• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to buy 955x/P4-640 Based System. Suggestions on my config Please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randyman...

Hello.

After building my friend an Intel 945G/630 based system, I am itching to build myself a 955x (or even 975) based system. I currently run PC#1 in my sig as my main rig. It would be demoted, and I'd rip the RAPTORS out of it, along with one DVD-Drive - so I'm set on HD's and Opticals for this new system.

I am of course looking at the Asus P5WD2 Premium : http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131534

Q: What is a good/effective Northbridge HSF for this MoBo? I'll be running a XP-120 w/ the LGA-775 Bracket on the CPU. The other 945 based PC I built runs a bit hot on the Northbridge, so I'd like to actively cool this one...

A P4 640 3.2GHz & 2MB L2 : http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819116197

Some Geil DDR2 533 1GB x 2 RAM (I might "up" the RAM later, but I plan on running 1:1 RAM with a FSB around 275 and CPU Multi set to 14x, so 533MHz should be fine): http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820144336

To be honest, I really have no clue what to look for in a video card :( . I would like some future compatibility with Vista, but I'm NOT a heavy gamer, and I probably won't even OC the video card. Something with a quiet fan, or no fan would be ideal. 256MB of RAM (256 bit would be nice), and obviously PCI-Express 16x format. Budget for Video Card is around $150. I have been an ATI guy, but I saw the Asus Geforce 6600 256MB, and it caught my eye (no fan) : http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814121199

Any suggestions there?

I'm getting an Antec SLK-30000B case, and I'll be replacing the rear 120mm fan with a higher-flow / variable speed fan and adding an identical fan for the front intake/HD cooler, and I'll be adding a 80mm or 120mm fan to the side panel intake (for the CPU Fresh Air Tunnel). Simular to my current 4GHz rig that runs nice and cool... A lapped XP-120 with a 120mm 110CFM fan will be added for the CPU.

I'm planning on running at around 275FSB (+/-) for a calculated FSB of ~1100MHz, RAM at 1:1 for ~550MHz, and CPU at 14x or 15x (If that is an option???) Multi for right at or under 4GHz...

I'll pull the TWO 36Gig Raptors out of my current rig, and run them in RAID-0 for OS, and also pull a 300 Gig SATA 16MB HD and use it for Data. Plextor 740A for DVD-RW/CD-RW duties on PRI-IDE as Master.

I'll also use my brand-new OCZ Powerstream 520 Power Supply, and put the old Enermax 465Watt back into the old PC.

Sound good? Are there any obvious improvments, suggestions, or "Future-Proofing" qualities to be made for little extra investment?

I'll be ordering in the next few days after a Newegg RMA clears into my Paypal Account. Thaks for any prompt input! :burn:

:attn:

Bump. The RMA I was waiting on should show up in my Paypal account Tonight, so I will probably order this stuff on Thursday or Friday. Any re-assurance or better suggestions on my components are greatly welcomed (especially the Video Card for ~$150)!

Should I post this somewhere else?

That is kind of what I was thiking, but what will that offer above the 955x MoBo? The 955 will still support Pressler, correct? (Not that I'd ever buy a $1K CPU anyway). I heard the 975 is only SLIGHTLY superior to the 955, and the benefits the 975 has would probably not do much for my rig (maybe equivalent from going from an 865 to a 875?). Also, I will NOT need SLI, as I am not a gamer (lack of good SLI support on the P5WD2 Premuim is no big deal to me at all).

However, if you think that the release of the 975 MoBo's will significantly lower the price of the 955 MoBo's, then that might be worth considering (if it ends up only $15 or so cheaper, then I don't mind paying $15 extra to build this PC now).

Any other reasons to wait another month or so? I WON'T be spending $1000 on a Presler CPU, so that idea is out the window ;) . I might do a Dual Core down the road, but a single HT 640J with a descent OC will do me fine for now IMO. If I do end up upgrading to a Dual Core, then I can put the 640J into my other Shuttle xPC LGA775 system, and sell the Shuttle's old 530J on eBay (or wherever).

On the topic of Video, what is "The PCI-16x Card To Get" in the $150 range?

Thanks for the input, and please keep it coming! :thup:

Last edited:
Impatient Bumpage. The RMA Refund just cleared into my Paypal Acount - so now I'm REALLY itching to buy this before I blow the cash on stupid stuff...

I just like to have more than one set of eyes look over my order to make sure I am not overlooking anything obvious, or anything that might make this a "Future Proof Rig" (for at least 2 years or so).

I think I'm going to a 6600GT Card (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814125175). It is passive (no fan), and hopefully it will hang with my current systems' 9800-Pro w/128MB of 256Bit RAM. Not a big gamer, but would like a descent video card equivalent (or better) than the 9800-Pro...

I will probably order tomorrow, so any re-assurance is greatly appreciated...

:cool:

I'll probably order tonight. I'm assuming this set-up will be fine.

I'll probably hold-off on the Video Card, as I really have no clue what to get (the whole 128-bit memory thing is putting me off, and I have gotten mixed suggestions on what I should buy). I have a ATI x300 in my Shuttle xPC that I can pull out, and use the Shuttle's On-Board Video until I decide which card to buy for this new build. Any suggestions would be GREAT! (Still looking below $200, and the card must be fairly quiet).

PC Build #4, and counting. So far, I'm batting 1000 (thanks to OC Forums!!!!!!! :thup: )

Last edited:
i think you will be fine ... that is a good board ... i have 2 of them premium and non.

I have and 830 on one and a 551 on the other. I have my 830 in the same case although i am about to run it caseless on a rack ... due to heat and space. I fold on mine 724 so they run hot on air.

I am not into much video so can't help out there.

My only comment is that unless you want all the features on the premuim, I an not sure it is worth the extra $. Some say better bios support, but i think a lot of the extra bios updates have been to fix the extra features/peripheral support.

I also have 2 p5ld2's running 830's .. actually better folding performance and somewhat lower temps than the p5wd2. Not sure if they will oc the same as the p5wd2 with a non dual core only cuz i haven't tried it.

Good luck with the OC ... should hit 4ghz no problem. My 551 hit 4.5 on air but i have to run it at 4.25 because of temps folding 724.

edit ... ps i currently have most features disabled in bios since i am only folding on them atm. I will likely turn the 551 p5wd2-p into my main rig when i get some time, swing my water onto it, and try for 5 ghz.

can't comment much on ram - all mine is 667 , corsair 5400c5, mushkin 6400, ocz and pqi turbo 667 mixed ... timings don't seem too critical, at least for folding. I don't think any of mine are running 1:1.

Last edited:
Cool. I guess I should update my decisions:

Broke down on Thursday, and bought:

Presler 930 Dual 3.0GHz w/ 2x 2MB L2 (2MB per core) (~$340 shipped w/ copy of WoW) :D :D :D

Asus P5WD2-Premium

And since I put the Presler on the MasterCard, I was able to splurge a bit on fantastic RAM and a descent x800 Video Card:

2 Gigs of OCZ Gold DDR-667 4-4-4-8 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227047 ). Should OC like a maniac, but I doubt I'll take the RAM speed too far (not much point IMO).

Sapphire x800 w/ GDDR3 RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102602). Unlocks easily to 16 pipes, and has GDDR3 256MB/256BIT RAM.

Stuck with the SLK3000 case, and another XP-120 that will get a lapping.

If I can't get the performance I'm expecting, I will swap out the CPU at some point - but I think I will get 4.2GHz with the XP-120. If I don't get at least 4GHz, I'll sell the Presler. Rumors are suggesting that Intel aggresively speed binned the early shippments of Preslers, therefore resulting in crappy OC's. I'll find out soon enough. I'm sure I'll end up drooling :drool: at my system (fingers crossed).

Too late. Just went to "Status 5: Shipped". I'll try them and see how I like them. I really like the 4-4-4-8 timings, but at these speeds timings start to lose their importance IMO.

If I have a single peep of problems with the OCZ, I'll Refund RMA it, and try out that PQI...

Thanks for the heads-up :cool:

Back