• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax v1.2 WONT UPDATE BIOS WONT RUN EXPO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microbar

I Have just put together an AMD b650 system.

Motherboard Model: Gigabyte B650 aorus elite AX V1.2
G-Skill Trident Neo Z5 expo DDR5-6000 / pc-4800 cl32-38-38-96
Nvidia MSI RTX 360 Ti Gaming X Trio
AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

My problem is I set Expo in the Bios but on restart I get the CPU/DRAM LEDS Alternate flashing.
But If I do a cold start it boots ok with expo enabled at the correct speed and timings. It runs fine for days as long as I cold boot the system. But everytime I need to restart it just hangs on alternate CPU/DRAM LEDS. I then have to cold boot.

Also I have tried to update the Bios from FB to something newer
to see if it helps with the problem. But the Bios goes through the process of updating gets to 100 percent shuts down.
then gets stuck into the same CPU/DRAM LEDS flashing.
So I have to cold boot again but the Bios has not updated.

I have tried most things like reset cmos tried one stick of memory.
But nothing seems to work.
Grateful for any help on this thanks.

You may have tried this already but set your BIOS to factory defaults then try to update. The thought being that if a setting is borking you, bypass it and see if that lets you update. The update then may work with the setting(s) you desire.

don256us tried setting the Bios to default still wont update

EarthDog tried no CPU flashing, I press the flash button pc turns on for about 1 second then goes off So doesnt even attempt to update the Bios

Trap05 try some different ram to complete the bios update
Thats my next step Just waiting for the memory to arrive.
It just seems a complete silicon lottery if your DDR5 parts actually work together.
will update hopefully the new ram helps.

although the gskill was on the gigabyte list as compatible.
thanks again for your replies

EarthDog tried no CPU flashing, I press the flash button pc turns on for about 1 second then goes off So doesnt even attempt to update the Bios
Are you doing it right? As in, the USB stick in the right port? That's critical to the Flashback working...what slots are your RAM sticks in? A2 an B2, right? Refer to your manual for that and detailed Flashback instructions.

I highly doubt it's the memory. It doesn't make sense, considering I don't believe it's touched during a Flashback BIOS flash in the first place. That's all done independently with the flashing chip. I'm pretty sure you can flashback without RAM as well. Just Flashback the right way and don't have the RAM in. If it still behaves the same way, you know it wasn't the RAM. Doesn't hurt (maybe your wallet) to try with new, I guess. But I'd keep the packaging etc. to return it.

It just seems a complete silicone lottery if your DDR5 parts actually work together.
I have to say, I don't find this to be true. While AMD's memory support is a bit more finnicky than Intel, it's still a mature ecosystem where an overwhelming majority of kits 'just work'. Silicon lottery (not silicone, that's boobs, lol) doesn't really play a role here. This is bad luck or a bad part, not an on going theme. :)

Last edited:
I have just received the corsair vengeance memory and the result is the same the memory will not run at 6000 expo setting 1. As soon as I come out of the Bios to save the expo setting it wont boot. I get an alternative flashing between the cpu and dram lights. the only way it will boot is if the default settings of 4800 even then it gets the timings wriong.
I have also tried to update the Bios with Q-flash with the usb stick in the Bios port. when I press the flash button the pc starts up for about 1 second then it shuts down,I did think a Bios update might help the ram etc.
looks like Im going to have to RMA the motherboard.

I have just received the corsair vengeance memory and the result is the same the memory will not run at 6000 expo setting 1.
To be sure, you put the RAM in the correct slots, right? A2 and B2? Please double check before an RMA. You can also double check the socket and make sure there aren't any bent pins or blemishes on the CPU pads.

Every popular RAM brand uses SPD profiles compatible with JEDEC, so it doesn't matter if it's G.Skill or other brand, it should work at auto/SPD. If it doesn't work because of RAM (somehow I doubt it's the case) then try 1 memory stick in 2 or 4 memory slot (counting from the CPU side). Maybe one of the slots is corrupted (bent pin or something that causes bad contact).

Q-Flash or other recovery options work almost only when the flash drive is formatted in Fat16/32. It may not read the BIOS file if it's formatted in ExFat or Ntfs or anything else. The BIOS file requires a a correct file name too. It should be described in the manual.

Yeah, that flashback behavior isn't normal... just not sure if it's a PEBKAC or what. Not sure if he tried the flashback without RAM either....

Finally got my Bios updated from AB to FCd I had to remove the .m2 and it flashed with no problems.
But the ram will only run at the default speed of 4800 it will run fine at that speed no problems.
But it just doesn't Like Expo enabled at all. as soon as it reboots from the bios I get alternative CPU/DRAM LIGHTS FLASHING. I dont suppose an RMA on the board will help as It runs at default speed now and My Bios Has updated.
Dont know if you could suggest anything further to help. I have the ram in the default slots for duel ram A2 & B2
I have tried gskill and corsair vengence just delivered today both supposed to be compatible on the gigabyte site.

Yes, you are right. Gigabyte has weirdly described product pages. Depending on the page, it's sometimes in a straight line: v1.2 (v1.0/1.1) or v1.0/1.1 (v1.2), and links under the second version number are not visible at first.

If it doesn't work at EXPO, then try one of the motherboard profiles (if they are listed in your BIOS) or simply manually set the memory clock, main timings, and VDD/VDDQ voltages (all from the memory label). Leave everything else at auto so the motherboard will train the best settings. If it won't work at manual settings, then ask Gigabyte if it's a good reason for RMA. Since your RAM is on the QVL, then it should work, and if it doesn't, then maybe something is wrong with the motherboard.

Thanks will give that a try just before I set the timings etc. have you any idea how the lights flash on this board when the memory is training. nothing at all in the motherboard to give you a hint thanks.

Back