• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A VERY bad experience with AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rizge

look people this is the whole problem i have been facing with my overclock:
First of all i have a moderate experience in oc
i had a :
600@900 Celeron
900@1150 Celeron
1100@1466 Celeron
So after a good thought i wanted to try AMD as they have better IPC and should be a new

experience after all
Now i regret that and my next buy will be an INTEL Proc of course that Giant corporation that i

double-crossed
I got an 1.4 Athlon Thunderbird with the best stepping available (AYhJA "Y") working at 100 FSB * 14
My Motherboard is the SL-75FRN-L based on the very reputated Chipset NForce2
Ram is 1X256 Spectek PC2700 DDR Ram
Till now everything is fine
I forgot to mention that i tried amd because they have their Multiplier unlocked or when they are

locked they are easy to unlock
ok
First of all 1.33 and 1.4 shall be multiplier unlocked
Mine came with all the L1 bridges cut = LOCKED
I didn't mind that and unlocked it with a graphit pencil
OK
then i wanted to operate it at 166FSB*8 = 1328 (notice mine is 1400) and but it can't do it I

said maybe my Northbridge is getting too Hot or can't do it so i tried it at 133FSB*10.5=1396.5
but also it failed
IT boots but crashes in windows or restarts
That is even Without OC
i removed it from my mind seeing it can't do its frequency at any setting that is not 100*14
Don't Start telling me it could be my board or even my ram coz i tested them before and they

worked great
And i have even relaxed my mem timings VERY VERY much, and also upping my VCore and my Vdimm but

to no avail
Thanx people for your help
Intel Community, I am coming

Well... While I have no idea why you wre so compelled to buy a Thunderbird in the year 2003; being around 3 years old now, I'd have to highly doubt that it is your processor. The kinds of errors that you're getting seem quite software-related to me. Try doing a fresh install of windows, and make sure you have the newest chipset drivers.

Sorry but a thunderbird 1400 is not running at 1400 Ghz at stock it runs at 1200 Ghz so you already overclocked it by a good margin, I'm not sure what your HSF is but that may be the heart of your problem or maybe just rise the Volt core a little bit would be enough

Janissary said:
Sorry but a thunderbird 1400 is not running at 1400 Ghz at stock it runs at 1200 Ghz so you already overclocked it by a good margin, I'm not sure what your HSF is but that may be the heart of your problem or maybe just rise the Volt core a little bit would be enough

A Thunderbird 1400 runs at 1400MHz.

To the starter of this thread, I laugh at your ignorance/stupidity and will not bother wasting my time to tell you all the things you did wrong.

Janissary said:
Tbird 1400 = 1.4Ghz

And rizge, you're welcome to buying expensive processors that work less. After all, you've been buying Celerons all this time when the Athlons were king and now you say you have problems? Color me unaffected. :rolleyes:

When will people realize that the companies don't want you to overclock, and when you overclock, you run the hardware out of spec. That means all the blame lies on you if something goes wrong. You can choose to accept it and not *****, or you can choose to not accept it and have a right to *****.

possibly telling us information such as temps of your processor would help. also what mb and ram are you using and did you try the processor at stock settings or did you just immediately try to ramp up the fsb.

for one the athlon thunderbird doesnt like high fbs u have to up the multi to overlcock it u can up the fbs by a little abit around 115fbs should be ok

lol the atlhon 1.4ghz is faster than your 1100@1466 Celeron

even at stock :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet that heat was is probably your main problem, as the 1.4Ghz tbird was one of the hottest running cpu's ever made and if you are trying to OC it with the stock AMD HSF then you have something coming for you. Find out your temps first of all and work from there.

may i add that the 1400 athlons stock fsb is 133mhz if you couldnt boot at 133 you must not have done the pencil trick correct to unlock the multi..why am i waisting my lame typing skills on you anyway..you came to the wrong forums to complain about a company that we all praise. go to the intel forums and tell them your problems!!!!

opps got it wrong :( lol i thought it only had a 100fbs oh well least i know its got a 133fbs now

ive only ever owned 5 cpus
all AMD :D

got to love AMD for the great line off cpus they have given us

Fever said:
To the starter of this thread, I laugh at your ignorance/stupidity and will not bother wasting my time to tell you all the things you did wrong.
rizge, there are many people who are willing to help you here.
Since they are very experienced, they don't take kindly to statements as you can see but jump to help you when you ask questions.

Is Cairo, Egypt where you are right now? What kind of access do you have to hardware shops, and are you willing to invest or is your plan just to get most out of your current system?

Most importantly, are you using an AMD retail Thunderbird stock heatsink? (List all your computer specs so that we may help you.)

If you are using a stock heatsink, be very careful as you are indeeed dealing with hotter processor than others and it's not recommended at all to overclock with stock hetsinks, particularily old Thunderbirds.

Last edited:

Word!

BTW what is "Spectek" memory?

that Athlon 1400 was prob more expensive than a 1700+

I smell the scent of a newb.

Next time read on how to over clock and the steps you have to prepare and what to buy before you start flaming you ***k f@ce.

Tell us your Temps, what is your memory timings? What kinda memory is that? Are you running Win2000 or xp? Voltages?

Give us some info and maybe we will/can help

Adam
:mad:

Janissary said:

Ohh dear he said thunderbird and I wrote thunderbird but I meant Thoroughbred, really sorry for the disinformation :bang head

...and if he had sed a T-Bred, than you would have been right?

PR ratings for desktops started with the 1500+ Palomino.
First Thoroughbred was a 2000+ but later they released lower models like the 1700+ and even later a 1600+ Thoroughbred.

I don't think anyone around here has ever seen a 1600+ Thoroughbred though so it may be that they can only be found in some OEM desktops.

There's no such thing as a 1400+ or a 1500+ Thoroughbred for desktops.

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

Last edited:
Most of the responses probably already covered anything I would say regarding what your possible issues have been but I gotta say next purchase you make try coming to the forums for advice in advance. A thunderbird 1.4 is one of the hotest running cpus around. Not at all the ideal processor for overclocking(I would say regardless of the make/model the last iteration of a chip before a new core is introduced is probably not going to have alot of overclocking headroom).

I think you had the right idea trying out amd and going with one of their lower speed processors to get the most bang for your buck, but you should have researched which steppings etc would have worked best. Especially considering the motherboard you have a thoroughbred chip would have saved you trouble unlocking your trip (not to mention how much easier it would be to oc).

ayoung said:

Word!

BTW what is "Spectek" memory?

that Athlon 1400 was prob more expensive than a 1700+

I smell the scent of a newb.

Next time read on how to over clock and the steps you have to prepare and what to buy before you start flaming you ***k f@ce.

Tell us your Temps, what is your memory timings? What kinda memory is that? Are you running Win2000 or xp? Voltages?

Give us some info and maybe we will/can help

Adam
:mad:
YOU SAID IT!!! First off why buy a Thunderbird when you could get a 1700+ or even a 2500+ for dirt cheap??? Second, learn to overclock. Third, Don't bash AMD because you don't know how to overclock! AMD all the way. Your petty remarks have not phased me at all. I'm still 100% proAMD!!!

Oh Come on guys i ain't flaming your 'beloved' Company
I just wanted to say that i got some unexpected results from something that i just wanted to be better
I myself wanted to be an Amd fan because of their unlocked Multiplier and because they are the only big company that competes Intel and keeps prices low
Think what could be the case if AMD has gone bankrupt and intel dominated the proc market
Anyways,
To my problem :
My Complete Specs are as following:
Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 100FSB (AYhJA "Y")and yes there are 133FSB & 100FSB ones
Soltek SL-FRN-L (Mucho awardwinning) Mobo with NForce 2 chipset
And here some review for that one:
http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=61777
http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=61696
http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=61817
As you see they are all taken from NEOSEEKER Review-Search-Engine
1*256 Spectek PC2700 DDR Ram (no- it is not famous but the best type in Egypt at least made in the states and has lifetime warranty)
Some CoolerMaster HSF which says it works upto 1.4 Tbird and 2000+ XP /w 4800RPM /W VMOD about 15V -> 8000RPM
Some AS-like Made in Germany
Geforce 2 MX(F*** This)
GameSurround Hercules Fortissimo II
350W PSU 3.3V & 5V =150W
DIE TEMP 58
External Temp 45
Case Fans,etc....

IF u look at all these components u will certainly realize they are the best bang for the buck esp. the mobo
Yes i know this d*** processor is some monster in heatdissipation issues at 72W but that was the cheapest processor in 6 Big Computer Malls
ANY Tbred is more than double the price of this one some i had to get it even ur beloved 1700+ with that certain stepping is much more pricy about 100US$ :)
Anyways thanks for the replys of ''MOST'' of u and special thx for u "c627627"

Sorry for my bad English

Wow... I don't even know where to start with you. You bought incredibly dated technology. The T Bird 1.4ghz was out years ago. Imagine someone coming into the Intel forums and saying the bought a PIII 1.0ghz because it was the best bang for the buck. The 1700+ costs most around $70 with shipping. You can get a mediocre stepping from newegg for $42. I'd suggest you get rid of that ancient processor immediately.

And for u zash because u have really annoyed me
I got My brothers [email protected] before with +.2VCore with no Case fans and and a standard HSF on top of it
But the story doesn't end here
Did u know that this Darn GigaByte Mobo didn't have any VCore adjustment all the work had to be done physically on the back of the board
I am far from saying that i am a excellent OC/er
But at least i have experience that i try to increase by asking real experts and good gurus not just someone who tries Decrease the morale of people

Back