• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC Fans? Pros? Cons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesavery22

Im going to make a seperate box to hold my heatercores, pumps, and PSU which will be attached to the top of the case.

I want to use two 172mm fans to cool everything.

I dont want to put any more load on the PSU so I was thinking of using AC fans.
Namely these:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004081910523599&item=16-1039&catname=electric

Unfortunately they dont have the actual specs there. The 11-40watts is something they label like half the AC fans with there. Are AC fans any less efficient than DC fans?

Does anyone know of a place to get some 172mm AC fans other than surplus center?

These look kind of old and I am hoping to get some relatively quiet ones.

I'd stick with a DC fan. It would probably make your life easier. You can always get a AC-DC power brick & power the fan from that & save your power supply the burden of the fan (not sure how much power they draw at that size. It may be better to just plug it into the PS). If I've been told correctly DC, is more powerful than AC.

One of the other questions I had is it even possible to control an AC fan? IE put a rheostat in series with it?

I didnt think of getting a 12v DC power brick thanks. Those are actually really easy to get a hold of and could get one that could power a few pumps and both fans for really cheap... I'll keep that in mind thanks again.

Back