• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new GTX 1070 ti's fans stopped working !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yikes, do you mind if I ask where you are located? That looks like pretty new construction

It's indeed new construction. I'm in Saudi Arabia.

I'm surprised ground wasn't mandated.

Well, I think that's because the electricity company is grounding the main lines from the district transformer, but this is the point I want to be sure of because I measured the current from neutral to PSU chassis and it was 0A as the voltage on the chassis is 110V !!

I am still a little skeptical that this could cause all of your problems.

It's absolutely the reason, because the PSU need the 3 ground wire which left unconnected and having 110V that need to go the ground, because of the AC main input filtering capacitors.

20191017_074100.jpg

I've operated PCs in houses with old construction that did not have a ground and I never experienced this effect. I'm no electrician but I don't believe the system should be dumping current to ground. I would suggest checking your motherboard mounting,

All other appliances that have so exposing ground to people can cause electric shocks if they are not grounded!

Like my dish washer, the internal metal area is grounded, but my electricity is not grounded, so there are 110V are left on this part and shock me every time I touch it as the machine is connected to power.

main-qimg-5710eb61d126a0d57adefe9447032cf5.webp

l_10184098_001.jpg

same story with the refrigerator also my espresso machine that has metal parts outside; like this one:

oscar-ii-34-testa.jpg

check all your wires for loose or frayed connections. You said it does this even with the new PSU? You might need to re-assemble the entire system outside of the case in a test bench to see if you can stop the problem.

the shocks are present even when the PSU is connected alone:

20191016_181907.jpg

But this picture was because I wanted to measure the current from neutral to chassis and it was 0A.

It is infuriating that your distribution box has a grounding bus but it was not used. What gives with that?

Yep! The box is designed to more safer electrical installation but the building owner choose not to install grounding system because that cost them some money and most people here don't need the ground because I think the electricity company already grounded the neutral wire.

I would check into the electrical regs and if you find out the wiring is in violation of code I would report the landlord/owner to the appropriate municipal agency. If the owner/landlord won't commit to correcting the code discrepancy I would consider a law suit or at least moving. The pictures you have taken of the electrical system would be solid evidence.

I called the electricity company, they said to my that their responsibility is to ground their mains and the owner responsibility is to ground the house.

So I can't sue anyone here ! welcome to Saudi Arabia :)

I certainly would not jury rig a ground.

Did not understand what you mean here ! Could you explain more ?

Jury Rig:
Jury rigging is both a noun and a verb describing makeshift repairs made with only the tools and materials at hand.

He's saying to get a licensed electrician to come to your house and do the work.

Do you know if it's a full strength shock or a lower current? Can you measure the current coming off the open ground? If it's high that's really not good.
I can think of two possible causes:
1) An appliance in your home has a short in it (could be anything, not necessarily the PSU) that is causing current to go to ground.
2) There is a short in the electrical wiring of the home causing current to go to ground.

Do you know if it's a full strength shock or a lower current?
I've noticed really strange things in the house.

AC Voltages on my appliances casing !! I measured the voltage from my coffee machine metal case to internal of dishwasher, it was 70V !!

From my coffee machine to neutral 145V !! The electrical wiring is as the electrician of the building guaranteed to me that I have to complain only if a line doesn't have a voltage, and that's easy because you can mix AC voltages around the house.

The thing is that the polarity of the L and N aren't fixed properly along all the house one example is the two sockets here, you can notice that they aren't aligned symmetrically.

20190930_181803.jpg

Can you measure the current coming off the open ground? If it's high that's really not good.

That's what I did in the previous picture and also at the same time is what is causing more confusion to me but actually it's not bad. Because the current from the device open ground to mains neutral is 0A !! As there's actually 110V floating on that ground !! So what I'm supposed to do ??

I'm thinking to short things out because other guy did it in his house and things is working with him because our electricity company is grounding their lines from the main transformer.

I can think of two possible causes:
1) An appliance in your home has a short in it (could be anything, not necessarily the PSU) that is causing current to go to ground.

Now the appliances are connected here are the refrigerator, the split air conditioner .. etc. But how would I know there's also the lamps wiring so now it's really complicated.

But if there's something that's shorted !! Hmmm I don't think so because everything is working ok. And to complicate things for you more check this video I recorded this afternoon.

2) There is a short in the electrical wiring of the home causing current to go to ground.

That's possible too .. but would be very difficult to find.

20191017_223731.jpg

It turned out that the neutral is grounded :)

I bootlegged the neutral to ground and it works fine now.

OK, after doing everything, the computer won't boot, black screen and blinking cursor !!!

What to do now ?

OK, after doing everything, the computer won't boot, black screen and blinking cursor !!!

What to do now ?

Remove C-MOS battery for 5 mins, and try booting again. If that doesnt work try another video card. Also try that card in a known good system. Post with results please. (Now to see how much damage was done by this electrical mix up. Again Im glad YOU did not get hurt or worse. Electricity is NO JOKE.)

Z

Remove C-MOS battery for 5 mins, and try booting again. If that doesnt work try another video card. Also try that card in a known good system. Post with results please.

I've tried that, didn't work and I don't have another GPU. But now the GPU isn't important because the rig used to work on the TV without any GPU with the motherboard HDMI.

I think the motherboard is gone, but if the motherboard is gone, then why it goes through the booting up process? The motherboard bios display is reading stuff every time. But it stuck at A9 !! I don't know what that supposed to mean, I checked the manual and it says bios setup started !

(Now to see how much damage was done by this electrical mix up.

I've a big concern that the first boot with the new mix have fried something, but again I think it's a small possibility because my friend who lives on another district, have done the same trick and it's working fine with him.

Again Im glad YOU did not get hurt or worse. Electricity is NO JOKE.)
I know it's not a joke, I've tried the 220V shocks couple times ago, but thanks for your concern about my safety :) You know I wouldn't do this mix if I knew that the neutral isn't grounded.

I've tried that, didn't work and I don't have another GPU. But now the GPU isn't important because the rig used to work on the TV without any GPU with the motherboard HDMI.

I think the motherboard is gone, but if the motherboard is gone, then why it goes through the booting up process? The motherboard bios display is reading stuff every time. But it stuck at A9 !! I don't know what that supposed to mean, I checked the manual and it says bios setup started !

I've a big concern that the first boot with the new mix have fried something, but again I think it's a small possibility because my friend who lives on another district, have done the same trick and it's working fine with him.

I know it's not a joke, I've tried the 220V shocks couple times ago, but thanks for your concern about my safety :) You know I wouldn't do this mix if I knew that the neutral isn't grounded.

The fact you see BIOS information tells me the GPU and motherboard are working at some level. I would disconnect anything but the CPU, GPU(unless onboard video is available) and 1 RAM stick plus a working keyboard and attempt when you see the BIOS screen to enter the BIOS. Upon doing so reset to default and see if it will run. Please update if you can. The A9 error code in some cases does indeed point to a MB or CPU issue.

Z

The fact you see BIOS information tells me the GPU and motherboard are working at some level.
OK I hope so because GPU is so expensive ! If it's the motherboard then I would buy the cheapest one from Aliexpress and that's it !! I've put a lot of money on this rig .. 2 broken GPUs that costed me $700+

And now what's coming in .. it could be CPU, motherboard .. etc.

+ It's difficult to move it around. I could buy a serious gaming laptop with 1080 and connect it to a TV if I wanted to .. or work to build a mini ATX gaming rig.

I would disconnect anything but the CPU, GPU(unless onboard video is available)

I have onboard video, my CPU 4770k.

and 1 RAM stick plus a working keyboard and attempt when you see the BIOS screen to enter the BIOS. Upon doing so reset to default and see if it will run. Please update if you can. The A9 error code in some cases does indeed point to a MB or CPU issue.

I've done that same results ..

first I've removed everything even the CPU

20191027_095717.jpg

cleaning the CPU

20191027_100632.jpg

new paste

20191027_100900.jpg

20191027_101507.jpg
Z

I dont think it will boot or POST without a CPU. Secondly With no HSF on the CPU it will shut down as a safety.

Z

I dont think it will boot or POST without a CPU. Secondly With no HSF on the CPU it will shut down as a safety.

Z

I returned everything and it's the same .... what could have been broken now ?

Hmmmm I'm not sure ,, one time I think it's the CPU and I go back and say it's the motherboard. Something is broken .. I don't know. I wish there's an extra motherboard or CPU to test this rig.

I'm thinking of buying a Xeon combo from Aliexpress.

20191028_193029.jpg

It worked !!

I'm so happy :)

I changed the GPU location to the 2nd PCI-E slot then returned it to the 1st slot. It didn't work on TV because I needed a monitor and boot from this setting menu.

Looks like you have a fix!!!! Is this the same GPU you thought was dead? Did you manage to get into Windows? It sounds like good news and I happy you got it working.

Z

Looks like you have a fix!!!! Is this the same GPU you thought was dead?

Yep .. I thought one of the parts is gone, the CPU, GPU or the motherboard. But eventually and somehow I moved the GPU to the 2nd PCI-E slot then got it back to the first one. Also booting with a PC monitor was a essential step, because I had to go with the bios booting menu that won't appear on a TV !!

First booting stuff like; motherboard logo, booting options ... etc, don't show up on a TV ! It has to be with a PC monitor.

Did you manage to get into Windows?

Yep yep .. absolutely ! and I played some COD III celebrating for this event :)

20191028_210342.jpg

It sounds like good news and I happy you got it working.

Z

Yep, you know what is the feeling to get that bios menu ??! It was like something beautiful in life, I was sooo happy to know that my stuff is working and nothing got broken or fried !!

Yep .. I thought one of the parts is gone, the CPU, GPU or the motherboard. But eventually and somehow I moved the GPU to the 2nd PCI-E slot then got it back to the first one. Also booting with a PC monitor was a essential step, because I had to go with the bios booting menu that won't appear on a TV !!

First booting stuff like; motherboard logo, booting options ... etc, don't show up on a TV ! It has to be with a PC monitor.

Yep yep .. absolutely ! and I played some COD III celebrating for this event :)

View attachment 207763

Yep, you know what is the feeling to get that bios menu ??! It was like something beautiful in life, I was sooo happy to know that my stuff is working and nothing got broken or fried !!

Yest, I have noticed that same effect on my entertainment system PC which is connected to a TV. I think it's because the post signal is VGA and most newer HD TVs don't support VGA.

Back