• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a question for our elecrical engeneers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With 50,000 mfd of filter capacitor, it will be clean enough for Peltier use up to the current limit of the transformer. The rectifier is not the deciding factor in the cleanliness of the DC. The amount of filtering capacitance is the deciding factor. If I was using that supply for a DC coupled Hi-fidelity stero amplifier, I might use more filtering capacitance, but then you run the risk of too much inrush current at power up. That is, without a soft start circuit.

Hoot

The Faceless Rebel (Mar 07, 2001 09:08 p.m.):
I love the way this thread keeps on misspelling "electrical" in it's topic name.

come on guys :D
Yeah well I also misspelled "engineers" so sue me! :D

Kurt Schmidt (Mar 07, 2001 08:28 a.m.):
Hey hoot,

I never played with rectifiers when I did all my electronics messing, but how clean is the DC signal that you get from that powersupply? I remember much much larger power supply circuts - but then again it was 7+ years ago.

Just wondering

cheers!
Now that I have read a book on this PSU stuff. I can tell you that a rectifier does not filter the current. It isolates a polarity, which means it converts AC to pulsating DC. Then the capacitor "fills in" the low spots in the resulting current. You still don't end up with very clean current (it ripples about 2%), but a voltage regulator (or multiple regulators in a parallel circuit for high amperage) will make the single very very clean. But you will still should use a capacitor as a "pre-filter" to a voltage regulator.

Damn I learned a lot from that book Hoot :D I sound like a pro now :)

Jeff Evans (Mar 07, 2001 11:14 p.m.):

Hang out with HAMs long enough and you become one!:)

Colin

Colin (Mar 08, 2001 12:59 a.m.):
Jeff Evans (Mar 07, 2001 11:14 p.m.):

Hang out with HAMs long enough and you become one!:)

Colin
I don't know about that, but I had a crazy A$$ed idea about a half-hour ago. I'm thinking of taking on a bigger project latter. I'm thinking about building a 600W ATX PSU. I honestly have the needed skills now too.

You wouldn't happen to know were to get ATX PSU tech-specs would you?

Back