• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After help getting a router/modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Neednig abit of help picking out a cheap router/modem as I look to finally upgrade my connection.

What I am after is either a router/modem;

Be able to setup to use a fiber connection with vlan tagging (ISP has told me if it doesn't have vlan tagging it won't work on the network) + be able to use a vdsl connection

or

Be able to just use vdsl

the catch is I want to make sure I can flash it with DD-WRT, buying from amazon please as I can normally get free shipping.

Cheers,

Bandit.

When you say "cheap" what is your reference point? Can you give us a ceiling in dollars? And is this US currency?

$20-25 USD not sure if possible but I was looking at price point wise https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-N300...pID=41dD8ys8N6L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch but my ISP said it wouldn't work as it doesn't have vlan tagging if I went on a fiber connection (plus I have to get consent from other people down my drive way) so far now going with vdsl just want to future proof when I do move I have something with both otherwise if not possible to have both at that price just vdsl and able to flash DD-WRT

Get a standalone modem and a standalone router. For a router, there's a $50 or so T-Mobile branded Asus that can be reflashed to DD-WRT.

Ok I sucked it up and got a Netgear DM200, flashed on OpenWRT.

New question is anyone here running OpenWRT on 18.06 with the darkmatter theme? I see its an unofficial theme but the ones that are there on the OpenWRT wiki don't look all that amazing.

Also what do people suggest as packages to add onto OpenWRT so far I have only seen adblock as appealing however I don't really know what is out there so suggestions would be great.

Back