• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adheisive removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molybdym

I am sure there is another thread out there about this, so if someone can direct me to it, much appreciated. But if not, what, if any, way can thermal glue/epozy be removed?

u mean thermal adhesive like the ones used under gpu hsf's? if yes, u kud either heat it up by playing a 3d game for an hour or so... that wud soften up the adhesive. or u kud also put it in the freezer, wrap it in a bag, let it stay for 30mins, then take it out, that wud make the glue a little bit brittle.

Thanks, it's actually the ramSinks on my friend's video card, but it should be the same procedure. . .right?

there's another removing advice:
get a blank cd-rom,
put it middle of the gpu/pcb surface,
and remove heatsink with knife, or anything else...

cd-rom'll damaged, but pcb survive...
(tested on vodoo3 :))

Here's the best way <g> Put the card in a ziplock bag. Put the bag in the freezer for 20 min. User a butter knife to then carefully take them off.

Add in whereismy386's CD-rom trick too. That's nice <g>
-Toysrme

Ok, you got the heatsink off... how do you get the glue off the parts? Sanding?
Any cool chemical that will solve 'poxi ?

/Paxmax

i scratch my voodoo3's gpu surface carefully with my victorinox knife,
standart sanding 4 heatsink surface...

I used an Orang Cleaner to get the glue from my heatsink off and worked like a charm!! Another way I get glue of of glass, metal, plastic is using WD40 but have never tried if on a CPU/RAM part. If it were the heatsink than do it.

Sanding is bad. I still say isopropyl alcohol. If that dosn't work, Acetone-2-win.

The best way t get epoxy off is the same way it cures. Heat. So a stay in a 400F oven for about 45 min will have it completly un cured. Then just wipe away!
(don't do that iwht computer parts, it would be bad. it's a joke)
-Toysrme

This post interests me as I've just bought a hercules prophet 9700 pro; I was a bit dissapointed to find the ramsinks are epoxied on and did wonder briefly about getting them off. I was thinking though, it'd be better to make a watercooling setup using the ramsinks as the base of the "block" a similar approach to direct die cooling, except you're using the heatsink already there. Some thinnish lexan/perspex/thin sheet-metal would probably be ideal to make a box around the heatsink, then you could watercool and not have to worry (so much) about knackering that nice new video card.

Frost hook me up with those sinks bro! I have larger Aluminum sinks, but they have to be slighlty modded to fit over the little thingys between the RAM on the 9700. Trade ya for somthin

Sorry Elroy - I was only thinking of taking the ram sinks off. They're on good and proper, so I'm not going to trash a £300 video card just yet. I was suggesting that it might be do-able to make a waterblock type setup using the existing ramsinks as the base though. Can't you file down or hacksaw the ramsink you've got? I haven't even tried overclocking my radeon yet.

I did that and added some as3 after it was nice and clean
but the pressure isn't as much now
i was thinking of using a penny after i smooth it out
(lap a penny :D)
what do u guys think
i can't leave it like it is if i decide to overclock it again..

Last edited:
Aarrgh.... there is that AC3 again !!! It keeps popping up everywhere, sure sure "s" and "c" are kinda close on the keyoard but.... :D
LOL! I'm gonna start a "sticky" thread on how to spell Arctic Silver, the long way or the short way!!! :D

Back