• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7M266-D Socket temp acting up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

Well first of all my Dual asus had a little problem I think.
I tested both sockets witht he same stepping CPU and the exact same HSF's on both. One was idling at like 41 and the other was skyrocketing up to 60, so I turned it off. I replaced the hotter CPU with a better heatsink, and it was still at a way higher temp! Finally it burned out the CPU and now that I only have one in there, the empty socket is showing up as 34 degrees, and my other socket is at 41 degrees full load. Anyone know why one socket gets extremely hot? By the way, the cooler socket is at 1.85 Vcore, and the hotter socket was running at 1.75 Vcore too.

Wierd Wierd Wierd.

AudiMan said:
Well first of all my Dual asus had a little problem I think.
I tested both sockets witht he same stepping CPU and the exact same HSF's on both. One was idling at like 41 and the other was skyrocketing up to 60, so I turned it off. I replaced the hotter CPU with a better heatsink, and it was still at a way higher temp! Finally it burned out the CPU and now that I only have one in there, the empty socket is showing up as 34 degrees, and my other socket is at 41 degrees full load. Anyone know why one socket gets extremely hot? By the way, the cooler socket is at 1.85 Vcore, and the hotter socket was running at 1.75 Vcore too.

Wierd Wierd Wierd.

Asus seem to have crazy internal diode, they seem to add 10 degrees or something!

Its best if you buy a cheap LCD Probe at Radio Shack to be sure that all your temperatures are correct.

I know for a fact is not the diode. Because the computer reboots when trying to load windows, and jsut by touching the heatsinks, one is WAY hotter than the other one
I never had this problem before

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes... I was in the same shoes just 2 weeks ago, 2 crunchers both died in the same week.. Not fatal but took a toll on my pocketbook,lol had to buy a new harddrive for one and a faster processor, and mobo for the second system..
Don't lose faith..
Crunch ON!!

My recommendation would be lapping the heatsink, and adding some thin coat of AS3 on the core, then rubbing some AS3 on the heatsink.

I think your heatsink isn't making full contact.

Make sure you apply the as3 just like it says on the site.. not applying it correctly will be just the same as using none at all.. All along after visiting the site i was applying like 400% too much as3.. After doing it the right way my temps went down 3-4 c not bad hehe.. But yea if one cpu is overheating that bad i would think like yodums was saying it is definatly not making good contact with the cpu or if your sure that isnt the case maybe sumthing is wrong with the zif socket where the cpu goes into.. maybe somehow it is shorting it out casuing outrageous temps.. best bet is try to call asus tech dept.. Good luck on that one they are bout as clueless as we are,lol some are more clueless..
Hope you find your problem..

I already tried all that, but thanks for the advice. I won't be getting another CPU to fill the socket for another few weeks atleast. or may until the tbred comes out. I'm probably going to go watercooling on my AGOGA as soon as I get some $$.
Hopefully, I'll reach over 1.7 on my 1700. I really want to break my 300 MHZ record (P3-700 @ 1000 default voltage 40 Deg full load) MEaning that I will need more than 1766 mhz from my XP-1700. Sounds like it is doable.

Back