• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V400-MX acting kinda weird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I had gotten this board and have been running it for about a month now. I got it as an upgrade from a FIC AM37, which came with an eMachines, just something to get me by for the time being. Since I have built this system, as only things from old system are my cd-rw and dvd-rw, intenet explorer and Windows Media player seem to have some kind of issue, where they cause the computer to completely lock up, the screen goes black for about a half a second, then it all comes back as nothing happened. I have switched to using Netscape for my browsing, and the problem seems to have stopped. The only OC I have done is the vid, but I used the utility that came with the card, which is not supposed to use any settings that can cause instability. The card is a MSI star-force FX5200 (dont laugh I know its not that great), and runs all my games including doom3 flawlessly. My cpu is Athlon XP3000+ Barton, and ram is 1 gb pc2700 and 256 mb pc3200. I have installed the ram in other ppls systems, and it ran with no errors, and the only programs that I seem to be having this issue with are Microsoft. I'm sure that its not video, since I don't have any problems with games that the card should be having a very hard time running. This is my first Asus board, and so far I like it. If anyone has any ideas, or has had similar problems, I am willing to try just about anything. Thanks in advance. And by the way this is the first system that I have built.

try using the onboard video, and if that fixes it, its usually the video card. you might have some BIOS settings wrong though. My BIOS was only allowing 64MB AGP and the card is 128, and running it @ 4x instead of 8x.

I think I am going to have to RMA the motherboard. It no longer starts up Windows. If it does start up, I usually get a repeated cycle of restarts before either before or during post. I am not sure what this problem might be although I have read that replacing the CMOS battery might fix the problem it did not. I have been able to get into Windows a couple of times, but anytime I put a cd in the drive, or the cpu fan started to speed up, it restarted again. I have not installed the drivers on that system for the onboard, and am now having this problem.. I am going to call Asus Technical support tomorrow and see what they say, although I am almost positive that I am going to have to send the mobo in.

Back