• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding external speakers-TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just producing the light doesn't necessarily mean it's sending a decipherable signal.

That is true, there is one thing about the connection to the TV's Digital Optical Out port, it doesn't go in "flush" but I am reluctant to force it....bad things can happen.

Looks like I've run out of luck here, thought it would be a slam-dunk going with the digital optical audio out ->adapter->RCA to PC speaker cable-> speakers.

No stones left unturned on this path...I'm going to see if I can do a return on the digital optical audio adapter, will eat restocking fee,

return shipping and go on from there.

:shrug:

Stupid question, but are the PC speakers plugged in to AC power, turned on, & turned up?

Stupid question, but are the PC speakers plugged in to AC power, turned on, & turned up?

Great question actually, made me take a second look. Yes, AC plugged in, turned on and speaker volume turned up.

Sadly, nothing.

Earlier I had taken a Q tip dipped in alcohol and cleaned the digial optical out port, just in case it had enough dust on it to limit the optical. Made no difference.

Dear Tim Sir,
One last option may be to try contacting manufacturer to see if what you're trying to accomplish is possible on your model. The answer will largely depend on the intelligence level of human kind on the other side of the phone line..

It's been so long since phone assistance was common, I had forgotten that such was possible. I shall look for a phone number....

what is the audio/video source? dvd player? game console? pc?
show pic of all connections on tv and audio/video sources with labels will help me to help you.
i am pretty savvy when it comes to makeshift audio outputs

Not sure if you found away to fix this problem yet.
But I had this problem with my TV from 78.
I took the back off it and ran a wire from Speakers amp to a RCA plug I added to the back of the TV and added a on off switch to the speakers wire. This allowed me to shut off the internal speakers and use my HiFi for watching TV.
I was watching five-0 and all in the family with a HiFi.

Basically piggy back the single from the TVs speakers amp output into a external speaker setup. I'm not sure if would be so straight forwarded with a newer TV. In 78 a TV had real speakers and a real amp.
But if you don't have a problem taking the back off your TV and doing some wiring if worth a shot if you can't do anything else.

Last edited:
Not sure if you found away to fix this problem yet.
But I had this problem with my TV from 78.
I took the back off it and ran a wire from Speakers amp to a RCA plug I added to the back of the TV and added a on off switch to the speakers wire. This allowed me to shut off the internal speakers and use my HiFi for watching TV.
I was watching five-0 and all in the family with a HiFi.

Basically piggy back the single from the TVs speakers amp output into a external speaker setup. I'm not sure if would be so straight forwarded with a newer TV. In 78 a TV had real speakers and a real amp.
But if you don't have a problem taking the back off your TV and doing some wiring if worth a shot if you can't do anything else.

The thought has occurred to me...

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5612
RCA to female 3.5mm. This one's only 6" but should work fine for $1.76 + ship. I use the same thing for my tv but the out is a male end 3.5 and it's 6 ft direct to my left A5+.

The adapter I bought for this is similar: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882639047

The TV does have RCA but "in" only.

All I really wanted to do was connect a cheap 2.0 PC speaker set to this TV. The only audio "out" is the digital optical out port.

This was a fairly inexpensive TV, bought in 2012 at Costco; an 'impulse buy' for sure, but a big improvement over the failing Toshiba 42" that was in-service, from

2005. No "smart" features, no wifi, but a Google Chromecast brings in streaming video nicely.

I'm trying to talk myself into getting a more upsale(and larger) TV for the living room, and put this one in front of my exercise machines in the den.

Perhaps the TV is outputting a compressed (5.1) stream and the DAC can only accept stereo?

i made a video about how to add a headphone to a flat screen tv so please watch it

I am new at making videos on youtube so please be nice i have only 2 subs so please sub and help he me a better youtuber.

I see where you set the optical digital out "active" in the TV setup. Did you set it to Stereo only or something like 2 channel mixdown? Signals from HDMI inputs and HDTV will often output a Dolby digital 5.1 bitstream. Your little DAC most likely will not process it. You need basically, 2 channel stereo at 16 bits 44.1kHz or 48kHz.

Just a thought.

I see where you set the optical digital out "active" in the TV setup. Did you set it to Stereo only or something like 2 channel mixdown? Signals from HDMI inputs and HDTV will often output a Dolby digital 5.1 bitstream. Your little DAC most likely will not process it. You need basically, 2 channel stereo at 16 bits 44.1kHz or 48kHz.

Just a thought.

Pretty slim pickin's in the audio settings...

audio.jpg

I had a similar issue with sound on account of the fact that I don't hear so good. :)

I bought a Vizio 36 inch 2.1 sound bar from Best Buy after doing a bit of research. It connected via the optical cable and a power cable. The sub woofer was wireless to the sound bar and I plugged it into power behind the couch. Fixed my hearing issue and wasn't too intrusive or expensive.

Back