6 80mm case fans at 32DB would drown it out (unlikely)

I may have to move to plan B, a 120mm fan that is 75CFM and in the 30DB range. or 2x60 (or 80mm) fans that are each 50CFM and 30DB.

After examining the heatsink of the VGA some more, i can bolt two 80mm fans right to it (drill 4 new holes on the side). The second fan will only be bolted on with 2 screws though. However since it will bolt right on it will make it look nice and be easy to complete, where as a 120mm will require some other way to hold it on. Also if I can find two 80mm fans that are high 40 or even 50CFM and around 30-35DB that is still a 100CFM setup.

Only downfall is a 120mm fan would also blow on the card as well since it overlaps the heatsink. I've got an old Pentium 1 50mm x 50mm heatsink that I will cut into 4 which should help cool the memory on the top of the card as well.

So i'm still looking at 120mm but I'm really considering 2x80mm right now as the better choice because they bolt on with only drilling 4 new small (1-2mm) holes.

EDIT:
I also have 4 Thermaltake 80mm Case fans in my system right now that are 37CFM at 30DB (not sure what the other 2 are, they came with the X-dreamer), so that right there would be 74CFM to test this set-up out. Too bad Tornado's are so loud, imagine 170CFM's! that would be max cool

Last edited:
SSS came up with this ebay guy who sells 120m/m X 38m/m Sanyo Denki fans that are 108cfm @ 36dBA.

120 Sanyo's

Just contact the guy and he will set up a auction for you...Really nice 120m/m fans.

Dont know about a 38 on a VGA Silencer...But I would have never thought of that to begin with.

Best 120m/m fan that I have ever owned by a country mile...7 volts with some serious airflow...Even 5 volted they rock...:cool:

Why must these be bought through this guy? Are they not available ANYWHERE else?!

EDIT: Sorry, I mean the Sanyo's through this EBAY guy.

rassler said:
Why must these be bought through this guy? Are they not available ANYWHERE else?!

EDIT: Sorry, I mean the Sanyo's through this EBAY guy.

Coz cheaper than in many other places, generally these fans costs much more ;)

Adriano

Multiple low-CFM fans will still have an additive noise effect though.

Those Sunon 80's look mediocre by the way... sleeve bearing, average air pressure and buying six seems inefficient. Why not get fewer, but bigger fans?

im going to get six because i have multiple rigs to put them in, im not really into air pressure and all, all i know at the moment is the difference in CFM and DB :)

I drilled 4 small holes on the side of the VGA Silencer heatsink and two 80mm fans bolt right on. So i'm gonna test it out with 2x80mm fans 37CFM each and 30DB each for now. If it runs really well, I'll look for higher CFM 80mm, but with the way it bolted right on, i'm gonna stick with 80mm. I'll post a picture and results soon.

Hookem said:
SSS came up with this ebay guy who sells 120m/m X 38m/m Sanyo Denki fans that are 108cfm @ 36dBA.

120 Sanyo's

Just contact the guy and he will set up a auction for you...Really nice 120m/m fans.

Dont know about a 38 on a VGA Silencer...But I would have never thought of that to begin with.

Best 120m/m fan that I have ever owned by a country mile...7 volts with some serious airflow...Even 5 volted they rock...:cool:

EDITED: The description on the E-Bay webpage Silversinksam linked to says that these fans are 127mm fans but Diggr from the forums confirmed that these are actually 120mm fans and not 127mm fans. :)

Last edited:
Back