• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aaaaaaaargh my cpu fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

OMG!!!! my m8 accidentaly put his finger in the cpu fan :bang head and one of the fins flew off, the fan started to make a loud grinding noise like it was vibrating very vigirously so i quickly switched of my pc.

I checked the fan and everything seemed ok but the noise was still made II was realy worried i put my case on its side and the noise lessened i cushioned the case with a pillow under it (making sure the pillow was touching nothing on the under side) and the sound can hardly be heard i just need some advice to make sure that nothing more can happen and if i can carry on using my pc until i get a new fan (and also if the cushion under the case thing is a good idea)

Can anyone reccomend a good socket A Athlon XP fan and heatsink preferably a realy cheap generic one anything to replace the one i got.
Also can anyone recommend something to clean the thermal grease stuff of the cpu.

For the thermal grease, just use some Isopothorol (spelling?) alchohol. The more pure, the better. I'm not sure if it is safe, I'd be afraid of it damaging sensitive components with the constant banging and un-even spin..

With a missing blade, the fan is no longer balanced. It will mess up the fan bearings pretty quickly. My advice is to use it as little as possible until you replace the fan. You would think someone would have a stock XP cooler laying around gathering dust that you could pick up for just a couple of bucks.

They have kingwin heatsinks on newegg, they are copper and come with an 80mm fan, while only running around $15.

EDIT: They dont have em anymore, but you might try svc or some other cooling websites.

what about glueing the fin back on with a little superglue? :-/ just a thought...i'm not sure if it would work, but superglue is some amazing stuff!!!!

EDIT: just make sure not to get any on ur fingers/hands(it drys quickly)
EDIT2: My advice would be to use a toothpick or something like that to apply the glue(even until you get a new one)

Don't even think about gluing it. It will still be unbalanced. Just run down to your local computer store and buy a new fan...maybe $10.

yeah the fan should be able to come off of the sink with little effort and new new fan should be able to go in its place. I would mail you a fan for free (i have to many and my case is modded for 120's) but my dad woudln't like the fac that I was mailing a fan to a stranger, so sorry.

What size fan is it? I did the same thing, first day of this year. Ended up getting a 60-80 mm adapter and a cheapo case fan, which should be enough to replace a 60mm fan.

its a 60mm fan im gonna buy a whole new heatsink and fan cos the heatsink somehow has been loosened only one problem the heatsink is **** hard to get of and i sont know what to do and im worried incase i might crush the core of the xpu or something like that if i try to hard any tips on getting it off?

Last edited:
Well, normaly you just press down on the clip with a screwdriver and slowly move it away from the socket, then let up. I cant see how it would be difficult as long as your screwdriver fits.

when that happened to my 60mm CPU fan i just glued the fin back on with superglue and use it for about 3 months until i got a new HSF and it worked fine, the weight of the superglue is negligible.

Back