• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A/C 6" fan for casing - opinions pls!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diademz

Registered
Hello all!

Due to the hot temps generated by the Celery Tualatin (idle 47C, load 50-52C, mobo temp 35C), I want to add more fans into my casing.

Since I'm only using a 250W PS and I already have 2 3" fans drawing from this PS, I figured I'd add a 6" A/C fan.

My question - will this harm the HDD or any other components in the computer due to the EM inteference? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

I couldn't give you an official answer on whether or not it will interfere, but I would assume you are safe. Fans like that are designed to cool electronics systems. I bought a couple 172mm DC fans from www.mpja.com and haven't had any problems yet. They have AC fans for really cheap here. They even have a 115v AC 6" fan there for under $10 that puts out 260cfm.

Good luck being able to hear anythign in the room though. Those big fans put out a ton of noise. The AC fan that fits your description that I saw puts out a whopping 60Dba!! I'd look for some smaller, quieter fans if I were you. It's a bit more difficult to turn down the voltage on an AC fan than it is to change the molex connector to reduce the voltage on a DC fan.

Nope, sorry... Won't work... You actually need to get an AC Fan control... Varying the amount of voltage supplied works in DC applications, but not in AC... Check at your local Ceiling fan distributor, they'll know what you're talking about... They're a little more expensive than a dimmer, but they'll actually work.
Peace
John

Thanks for all the replies. Will try to mod my case this weekend to fit the fan. Will update this msg next week! :)

Back