• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for upgrading to FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Freeken spot on post. No BS. Straight speak.

That heat thing you mention is exactly why I suggested the FX-6300 because you are not lying about HOT...using 8 cores.

RGone...ster.

with an overkill loop (360+240 rad, all corsair fans push/pull, lapped cpu, decent paste)

playing a game of BF4 at 4.9ghz 1.53v for 4 hours gets my cpu to about 40-45*c (max is apparently 62*c) also it gets loud with 10+ high speed fans.

(atm I got xfire back in as I wanted more powaa in BF4, and that adds more heat in the case)

think of it this way, to take your rig from what you have and get a decent FX8350 build..

8350 £140
PSU £120+
waterloop £200+
RAM £70
SSD £80 (because HDDs are slow)

(sterling as im lazy)

an i7, mobo and ssd at stock will more than likely beat ^^ that build.

without the heat issue, hassle of a full loop, works out cheaper tbh, intel insurance, wont bottleneck sli 760s, utilises an SSD properly, memory controller x10 better, upgrade paths, not 3 years old, higher scores/epeen in benches, scale well with a slight oc etc

BUT.. and that's a big butt.. (im keeping it unbiased)

I love AMD chips, they are rock solid, in general cheaper platforms, fun to overclock, good for amateur (and pro) benching/overcooking, they have the name FX, you don't have to go all out on a custom loop for 4.4ghz, with an SSD are pretty fluid/quick in windows.

but then refer to paragraph 1 :p

Back