• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accessing one file on multiple PC (vm)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

Hi everyone,

Been away a little while but always come back here when I need answers :attn:.

Basically, I have been renewing all the computers & software in our small office ready for the launch of a new business (on a shoe string).

I use filemaker to store our databases at the moment and every time someone needs to use a file, they need to download it, use it and the re-upload it to our NAS - so we don't have multiple versions floating around the office at any one time. The software to run the file is on each computer. This is time consuming and not effective - We have multiple licenses, so two computers can run the same database at anyone time.

I just don't know the best way to achieve this?? Shared workgroup on a master pc? or something else.........

Give me your thoughts

Can the software run the files off the network drive? If so, map a drive and have them use that.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is a set of scripts. One to pull the file locally for them to work with and another to upload the current file to the server (checking if the server copy is newer).

I haven't tried it across a network drive yet but that will be my first port of call, do you have a link to a good guide for a set up?

The scripts idea sound good, but might be slightly impractical - I guess it could work like a code version management system.......

A guide for setting up a mapped network drive? I don't have any guides I reference since I know how to do it, but I'm sure there are a ton available online. You will need to create a share first, set permissions, then map the drive from the client stations.

If this is a domain setup, that makes it a lot easier.

A guide for setting up a mapped network drive? I don't have any guides I reference since I know how to do it, but I'm sure there are a ton available online. You will need to create a share first, set permissions, then map the drive from the client stations.

If this is a domain setup, that makes it a lot easier.

Thanks thideras,

I'll have a look around the net to find a good guide, but I shouldn't have any problems (I sort of get the concept) and I'll host the file on one of the slave drives to make it simpler.

Back