• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 CG stepping , anyone have one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I havent seen anyone with them, I heard rumors that the mobile ones at newegg are possibly cg steppings but it hasent been proven yet. It could still be some time before we see any in the wild, maybe they will be out during the release of 939.

Bar81 said:
Well, at least you can read, although searching seems to be beyond your skills at this point :rolleyes:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282431&pagenumber=2

No, searching is not beyond my skills. However, not everyone knows that you have to use ** to get phrases like "CG" up to the four-letter limit. :rolleyes: Even so, it wouldn't have hurt you to contribute to the thread a little bit more and either bring a close to this thread or resurrect the other one. No need to be hostile about it, either. I can read quite well and I've been here long enough to know how to use the search function.

Anyway, I have a question for you. You said in the other thread that you're using a PAL 8150, but you mentioned the HSF retention mechanism later on; are you just using the backplate without the top plastic bit? I have the 8150 and I've been using the standard backplate, but that was with a desktop A64 (with the heatspreader). I can't see the 8150's screws tightening enough to make good contact with a heatspreader-less chip.

You dropped the first :rolleyes: I was simply responding in kind. Either way it's forgotten.

Your PAL8150 should have come with instructions. From my recollection you're not supposed to use the top plastic bit; it's the first thing I remove.

With regards to the backplate, the only one that worked is the actual Alpha brand metal backplate which you can buy from Newegg for about $12. Alpha also recommends that when it comes to backplates to only use the all metal variety for proper tension with any A64; I know some motherboards come with plastic or part plastic backplates (my motherboard came with none ;) )

Oh, and I'm also using Arctic Silver 5; a nice solid layer on top of the core.

Yeah, if you don't take the plastic top piece off the 8150 won't fit at all. I've got a metal backplate, but not the Alpha model. I wanted to try one of these DTRs since I got rid of my 3000+, but I was worried that the 8150 wouldn't work since the chip has no heatspreader. Looks like it might be a go, though. :thup: Have you done anymore overclocking with the chip? One of the fellows over at Xtreme hit 2.75 with just 1.75v on his DTR. Of course, that's with a Prommy, but still... I think it might show that these CPUs have some serious potential.

Shade00 said:
Yeah, if you don't take the plastic top piece off the 8150 won't fit at all. I've got a metal backplate, but not the Alpha model. I wanted to try one of these DTRs since I got rid of my 3000+, but I was worried that the 8150 wouldn't work since the chip has no heatspreader. Looks like it might be a go, though. :thup: Have you done anymore overclocking with the chip? One of the fellows over at Xtreme hit 2.75 with just 1.75v on his DTR. Of course, that's with a Prommy, but still... I think it might show that these CPUs have some serious potential.

Yeah, as long as you use the Alpha backplate you should be fine.

As to overclocking I wish I could help but I really can't stand VIA or the current Nforce implementations so I'm limited with my current mobo in that department. Besides I have a SATA boot drive which limits overclocking with any current mobo until one with a lock comes out that may allow for higher clocking with SATA.

Back