• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Advisable to re-apply thermal paste when removing water block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gutlessVADER

Registered
I'm about to get a new motherboard, but will still be using my 1100T and H100 (which has the stock pre-applied paste on it). Will I be fine if I just stick it back on, or should I clean and re-apply? I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 here, as well as their thermal paste remover and thermal surface purifier. The last time I tried to use it it didn't go well, my old heatsink still has paste all over it :(

I think 9 out of 10 members would say reapply using the Arctic Silver 5 paste, and would agree with them also. AJ.

Here is a simple guide to help you to get the best result! Good luck.

Clean and re-apply always.

Even though AS5 is still good, it's an old product, conductive, and incredibly viscous. You'd be better off with Gelid's TIM (GX-Supreme). It's cheap, it is not as viscous as AS5, thus, easy to apply, and performs pretty well. Not to mention it is not conductive.

I feel like I screwed it up; had to move it around everywhere to get the H100 loops around the mounts on both sides.

Back