• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little behind the times...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_darkness

Registered
Hey guys!

So I just updated my system with as much as I could (check sig). But there are two items you'll notice that are going to need updating - the video card and the cooler. Now, this GTX 770 has served me quite well for the past few years, but between its time-in-service, a new board and new CPU, I fear she may be nearing the end of her useful life (plus, I just want a new damned card to go with the new parts!)

That being said, a couple of questions:

1. Is there a modern-day "equivalent" of the GTX 770 and, if so, what is it (need a starting point so I don't make a lateral or backwards move)?
2. With approximately $200 cost difference for each step up (1060, 1070, 1080) and no plans to run in an SLI config - would I see a noticeable difference by just going to the 1060? Are the 1070 and 1080 actually worth it?

I've looked at CUDA cores, clock speeds, etc.. They all look great on paper and in the box, but research and numbers mean nothing without quantifiable, real-world usage - hence my post here.

Thanks for any help/insight you can provide.

What resolution are you at? And will you be playing modern games at high/ultra or is medium settings okay?

Right now my (pretty old) monitor is at 1920x1080, but I have a dual monitor setup with DVI-I/VGA - and I'm pretty sure finding even dual DVI ports will be next to impossible on newer cards. So I would be looking to upgrade at least my main monitor - I am thinking a 2K res. As for games, I would be looking to play them on at least high settings. Ultra would be nice, but if I have to shill out a couple hundred more to do that, wouldn't really be worth it.

Thank you both. I've become partial to the LED/RGB revolution that's happening now, so if I'm going to spend $400 on a card, I'm just gonna spend $440 and get the ROG STRIX version.

Back