• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adheisive removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molybdym

I am sure there is another thread out there about this, so if someone can direct me to it, much appreciated. But if not, what, if any, way can thermal glue/epozy be removed?

spazzkid

u mean thermal adhesive like the ones used under gpu hsf's? if yes, u kud either heat it up by playing a 3d game for an hour or so... that wud soften up the adhesive. or u kud also put it in the freezer, wrap it in a bag, let it stay for 30mins, then take it out, that wud make the glue a little bit brittle.

OP
Molybdym

Molybdym

Thanks, it's actually the ramSinks on my friend's video card, but it should be the same procedure. . .right?

ShadowFolder

there's another removing advice:
get a blank cd-rom,
put it middle of the gpu/pcb surface,
and remove heatsink with knife, or anything else...

cd-rom'll damaged, but pcb survive...
(tested on vodoo3 :))

Toysrme

Here's the best way <g> Put the card in a ziplock bag. Put the bag in the freezer for 20 min. User a butter knife to then carefully take them off.

Add in whereismy386's CD-rom trick too. That's nice <g>
-Toysrme

Paxmax

Ok, you got the heatsink off... how do you get the glue off the parts? Sanding?
Any cool chemical that will solve 'poxi ?

/Paxmax

ShadowFolder

i scratch my voodoo3's gpu surface carefully with my victorinox knife,
standart sanding 4 heatsink surface...

Cuper

I used an Orang Cleaner to get the glue from my heatsink off and worked like a charm!! Another way I get glue of of glass, metal, plastic is using WD40 but have never tried if on a CPU/RAM part. If it were the heatsink than do it.

Toysrme

Sanding is bad. I still say isopropyl alcohol. If that dosn't work, Acetone-2-win.

The best way t get epoxy off is the same way it cures. Heat. So a stay in a 400F oven for about 45 min will have it completly un cured. Then just wipe away!
(don't do that iwht computer parts, it would be bad. it's a joke)
-Toysrme

frostmeister

This post interests me as I've just bought a hercules prophet 9700 pro; I was a bit dissapointed to find the ramsinks are epoxied on and did wonder briefly about getting them off. I was thinking though, it'd be better to make a watercooling setup using the ramsinks as the base of the "block" a similar approach to direct die cooling, except you're using the heatsink already there. Some thinnish lexan/perspex/thin sheet-metal would probably be ideal to make a box around the heatsink, then you could watercool and not have to worry (so much) about knackering that nice new video card.

ElroyCarbon

Frost hook me up with those sinks bro! I have larger Aluminum sinks, but they have to be slighlty modded to fit over the little thingys between the RAM on the 9700. Trade ya for somthin

frostmeister

Sorry Elroy - I was only thinking of taking the ram sinks off. They're on good and proper, so I'm not going to trash a £300 video card just yet. I was suggesting that it might be do-able to make a waterblock type setup using the existing ramsinks as the base though. Can't you file down or hacksaw the ramsink you've got? I haven't even tried overclocking my radeon yet.

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
I did that and added some as3 after it was nice and clean
but the pressure isn't as much now
i was thinking of using a penny after i smooth it out
(lap a penny :D)
what do u guys think
i can't leave it like it is if i decide to overclock it again..

Last edited:

Paxmax

Aarrgh.... there is that AC3 again !!! It keeps popping up everywhere, sure sure "s" and "c" are kinda close on the keyoard but.... :D
LOL! I'm gonna start a "sticky" thread on how to spell Arctic Silver, the long way or the short way!!! :D