• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a Lian Li case a little shorter than PC-65B?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

Is there any Lian Li case with std. or opt'l clear side window, in Height (my only and nagging concern) between the tall end PC-65B and the short microATX PC-30 type, and which does have the typical H mounted psu? Maybe a 3+2 case.

I have been searching for a new case, because I want a black one now. I want simplistic design without colours - a little silver is fine. Height is the design issue I am wrestling with with all my might right now; I want to get the height down to the lowest possible, while still having the ps mounted rearward Horizontally above the mobo. Originally my though was to be quiet, but everything else being equal the difference between a Antec SonataIII can't be much. My current case are 42mm & 44cm high, and the mobo & ps fit the way I want, H above. Lian Li seems to be the only choice for me: why not the Lamborghini of cases - I've read several data sheets, but theres too many to keep track, and versions. The runner-up type to the Lian Li is the cheapest case, $50, and take out the ps! There are various things you just can't get around. You can take out a front drive bay for example. The Lian Li PC, PC-30 is mini tower 36cm high, but it has a Vertically mounted ps requirement. Then there is the PC50, which has one more front 5-1/4" bay (to 3) but then is only a little bigger at 38cm than the microATX PC-30: it isn't quite a mid tower, but AhhH, the ps is mounted V along the top side of the case where a window would be, right in front of a cpu & its cooler.

I need to ensure the fitting of mobos in the future will not be an issue. Even the micro PC30 allows standard ATX form factor mobos, as any vanilla or premium models today are (12x9.6"). The removavle mobo tray I hear is awesome, but no affect. Top fan is not an affect. The thumbscew possibility is not an affect. Removable HDD, ps, or other tray is not an affect. I do not care about 2 front fans vs 1 F fan. The L/M/H fan switch inside is a nice touch, but not an issue, especially a possible external type. I have now determined I will get a case with a side window. I will not spend more than $200. I want a case I will be able to get a minimum of 1 DVD, 1 floppy, 1 (blk) 3-1/2" fan & light cntrlr, 3 HDDs inside and all them seem to do that. I may never be more than a GTS320 kinda guy, so the GTX video card length may not be an issue. But I may keep the case for a lot of future systems, and don't know how big vid cards and mobos may get. In this respect I am most worried about the vid card fitting.

The PC-65B is my closest choice, the one I'll get unless. It comes with (clear!!) window std. (some models alow optional at purchase or extra after), removable mobo, HDD, ps, and other? trays, thumbscrews std (not necc'y w/ others), 2 F, 1 R, 1T fans, 2 F USB ports, 2 F fan inside L/M/H ctrlr, but it is 2" to 3" higher than my current cases. Therefore, fit wise, it'll be good forever, and it looks awesome, even the silver bolts around the window. It looks like a monolith-ic stealth bomber. But its -4-5" higher than it needs to be to fit the mobo down and ps H mounted above up. I'd like to chop it down, remove a needless front bay (3+2 is fine). Anything come to mind. Only Lian Li, since the PC-65B is too hard to beat.

heres a pic of the PC-65B, one click down
http://www.burnoutpc.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=228

Last edited:
The V1000b is much larger then PC65.

Look at G50A - silver, G50B- Black. But i dont know any one that makes side window for it.

All the 6 and 7 series cases are same size.

The V1000b is much larger then PC65.

Look at G50A - silver, G50B- Black. But i dont know any one that makes side window for it.

All the 6 and 7 series cases are same size.
OP could always make the window :)

The G50B would have a vertical ps wouldn't it? I could even live without a window if I did find the fit first. I have a window too but I'd rather not have to muck with it.

38cm tall.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/LianLi/PC-G50B/3

the ps is vertical at the bottom (table). The mobo is installed upside down, with the card slots at the top of the case. the cpu is directly opposite the ps. Ghez, all i ant is an efficient fit. And ideally a neat 3+2 external bay look to suit it. And likely a window.

I think the G50B is a 4+2, can't see yet, the pics are soo dark. Otherwise that, without the window I would consider it.

OH, its a 4+0, nice(er)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...scription=LIAN+LI+PC-G50B+Black+Computer+Case

The PC-65B is a 4+3, yuk. 450H x 490D x 210W. I must have been thinking it was 490 H. Maybe I'm golden. I've to to oct-check that. Then measure my own Asus P4C800E-D mobo and enermax EG465P-VE SFC directly. Ok, it is 17.7"H x 19" Deeper than high, and 1 inch deeper than my current case, 1&3cm taller.

So my only prob is with the 4+3, hardly serious, and unlikely to fix that. Sorry to disturb you.

mobo+ps= 30cm+8.5cm=38.5cm.1/2"+1/2"+1/2" is fair. that would be 38.5 + 3.81cm =42.3cm. 1 inch. can't complain. Wish I could patch the front of the case around my 1 DVD, floppy and blk Vantec NXP-305B fan & light controller.

To be honest, thats 2-1/2" (6.35cm) taller than necc. Future proofing - any card length! The PC-65B is the swiss army knife of cases. In literally seconds you can slide out the ps, mobo, HDD, bays, and 3-1/2"ers, and evrything is thumbscrew supplied elsewhere (pci+). 4 fans w/ ctrlrs. incl, Ferrari-like construction, window, cables that clip appart from case - the individual ones to the mobo are harnessed to one plug to the front of the case, 2 USB front plugs, top fan slots, easy cabling, stealth bomber finish, easy-out intake washable dirt filter?, I think the side panel clips off, and can be locked?. What isn't it?

Last edited:
A little update and a few questions. I was intent on the PC-65B, but I found out that I have a couple of routes to follow, both originating from the sound concern. First the "Plus", and now "Plus Two" option which is an improved cooling package, which is also included in the silent case approach . The Plus option(s) "1" and "2" have an intake fan with duct to the cpu, a blower exhaust fan and mounting from the gpu area out the side panel, and sometimes a ps exhaust outside the back for sound and air deflection , because of the cpu intake fan. Adjustable. performance-pcs.com have a PC-65B "Plus (2?) modified?" with all but the ps exhaust, unless pics modified. Thats an improved PC-65B. But of the silent cases the one that does come in the same height as the PC-65B is the PC-6070B. It likely has a special window option with a mesh corner for the gpu area exhaust setup. It, and most (or all) silent cases, has a solid Front door for sound. And sound deadening pads everywhere (F, S,S,T). And its got the usual USB F out, etc., etc. PP may even have a pimp version of the silent/cool 6070/5, who knows. Now the questions.

Q>
Can anyone confirm a PC-6070B comes in a window?

If, like others cases naming conventions, that'd be silent PC-6075B Plus 2. Yes, it is always called Plus 2, it is by virtue of all those Plus cooling features that a PC-65B std isn't, but could be at PP. But the PC-65B isn't naturaly silent, even the PP version.

The BIG Q>
I have read some reviews of the PC-6070B and it has shown to be both quite cool and quiet. Can anyone confirm how quiet or lack of quiet?

I'm sorry, the window is just another option, which I'd have to go for, even having buckled down anyways. I like the plain door - special.

http://www.lian-li.com/product/product06.php?pr_index=25&cl_index=1&sc_index=1&ss_index=5&type=b

http://www.lian-li.com/product/product06.php?pr_index=32&cl_index=2&sc_index=3&ss_index=10&type=b
doesn't say 6XXX, only 6X, and not in LL webs optl's cat., but looks right. Only one hit for googling PC-6705B, PP which may (not) be right

Last edited:
Are you 100% set on getting a Lian Li? I agree that they're nice, but the Lamborgini of cases isn't really true any more! I had a PC30 in black about 7 years ago, followed by a PC60. Things like the weight and motherboard tray are the main reasons to go with a Lian Li, but there are plenty of better cases than the ones Lian Li makes. Coolermaster 830 and Silverstone TJ07 for instance.

That said, definitely don't get one where the PSU is vertical over the motherboard, as you assumed it's really really bad for cooling. Since you don't want something too big, the PC60 series is going to be the best choice...I can't tell you which ones have windows or silent cooling, but just browse the different models on Newegg and order one that has all the features you want.

The 6 and 7 series cases use same side panel, thus you can use one from another, cause its the same case.

The PC6070 is quieter, simply because it has foam slapped on the side panels, dirt cheap and slow fans, and it has a thick front door as well. Cooling is terrible on the original PC6070. Front intake is very restricted and you only have 1x 80mm fan.

The PC6070 Plus/2 came out only about a year ago, it was never a PLUS when PC6070 case first came out. But even the Plus/Plus 2 use 1x80mm exhaust fan.

My recommendation to you, is get a 7 series case, that has a 120mm exhaust fan in the back. Other wise youll end up cutting another hole for your 80mm fans.

Your best choices are; They all have front and rear 120mm fans. Best airflow in its group.
LIAN LI PC-A16B Black
LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black.
LIAN LI PC-7A plus II Silver

Last edited:
well its just an everything all rolled into one question, starting form a PC-65B reference. I can see myself getting a side panel without mesh so I could not use the gpu area exhaust parts - to lessen noise, buty the flow may be all screwed up. I am not even a hot runner. I am not now, nor planning on seeeking the holy grail of OCl; not anymore. Yes, a whack, but not all, so I'll be going back from my Zalman CNPS7000-Cu (quietest in head to heads) cpu cooler to stock for my 2.6C now, and anything else in future. Just have to test, A<>B them again. My quiet full OC capable pooter is now too loud. Right beside the tv, just a total annoyance. I want slightly less than average noise if anything, not slightly more. I can see the need for a full water cooled fully sealed case. I am not too concerned w/ notifications of drawbacks to the whole question as such, theres always a work around: I probly won't need more cool due to that specific symptom. All the little things can add up. I do have a Vantec NXP-301B Fan & Light Ctrlr and 4 80mm Vantec Stealth 20dB fans. Max 27cfm, but many of them strategically placed. These are as quiet as they come. A single fan of 37dB is a loud whirr, an outright freakin disaster! I had one and took it back - never going there. I may be playin around guite a bit, but I wan this purchase to be wise form the outset, no frills influencing the decision - this is my rule: I want slightly less than average noise if anything, not slightly more. Why should I be worse off than the stock piece of crap on any shelf in any store, with more power!?, for less. I'll look a those suggestions. The cpu fan/vent seems to make for quiet - noise in, then can use stock cpu cooler, and (my) Enermax EG-465P-VE SFC thermister on placed wire temp controlled dual fan ps exhausts it, as does the ps vent control noise/heat. I am sure thats a quiet ps, I would have reviewed the hell out of it before I bought it, for noise, etc. But even witha GTS320, may not need the gpu area exhaust blower at all, ever. Good point. My future OC target is say 1/2 way to the end of all the OC headroom say my whatever cpu can deliver. Say a 2.6MHz , not to 3.6, but maybe 3.1, to say 3.3, just as an on paper example. If I can get away with little cooling noise. I was gonna make a seperate post about this kinda OC %, and ask if all stock fans would be capable of efficient enough cooling for that.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/LianLi/PC-A16B/images/case2.jpg
PC-A16B is nice I'll have to fixate later for a while, slice the /images/case2.jpg off for the review. iirc, it has the thing I need least of the 3 cooling (+ sound) options, the gpu area blower in/out the back, not side (& its window), which is interesting. Going quiet seems to mean going flat on the front. Its not.

I don't hink the 7B Plus 2 has any of the 3, nor flat face, though it has F and R 120 fans. If PP is the best link for review/pic, its dicey because they pimp there LLs, such as putting 92s or 120s where others eg 80s stood before.

a pic of the 3 half way down: (blower rear in this one, not side)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=2844
add flat front, damping, window, height down (review(s?) of 6070 say 46.0), nicities (all rubber mounted), fans good, I'm done. The best news is all start at the same right short height.

My notes:
Std. PC-6075B PLUS II
PROS
designed for silent version Y
~1/8" flat front with rubber
"special" 1/8" insulation SST
insulation strip
2 F intake fans .09A, 1.08W, no L/M/H switch, approx same as M setting, unless ctrlr'd
ps duct Y
cpu duct (c/w 80mm intake R fan), (washable?) filter grill
gpu duct (out side only, or rear option,check in/out, and comparable rear venting vs. other cases w/ Rear, not side, w/3)
CHANGE: p4 of PCApex review says exhaust to Rear, for the gpu blower
CHANGE: depending on pic may have side mesh, but mounted to rear: see PP PC-65B enlrg pic window
rubber mounted components
window (PROBABLY)
height 49.0cm (46.0cm xreviewed) special feet for F bottom air intake
removable mobo tray, 4 thumbscrews
removable HDD tray 5x, Vetical mounting (H opt'l supplied), in front of F intake fan(s), 2 thumscrew
removable ps tray, 4 thumbscrews
Front USB2.0 2x, IEEE1394, MIC, EAR outsdie below door, always accessible
check intake dust filter/modify-ability?, filter & cover 2 thumbscrews
thumscrews/modular harnessing
lockable

CONS
c/w 2x80mm FF fans; intake filter issue: http://reviews.pcapex.com/cases/lian_li_pc-6070_plus_silent_case.php?page=2
if any modding/add-ons, eg. bay mounting? Prob N, foam even around internal bays

http://www.lian-li.com/product/product06.php?pr_index=25&cl_index=1&sc_index=1&ss_index=5&type=b

I still haven't seen a single comment about how quiet it is, though pctoys describes it as "Ultra Quiet", getting into double digits in the dogpile results. I think I can assume it is su/effieciently cool. Forced to have 2 internal/fush fans could it actually be quieter than PC-7B Plus 120F, 120 R, 4+2+sq,, no 3, no nothing.
PC-60B Plus2, 120 intake, rear out blower, 4+2 +sq. bay front, no foam, no rubber mounting== 3 + 120s, 1cm over mine

Last edited:

all the way down there is a real time flash of the air flow. Watch it for a while and think of the flow tubes. All of the air is specifically tailored. You can't miss the logic. It does NOT have one 80mm intake &/or one 80mm exhaust. There are 6 fans, 3 of each, one exhaust is a 120mm. If there is more push than pull its called positive pressure, and it helps to keep the case clean. It has 3 80mm intake fans (2 Front right through the HDDs, 1 for the cpu cooler), then has a 120mm exhaust fan blower right in the middle of the case facing the gpu and flushed air from the cpu intake air. Then there is the dual 80mm fans in the ps. I suggest theres no need for more, how can you ask for more? Maybe in completely other, utterly bereft designs. Your point has been discussed in reviews, but the numbers don't show anything but good results, as good or better than others. I could modify the F intake, or add a top fan like I have now, but I'm not that hot anyway. Jig saw, dremel grinding wheel, 1/16" x 1/16" rubber C channel, and a wire or Cr grill. But I bet they'd have it under control. Itis supposed to be classical silent, as little coming out of it as possible. It'd be like a house or ducting in a speaker - the only way to keep it quiet and not interfering is to channel it and keep it isolated. Why is it now matter how complete I am I have to be wrong? I'm not trying to argue, but I can't take any single out of hand comment seriously, as any other comments aren't yet to my point. Everything is appreciated.

At the bottom of this pg of review there are some cooling comparison numbers:
http://reviews.pcapex.com/cases/lian_li_pc-6070_plus_silent_case.php?page=5
"great case that has classic looks and very effective cooling"

http://www.dansdata.com/llpc6070.htm
"Modern PCs don't contain much that makes noise besides the fans. Hard drives, yes, but many of those are very quiet these days. Optical drives, sure; fast CD and DVD drives can make quite a racket when they're spinning an unbalanced disc. But optical drives aren't spinning all the time. Most PC noise still comes from fans....As it turned out, though, this actually is a rather quiet case...you still ought to get plenty of ventilation....The PC-6070 is a quiet case, and not just by Lian Li standards. Those three low power fans are quieter all put together than the single fan in most PSUs....PCs do emit a fair bit of sound through the front panel"

Last edited:
It would work well, if you only used a stock CPU cooler, or a something almost stock CPU cooler. Other wise its a terrible set up for cooling.
Its called silent for a reason. And the reason being is; the case is made to be silent, and not to have great cooling performance.
And its only silent, the 6070, is because it has foam slapped on it and dirt cheap quiet fans.

If you want a silent case, buy your self a case for $20 and slap Dynamat all around it that you can buy from Best Buy.

Whats your point dude? What are you getting at? This is confusing. What exactly do you want?

I wish i knew that a couple weeks ago. I think the ducting door rubber etc. approach helps
Have they designed a clear version yet for my window? aerogel. PP has a good silent acces. cart
When starting up the whole (counter-intuituvely expensive) OC thing, you have to take into account cooling and quiet. A little lower vs a little higher is a lot of difference. On my main [email protected] I have fans that go as quiet as anything, and when i turn them on, its all too loud together. My components don't go in the league of what some would consider barely usable/minimum, but that is nuts. I'm on a Intel stock fan cooled Celeron700, DVD, floppy, one HDD, no fans, and I can hear the hell out of it. I have no problem going back to stock where possible, and asking for a decent OC, and maybe only when necc, due to RAM etc. price, heat, and sound. I will want a good vid card though, and I know, its tough. A designed case with that in mind is a possibile neccesity, especially since you can't wrap a window, but you may be right about wrapping it all up. The 6070 with all its kit may even backfire - dissappoint.
LL is so modular, straight forward, well finished and built, stealth. When I first saw one I didn't like it, but I wasn't looking at black ones. Now I think it would be hard to go back to a cheap black cookie cutter/plastic case.

To see what my ideal case doesn't look like:
http://www.dynamat.com/products_computers_and_more_introduction.html
"Even the small Dynamat Xtreme Computer Kit can reduce computer noise by nearly 50%....no longer hear"

Btw, I used the Zalman supplied cpu grease, AS5 type stuff. I think I am a few/several degrees higher than I used to be initially four yrs ago. How often are you supposed to renew that stuff, and is there a type that doesn't wear out as fast as the other types, like ceramique for example?

Last edited:
With case window, youll have more noise. Plexiglas's is not a good noise blocker. You want a quiet case but you want a side window? You self contradicting your self.

Back