• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a/c unit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its a fully functioning phase change appliance as it is.. so yes all the parts that make a phase change unit are in it (other then the air to air evaporator rather then the direct die evaporator but your already aware of that)

What temperatures your able to get would be dependent on on the refigerant charge amount and type, the metering divice used, and the heat load its tuned to.

btw.. most of the people that answer these questions are online late in the evening and night (5am-afternoon, they are not generaly online) Sometimes people like to read the questions asked.

No mater how much i read I never really learn till i get hands on exp . for that reason i cant waite for a few more months till i get a phase system

greenmaji said:
Its a fully functioning phase change appliance as it is.. so yes all the parts that make a phase change unit are in it (other then the air to air evaporator rather then the direct die evaporator but your already aware of that)

What temperatures your able to get would be dependent on on the refigerant charge amount and type, the metering divice used, and the heat load its tuned to.

btw.. most of the people that answer these questions are online late in the evening and night (5am-afternoon, they are not generaly online) Sometimes people like to read the questions asked.

ty very much maji :D <3 sry about the other post got kinda frustrated waiting all day lol

so basically i can just dismantle the casing and add a few other xtra things and im set? and can u tell of a good refrigerant?

It would be nice to recover the refigerant thats in it. And it might be a fine canidate to reuse.

You'll need to replace the cap tube *it would be the metering divice used in AC units and the most simple to use for DIY* (it will likely need to be shorter and or greater diamter, Ill get you a link to cap tube sizing)
Right here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29694

The refigerant thats considered good to learn with is R22 (but you need a licence for it unless you recover it from AC units and the like)

R290 (propane) is sometimes common (and can be quite dangerious if not used correctly) the refegerant grade is just well filtered.

There are other better performing single stage refigerants but they also require a licence and some of them can be difficult to condence.

I wouldn't worry about refrigerants at first. Just use the A/C as is, it'll perform pretty well.

Make sure you get yourself a tubing bender like that one, either online or at an auto parts store. Begin by just dismantling the air conditioner, and using the tubing bender to fit the condensor (the large grill on the back of a/c) into an insulated container, like a beer cooler.

You have two options.

1) bend the tubbing and fit the evap in to a picnic cooler chest, fill it with coolant and pump the chilled coolant though waterblocks. Thats the cheap way. You wont get -40C, more like -25C with load.

2) cut the ac apart and build direct die or a nice chiller from scratch. For this you will need a license to buy refrigerant unless you want to use propane, which can be somewhat dangerous. You will need $500-$1000 in tools as well. Torch, gas, brazing rods, pipe bender, pipe cutter, swagging tool, tank of dry nitrogen to purge and a regulator to go with that, a vacuum pump, tank of refrigerant (they don't really sell small tanks either), and a few other handy tad bits. If making a direct die setup then you would also need an evap, flexible suction line, cap tube or valve. If chiller then a good heat exchanger (especially if you want to hit -40C). Its not a cheap hobby to build from scratch unless you already have the tools.

I suggest you stick with option 1 for your first try. Don't jump to far too fast

Also might want to do some reading on XS, they have a good section for chillers and direct die cooling as its somewhat of a pc phase change cental.

Chilled Liquid Cooling

Vapor Phase Change Cooling

hmmm im thinking of building a chiller then b/c my money is tight(college student) lol ty for all the post keep emm coming

Pf.Farnsworth said:
Its not a cheap hobby to build from scratch unless you already have the tools.
Or reaserch wich and proper use of substiutes.
Substutues are possible for vacume pump, purging gas, and min. type of torch $ wise nessary. The hand tools aren't that expensive (swaging tool set, pipe cutter, and pipe benders)

A chiller is a fairly simple start however.. there is a DIY log that was done not too long ago here.

greenmaji said:
It would be nice to recover the refigerant thats in it. And it might be a fine canidate to reuse.

You'll need to replace the cap tube *it would be the metering divice used in AC units and the most simple to use for DIY* (it will likely need to be shorter and or greater diamter, Ill get you a link to cap tube sizing)
Right here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29694

The refigerant thats considered good to learn with is R22 (but you need a licence for it unless you recover it from AC units and the like)

R290 (propane) is sometimes common (and can be quite dangerious if not used correctly) the refegerant grade is just well filtered.

There are other better performing single stage refigerants but they also require a licence and some of them can be difficult to condence.

can you tell me what the cap tubing does? and where it is located? b/c im kinda clueless

It creates restriction. You really should go read up on phase change based cooling before you ask any more questions here or do anything.

Try howstuffworks.com and xtremesystems links above on refrigeration etc

Pf.Farnsworth said:
It creates restriction. You really should go read up on phase change based cooling before you ask any more questions here or do anything.

Try howstuffworks.com and xtremesystems links above on refrigeration etc

well, its like a woman u wont learn if ya dont get ur hands a lil durty :beer:

Yea, but its hard to do anything if you don't have a clue how it works.. the phase change system can't tell you what "she" likes ;) :p

aMp^FL said:
well, its like a woman u wont learn if ya dont get ur hands a lil durty :beer:

No its not. I learned pretty much everything I know as far as this goes from books before putting my hands on anything. This is the way its done in the industry and for a good reason.

However what this IS like, is a bomb, if you don't know what you are doing before you try getting "dirty" you might die. You are dealing with a highly pressurized system full of potentially poisonous (as is or under certain conditions) gas that can turn in to a fragmentation explosive, chemical weapon and incendiary device if you make some mistakes.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
No its not. I learned pretty much everything I know as far as this goes from books before putting my hands on anything. This is the way its done in the industry and for a good reason.

However what this IS like, is a bomb, if you don't know what you are doing before you try getting "dirty" you might die. You are dealing with a highly pressurized system full of potentially poisonous (as is or under certain conditions) gas that can turn in to a fragmentation explosive, chemical weapon and incendiary device if you make some mistakes.

you aren't making me get into phase change any easier :( lol

Back