• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A "How-To" on Borging

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
borging

I've tried this on 2 machines and neither is getting gromacs. :( I'm going to give them a chance to get a few more WU's and see if its just bad luck or a if its a config problem. I edited the reg key correctly.

Could someone who's done this tell me if the fah.log file shows -advmethods and -forceasm when the machince first starts? Mine only shows -service.

Edit: I changed another reg key in the same path. This one called parameters instead of applications. It said only -service, so I added -advmethods and -forceasm to it. Now my fah.log shows those flags and I am getting gromacs. This seems critically important to me and I think borgers should check the logs on their machines to make sure the gromacs flags are working, since gromacs is generally 1.2x - 4x the point production rate of tinker.

It may have just been the timing and that the gromacs weren't available at at the time, but I don't think so since I examined the top of the fah.log file after first installing the service, changing the reg keys, and rebooting. No -advmethods or-forceasm. Then after changing the other reg key, restarting, and checking the log file they were there.

This happened in win2k and in winXP home. I think other borgers need to look into this, especially the P4 borgers!!!!

Last edited:
thanks for the info wedo...i now have a floppy labeled 'borg' which is going to accompany me to a lan party tomorrow :D

Re: borging

Arkaine23 said:
I've tried this on 2 machines and neither is getting gromacs. :( I'm going to give them a chance to get a few more WU's and see if its just bad luck or a if its a config problem. I edited the reg key correctly.

Could someone who's done this tell me if the fah.log file shows -advmethods and -forceasm when the machince first starts? Mine only shows -service.

Edit: I changed another reg key in the same path. This one called parameters instead of applications. It said only -service, so I added -advmethods and -forceasm to it. Now my fah.log shows those flags and I am getting gromacs. This seems critically important to me and I think borgers should check the logs on their machines to make sure the gromacs flags are working, since gromacs is generally 1.2x - 4x the point production rate of tinker.

It may have just been the timing and that the gromacs weren't available at at the time, but I don't think so since I examined the top of the fah.log file after first installing the service, changing the reg keys, and rebooting. No -advmethods or-forceasm. Then after changing the other reg key, restarting, and checking the log file they were there.

This happened in win2k and in winXP home. I think other borgers need to look into this, especially the P4 borgers!!!!
Arkaine - I bet you changed the wrong registry value... And you MUST put quotes around the reg value THEN add the flags!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters

There is a String value key called ?Application? with a value of D:\Program Files\Folding\FAH3Console.exe (or C: depending on which drive you placed the \Folding directory

Change the value of the key to:
"D:\Program Files\Folding\FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

You must include the quotes around the original registry key value and then add the flags at the end.

reg keys

7. In the registry editor, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic
es\FAH\Parameters stringname Application

8. There is a String value key called “Application” with a value of D:\Program Files\Folding\FAH3Console.exe (or C: depending on which drive you placed the \Folding directory)

9. Right click the registry key and hit Modify

10. Change the value of the key to: "D:\Program Files\Folding\FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods –forceasm

11. You must include the quotes around the original registry key value and then add the flags at the end.

12. Click OK and exit the registry editor.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters stringname Application

This one looks like- D:\Program Files\Folding\FAH3Console.exe
and I made changes so it looked like- "D:\Program Files\Folding\FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods -forceasm
But that did not work.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters stringname parameters

This one looked like this- -service
And I changed it to look like this- -service -advmethods -forceasm
And that seems to have worked.

I got it working, I just hope anyone else who's tried borging is getting gromacs.

/Arkaine considers that perhaps windows will always do him this way. After all he has forsaken the spawn of Bill G. and opted to keep trying to become a linux gaawd.

Last edited:
The Aussies, God Bless 'em, have another way to borg a whole office if you have admin rights.

This link is an immediate download and rec'd for advanced users only as you have to run a vb script, then config the client.cfg file, then run the network wide install in a batch file.

The 'read me' is pretty good though and if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Linkage

I used the script for some other sys admin tasks I needed to do as well.... :D

Wedo

:edit:

To answer Arkaines question (late, sorry). I think Gromacs weren't available at the time as all of my rigs have it set up with the flags set in \Application "....\FAH.exe" -flags and are getting gromacs right now.

Here's the log from my last restart on this rig:

--- Opening Log file [March 28 01:28:52]

# Windows Console Edition #####################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@home Client Version 3.24

http://foldingathome.stanford.edu
email:[email protected]

Arguments: -advmethods -forceasm -service

[01:28:52] - Ask before connecting: No
[01:28:52] - User name: Wedo (Team 32)
[01:28:52] - User ID = 6606XXXXXXXXXXXX
[01:28:52] - Machine ID: 1

Last edited:
reg keys

I've tested out those 2 reg keys on some new borged machines and both of them work. But just do one or the other.

Either HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters\ Application or Parameters will work for the command flags. At least for me (my client.cfg has the option use reg=yes).

In application, you alter the path to the client by putting it in quotes and adding the flags after it, and in parameters you just add the flags themeslves.

If you modify both regkeys, you will get the gromacs flags listed twice. :eek:

Last edited:
I added, edited, added, and then edited again.

TEAM! ADD THE FLAGS, YOU WILL GET MORE POINTS PER WEEK!

:D

Wedo

I like the guide but now I think I have confused myself. I was wanting to know if someone can make a borg disk/ or a reg. key and link it in this thread? Mostly its the registry key thing confusing me? So if anyone can make a reg. key for this guide and link it I will greatly appreciate it. Plus it would help me get all my rigs (and friends rigs) up and folding quicker. Thanks.

TheMightyBuck said:
bumpage, this is a good thread...

bumpity bumpity, bump bump bump....

Thanks....

What does a guy have to do to get a sticky around here? :D

Wedo

Back