• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ack, stop the scratching!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Causality

Ok, as you can probably tell my sound is very scratchy when I play certain games. (Not all, which I find odd)

I have downlaoded the latest drivers for my onboard sound, but it didnt help. My sound is still staticy and annoying in certain games. Is there anything I can do? I was considering buying a sound card, thinking it might be a flaw in the onboard.

ASUS on-board sound is usually pretty good. Is it a bad connection possibly? Try some other speakers, wires, headphones, ect. If it ends up being the MB you could always send it back.

try using different speakers...if you do not have any extra speakers laying around plug in a pair of headphones and see if the sound is still crappy because your onboard sound card might be fine. ;)

could be a codec problem. I had this problem in mpeg and divx files with mp3 audio, but not in winamp. I uninstalled ALL audio codecs, and reinstalled, and this fixed the problem. My audio sounded more like static than scratchy though.

I have narrowed it down to one game causing the problem. Its really annoying too! If I uninstall all my codecs, is there a way to reinstall them? (In XP) I see the option to remove each individually....

By the way, I am not using onboard sound anymore. This problem didnt make me buy a sound card, I've been wanting to get 5.1 sound for a while. I'm using a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach and I still get the problem. :p I think the game is the problem!

Back